What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

People who vape...question

F

feral

I'm a loooonnnnggggggg time toker here. Started in 1974.
Question is I'm at a point now where regular smoking bothers my lungs way to much.
There's no way I will quit using my herb so I was thinking of either going the cooking route and make edibles or vape. Although I think it would probably be best to do both and alternate so I don't tax my lungs
Anyhoot the question for those of you that started vaping because of lung problems is how long did it take for your lungs to feel normal?
I understand a lot of variables play into the healing time, just trying to get some kind of idea.
Thanks folks.

your lungs start healing as soon as you make the transition.
vaping is the natural 'next step' for your getting high process
i went from a trumpet mouthpeice to a great vape (da buddha) and i felt like a connoisseur then i progress and attached my whip to a nice bong and made a Vong (vapo + bong), but good things like that never last and the cops took it after an unlawful search.
now im back to my trumpet mouthpeice
ps i hate cops

f1auto

It depends how f****ed your lungs are... and how old you are... and how healthy.

if you are young (under 35) should recover to very good standard if you have been a heavy smoker, but will take years and years

over 45, your lungs will never be "normal" again, but will be improved dramatically and you should still live a long time

55+ and your lungs will never be the same (good) again, and it will take off 10-15 years (minimum) off your life, thats what the science says.

good idea vaping for your lungs

GrassRoots

Can't really give you an answer on healing time since I've never used my vaporizer exclusively. I wanted to chime in, however, to let you know that you should save all your vaporized "duff" (herb that you've vaporized) in a nice big glass jar. Once you've vaped an ounce or two you can use that duff to make an excellent and highly effective batch of budder. You can find more info in the cooking forum. Best of luck to you on your transition.

GrassRoots

F

feral

Thanks for the responses. Especially like how I can get double bang for the buck with the duff.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Note that the high differs between toking and vaping. Personally, I find it greatly reduces the couchlock effect. Whether that's good or bad is up to you. I'd suggest trying one out first. If you can't lay hands on a full scale model (volcano, surfer, vapor bros) try a smaller hand held unit that uses a lighter to heat a ceramic insert. If you like it, cool, you've got a traveling unit. If not, you're only out $50-$60 instead of $200-$600.

Sleepy

Veteran
once you vape, you will never go back...

if you see smoke on the exhale, the temperature is too high...

the flavors you will enjoy will having you think you have short-changed yourself all this time...

enjoy!

C

Cheeb

check out the magic flight launch box if your looking for something portable. reddit turned me onto it..those treetards know their stuff.

otherwise I'd recommend the Volcano if you can afford.
Whip style vaporizers like the Silver Surfer are also pretty nice.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
I love our vape, wouldn't trade it for the world. Took about 3-4 months to see any real difference in lung capacity. I did see a slight difference in the spiro but nothing huge. Big difference is my sinuses and no cough. I can really smell & taste again, when I bike I don't have to stop & spit, it's quite pleasant.

I have never seen any data on weed smoking vs. permanent decline of lungs however. My lung decline is due to industrial exposure, not weed smoking.

Dont get me wrong i love to smoke, and some buds arent even good enough to vape imo. But vape is like nothing on your lungs, you feel like your breathing warm air (because you are). You wont even think its working the first time you use it. As said earlier if you see smoke your temp is too high. i recommend one of the 30 to 50 dollar box and hands free whip style vaporizers off ebay. hands free means you can add more weed without having to wait for it to cool down.
The only draw back is if the weed isnt frosty nice nugs, if its less than top quality your prolly better off smoking it, because it wont be top quality in the vape. im pretty sure the vape strictly realses the trichromes and weed with less trichromes gives you less medicated vapor. Hope that makes sense i just vaped a bowl myself.

fabvariousk

Veteran

I don't know if you can really count this as a true vaporizer but this hybrid is my hands down favorite way to smoke.
I tried a heat gun and other types of true vapes.
They never quite did it for me because in the end I like to feel the burn. Then I discovered the hot glass method.
If you can get someone to make you one try it.
The coolest thing about it is that it gives you a long vape before combustion. Rather than starting a fire in the bowl with a lighter and torching flower and flavor. I have found you can even taste test buds right off the tree with this method.
I have turned some old timers on to this and they feel like they are fifteen again.

tr1ck_

I don't vape exclusively because I still love a nice joint or a bong hit from time to time, but I definitely vape most of the time. I will have to agree with Freezerboy when he says that vaping seems to reduce couchlock somewhat. I feel like the high is a bit more "Clear" or something.

I would also suggest you do not take my route to vaping, first I started with a $60 cheapo vape, used that for a while, got tired of vaping and went back to smoking. Then about a year later I decided I should worry more about my lung health and I upgraded to a vapor brothers for $200. A few months down the road once again and I quit using it very often. Finally about 2 years after I was first introduced to vaproizers I decided to take the plunge and get a volcano. Almost a year later I still love my volcano as much as the day I got it.

If you do not plan on quitting weed, and you are worried about the health of your lungs, I think getting a vape would be a good idea, and I would really advise you to do your research and get 1 good vape the first time, instead of 3 like me :) Also like Grassroots mentioned, save all the left over "duff" and you can make a nice batch of butter once every month or two.

b8man

Veteran
About a week for me to feel better. And I usually start coughing up bits of tar for a couple of weeks after i quit smoking. Then you start feeling disgustingly healthy and begin noticing flavors again.

Vaping is undoubtedly the healthier way of doing it. But I still need that hard hit on the back of my throat every now and again, so try and make it 75% vaping, 25% smoking. Lungs don't seem to suffer much - no coughing and only occasional flecks of tar in phlegm after exercise. Vape is the wine, smoke is the double-shot.