What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Big Ag Wants to Sell You GMO Marijuana

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Big Ag Wants to Sell You GMO Marijuana

[YOUTUBEIF]7akr74GLQ4w[/YOUTUBEIF]

does Ellen Brown have a point? i know its not that new, but worth discussion no?

Bumbatar

um yeah ok... this is just a bunch of crap propaganda from the no on 64 folks in California who were trying to keep marijuana illegal so black market prices would remain high. They had great success stopping legalization for years by lying to voters and putting forward bull shit deliberately sabotaged initiatives like California Cannabis Hemp Initiative. They took advantage of voters trust.In the end big Cali growers are no different than greedy corporations like Monsanto that they rail against just a bunch of money hungry liars trying to subvert democracy.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Don't worry.

No reason to because everybody assured me that this wouldn't happen every time I spoke about the subject.

That link was a good read Phatty thanks!

White Beard

GROWERS’ RIGHTS, IM TELLIN YA....

fuck the whole GMO thing...there simply IS no reason for regulating cannabis, any more than there is for regulating corn.

If we can grow it and do what we want with it, MonBayer can jump up my ass...and if we can’t but they can? No, precious, that won’t work at all.

It’s not a corporate issue, it’s not a natural resource, it’s not a state’s-Rights issue, it is a plant and a raw material and an agricultural product. It should join the other agricultural products which have known and legitimate healthful, medical, and industrial uses.

The fact that we can grow it and cure it and extract it in ways that get us high really shouldn’t be the focus of legalization.

Bayer/Monsanto should not be allowed to own cannabis genetics under any circumstances or conditions, nor should any other for-profit entity.

(Ironic side note about how anti-government types forget all the time that government is the only thing standing between us and Big Ag, Big Oil, Big Pharma...)

Mengsk

The video is from 2 1/2 years ago. Whatever your opinion or stance, you can see from the information even if it is little more than a news alert what may be happening. If it is difficult to tell which side of an agenda (or their own) a source is promoting, it might be an objective or impartial source. In my experience Bayer Monsanto etc (like the figure heads at this point) don't advertise or ask for people to buy their products/services. It is more of what is pushed on the shelves, forced on consumers or what is produced in large quantities. Weed on the shelves here is being sold at $20/gram and $75 1/8th today it's on an incline as far as I can tell. If that is stuff grown with a full line of monsanto or miracle gro products then it is just sad. Not to sound like an alarmist for the indoor hydro grower, but this is an economic mistake or disaster (waiting to happen). At large scale, using natural resources to full advantage without toxic products or waste has numerous benefits and scarce downsides. Planting one million little plastic pots and feeding them synthetics is the most expensive, environmentally taxing, and arguably crooked way to possibly grow any produce. An economist and/or accountant can fairly easily count up the difference in cost for different styles of grows. That can be projected, it is not that hard to do or a secret. So we can see many many reasons why and how weed is costing what is does. Now hothouse tomatoes have been around for years. But has anyone actually done a side by side on hothouse vs homegrown tomatoes lately? Would you not consider one inedible? Or just keep about business as usual as long as yields are high? There are two 'firsts' here I think perhaps. If weed is legal and monsanto can move in, in the public, as it were. Then I can argue for 100% sustainability, which in essence means not buying anything or homesteading almost. No reliance on petroleum, no reliance on the grocery store, no reliance on the bank (now internet is another thing altogether haha). In my day to day life I can just about get away with not using any petroleum or byproducts. Maybe, if necessary, I could be a 50 or 100 rockwool cube per year customer. But not all rockwool. So around 2% instead of 100 or 1/50. At least I feel some level of safety and security knowing that cannabis growers are among the more level headed in the population. If they outlawed grodan or drain to waste and made organic mandatory I'd probably vote yes even though I remain suspicious and skeptical that the law passing would still have greedy shrewd shrews lined up to ruin it before it has a chance to be implemented.

Last edited:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GROWERS’ RIGHTS, IM TELLIN YA....

fuck the whole GMO thing...there simply IS no reason for regulating cannabis, any more than there is for regulating corn.

If we can grow it and do what we want with it, MonBayer can jump up my ass...and if we can’t but they can? No, precious, that won’t work at all.

It’s not a corporate issue, it’s not a natural resource, it’s not a state’s-Rights issue, it is a plant and a raw material and an agricultural product. It should join the other agricultural products which have known and legitimate healthful, medical, and industrial uses.

The fact that we can grow it and cure it and extract it in ways that get us high really shouldn’t be the focus of legalization.

Bayer/Monsanto should not be allowed to own cannabis genetics under any circumstances or conditions, nor should any other for-profit entity.

(Ironic side note about how anti-government types forget all the time that government is the only thing standing between us and Big Ag, Big Oil, Big Pharma...)

I agree with almost everything you say. The only thing I disagree with is the off subject side note. :biggrin:
I believe we've entered a new era where Big Ag, Big Oil and Big Pharma are in cahoots with Big Gov. The only thing the gov is doing is regulating the pace of the takeover such that the majority of the population is blinded to what is really happening. Just my opinion.

St. Phatty

Just Say No To GMO

I don't know what in my kitchen is GMO.

Pears for 79 cents a pound ? Bananas, not made in the US. Oranges.

Hamburger. Mayonnaise.

Are most products GMO at this point ? It's got to be more than just corn & soybeans.

Guess my hamburger used to be a cow that probably ate GMO feed.

St. Phatty

Corn and soy are in almost anything you don't cook yourself.

What I wonder about is Mercury.

They use metallic catalyst surfaces that contain mercury, when they make High Fructose Corn Syrup.

I REALLY don't want to give up HFCS entirely. That would mean giving up Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce. That was one of the things I was going to put on my fried road kill skunk to help me survive the Apocalypse.

I think there's a limit where they don't require that all ingredients be listed. Parts per Billion.

Would like to know how much mercury is in the HFCS in Sweet Baby Ray's, even if it is parts per billion or parts per trillion.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
What I wonder about is Mercury.

They use metallic catalyst surfaces that contain mercury, when they make High Fructose Corn Syrup.

I REALLY don't want to give up HFCS entirely. That would mean giving up Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce. That was one of the things I was going to put on my fried road kill skunk to help me survive the Apocalypse.

I think there's a limit where they don't require that all ingredients be listed. Parts per Billion.

Would like to know how much mercury is in the HFCS in Sweet Baby Ray's, even if it is parts per billion or parts per trillion.

mercury is only a problem if you eat something daily that contains buttloads of it. (think swordfish skin, YUCK! yes, i tried it...once.) a river near here has mercury contamination in the fish, and for years it was against the law to keep the fish & eat them. then, some bright boy figured out that you would have to eat about twenty lbs of the fish per week for fucking ever to get enough mercury to make you sick. they still tell women of childbearing age to not eat them, but the rest of us will die of something else before mercury gets a shot at us. babies in utero are MUCH more at risk from contaminants like mercury etc.

Danielloveschoc

This is the real downside of cannabis legislation. At the moment in the UK it is illegal of course, but I can grow my own in small quantities without being persecuted because the police don't really care unless you're selling as I'm not harming anyone.

However, big money is currently flooding in to cannabis lobbying here in the UK and even the Prime Minister's husband is the biggest investor in GW Pharma - the only company with the license to grow medical cannabis in the UK

I imagine when the government is receiving tax receipts from big pharma due to cannabis they will crack down on home growers like me because then us small growers will be causing harm - to their back pocket!!!

Brother Nature

All of the best strains and breeders came from prohibition. Big marijuana is fine for most, I mean fucking Bud Light is the most popular beer in the US right, what does that tell you about the taste of the general public? I don't think many of us here at IC are the general public, we know what we want and we'll keep at it regardless of what were told to do. Adaptation is key to evolution.