What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

'In Search of the ULTIMATE SATIVA and INDICA'....(Rare Land-Race Hunting.)

mr.brunch

Veteran
Lovely stuff, glad to see the big man is safe.
If I was chilling out in a bath on a mountain side, possibly slightly medicated, I don’t think I’d be worried about a WiFi connection either....that’s living the dream right there. Hats off. :tiphat:

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I'm glad he is OK. What is he finding in all those isolated valleys? There should be some good land-race stuff there.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Fuckin' A!!!

That's what I call a sojourn. And to come out of it with SACRED seeds? Speechless and envious.

More good vibes going his way for the rest of his journey.

He's having a real blast - venturing into remote areas - on a quest for good seed - and many of us wish that we could be there too.

Glad everything is cool and mission progress further..

thanx for pictures and this nice story,amazing Himalaya mountain..

Wish best for SEEDHUNTER adventure,hope there will be no any problems on his way..

I will convey your best wishes to him Dog Star.

Maybe they brought nail polish in on the helicopter mate? It is fascinating to see, less technology though I'm sure people still communicate with the outside world. The lifestyle might look simpler (or more impressive look at the wood carving!) but surely supplies are brought in. I've not visited either place but it kind of reminds me of Alaska in the sense people use airplanes to come and go. Clothing, household items, gadgets. No power or cell towers but I'm sure people know what year it is etc.

Most people would consider how these people in Nepal, or throughout the Himalayan mountain country live as being 'Off Grid' - in many respects -

yay!!! he is in a very peaceful place, crazy pictures. makes me want to get some loot together and go for a while. ultralight glider camping?

Yeah! - gets the wanderlust going in many of us.

I'm curious, did he mention what their main food crops are?

No he didn't say but : Nepal is richly endowed with agro-biodiversity. Rice, maize, millet, wheat, barley and buckwheat are the major staple food crops. Similarly, oilseeds, potato, tobacco, sugarcane, jute and cotton are the important cash crops whereas lentil, gram, pigeon pea, blackgram, horsegram and soyben are the important pulse crops.

Yak with chilly pepper. Sounds great! So chillies for sure. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a very high protein/carb diet.

Most will certainly not be consuming much if any western processed foods - that's a given.

Lovely stuff, glad to see the big man is safe.
If I was chilling out in a bath on a mountain side, possibly slightly medicated, I don’t think I’d be worried about a WiFi connection either....that’s living the dream right there. Hats off. :tiphat:

For sure - he's just enjoying the trip - although the altitude does have some effect on him - and he gets out of breath easier than at sea level - which is quite normal.

I'm glad he is OK. What is he finding in all those isolated valleys? There should be some good land-race stuff there.

That's the plan - but naturally we won't know until what he finds has been cultivated - and selections made.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I suspect that the collected seeds will be available to anyone who might want to work with them.....

It really depends on what arrives back at base central in Europe, unmolested, and viable.

Will there be sales of the collected seeds or do we have to wait for a breeding project?

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice to see all is well with our good friend and safe I was beginning to think he had gone to see his distant cousin the yeti maybes who knows.:biggrin: regards to him and the crew.:tiphat:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yes - The Seed Hunter has been busy sending us some more cool pictures of his first impressions in Bhutan - Looks like he had to clean his act up a bit and get his hair trimmed.
*words in bold text are from The Seed Hunter.

Just been having a chat with the lads down the barbers,shave and a trim,got a date with a hot yeti momma tonight!!

picture.php

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Tell Gypsy I have latitudes and longitudes I will give him later ,.. I am eating shit, yes I am about to have sun dried yak meat fried in yak fat and chillie-cheese..........AGAIN Bhutan's main export is hydro-electricity which they sell to India,incredible country.

picture.php

It's FREEZING up there at these altidudes , the hot stone bath I had they heat the rocks under corrugated tin sheets in a fire pit,fill the bath with water from the stream,drop enough glowing hot rocks in and voila instant hot-tub with incredible views, pull the plug when finished, but enough of the tub,here's the toilet.

picture.php

picture.php

*Now that's a dodgy looking Khazi - if ever I saw one - lol

'Khazi' is slang for toilet, possibly being derived from the Cockney word 'carsey'. It is also speculated that it could come from the African language word, Zulu or Swahili, 'M'khazi' that is used to refer to a latrine. It is now most commonly used in Liverpool.

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Footware is important up here Lowas is the choice of boot ,great boot for mountains,ran down piles of scree wearing them gaining momentum and speed and they stick like gecko toe-pads on a wall,this is them....or rather one of them.

picture.php

And another pic showing one beside a pile of shredded leaf,bud,and stem I laboriously de-seeded.

picture.php

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Got up to a monastery just below a ridge,maybe 2700 meters,they had just cremated a monk,and were putting ashes of his burnt photograph and a smidgen of his human ashes in balls of dough they were about to bake,I never hung around for lunch!

picture.php

Another 200 meters up a steep incline above the monastery is a shack,inside the shack is a trainee Lamma on a 3 year 3 month enlightenment quest, he sees no one,he speaks to a higher Lamma once a year for teachings so I climb the goat track,and I am near his shack sitting soaking up the silence and the view,the solitude even,when I see a plant,withered and brown,but it's cannabis,tiny thing no bigger than a couple of feet tall,I get a couple of small heads and start dropping down to the valley floor,look at the seeds I got from it,tiny in comparison to standard sized seeds.

picture.php

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Being Higher in the mountains "off the beaten path", probably means more isolated populations closer resembling an unadulterated land race than plants lower in the valley susceptible to wind carried pollen/human intervention over time.

Here is some info on trait inheritance and calyx/seed size.

Does A Male Or Female Pass On More Genetics To Their Offspring?: From February 2018

Link To Thread:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=350271

White Fire is a famous cross. Fire Og female x (reversed female) The White. Would it be the same if the other way around? It would be a great test. Natural males are an unknown factor (crap shoot) since they don't grow buds.

One way to test this is to take 2 stable but non related varieties (A and B). Take 2 clones off one female plant from one variety (A) and 2 clones off of another female from the other variety (B). Take 1 clone from each variety and reverse them onto the other variety (A-reversed x B, B-reversed x A). This way we will find out of there is some natural process that is different when DNA is donated via pollen or in the calyx.

It makes absolutely no difference which parent in a cross is male and which is female. The genetic potential of the offspring is the same either way. The only practical difference is the resultant seed size may vary depending on which parent is the female, and this is due to the size of the calyx on the female.

The phenotypes seen in the offspring from any cross or pollination are the result of the dominant alleles inherited from each parent.

Hope this helps. :tiphat:

I've done the double reverse and there was no difference in the offspring phenotypes as expected. The one difference was that seed size from the cross was different due to the maternal parents having considerably different sized calyx.

There is no standard seed size with Cannabis, Skunk #1 is 50-60 per gram.
I have others that are over 800 to one gram and big ones that are 12 to one gram.

I also pollinate and then wait 10 weeks or more to harvest the seeds, I like them 100% done, they are viable much longer then seeds make quickly in 4 weeks and harvested. Many seed producers do not want to wait for reasons of space and time or to be able to use the deseeded flowers while in better shape, but I am sure seeds made quickly do not keep as long. To me the flowers are not as important as the seeds in a seed crop, my goal is/was quality seed.
-SamS

Those withered brown plants probably have healthy viable seed!

you can cross two female or cross two males by transforming one to the opposite sex, a transformed female clone to male will express pollen but it is still genetically a female, the same with males they can be transformed to female to make seeds.

Transforming males to a female will also allowing smoking of the male transformed to female expression or lab testing of the cannabinoids and terpenes they can contribute to progeny.

Regardless if the female is Haze or Skunk the f1 hybrids express the same general terpene and Cannabinoids, I have made hundreds and tested them.

There may be sex linked traits but this has not been proven in Cannabis.

Intersexed plants can be male or female. Males that are intersex can make seeds on themselves or on nearby plants.

One last point is plants do not just turn intersex because they have not been pollinated, they are born with the intersex traits, be they XY intersex or intersex traits that require stress of some sort to express the intersex. Both are inherited from intersex parents.

People confuse dominate and recessive genes with what a plant recieves from the parents, but do a prunett square with two palnts that have dominate and recessive genes for the same gene and you will see progeny have a crap shoot on what they receive. Depending on what the parents have Ww X Rr for example in the case of White and Red.

Plant genetics like Cannabis can be confusing as Cannabis is a dioecious obligate outcrosser and is a bit special. (90% of all flowering plants on earth have both sex, the remaining 10 percent have unisexual male and female flowers on the same plant (monoecious species) or male and female flowers on separate plants (dioecious species) they are the minority. Cannabis is one of the minority it is dioecious.
-SamS

Last edited:

icon

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is all so cool & would love to grow some landrace from Bhutan....Happy Trails

romanoweed

I see a plant,withered and brown,but it's cannabis,tiny thing no bigger than a couple of feet tall,I get a couple of small heads and start dropping down to the valley floor,look at the seeds I got from it,tiny in comparison to standard sized seeds.

I Keep Hearing about very Special Traits in some of the wilder Plants, like autoflowering equatorial sativas, or perpetual Plants flowering for years; cloning themselve trough Rootsystems or Branches producing roots.... Such traits are completly gone today. It sounds like new species, but actually this is Cannabis, what we are talking about.. A completly transformative plant, if this Stories are true.