What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High-ppm vs continuous low-ppm feeding

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
How would a plant respond to high feed every N waterin vs feeding a lower concentration every watering. Example:

DAY 1 feed 1200 ppm
DAY 2 water
DAY 3 water
DAY 4 water
DAY 5 feed 1200 ppm

vs

DAY 1 feed 500ppm
DAY 2 feed 500ppm
DAY 3 feed 500ppm
DAY 4 feed 500ppm
DAY 5 feed 500ppm

I haven't noticed any significant difference in practice but I was thinking recently, that since roots take nutes in via osmosis, older plants that have a lot of nutes may not absorb much from 500ppm (the plant would actually release nutes into the medium, as salts go from high to low concentration.) I noticed slight deficiencies in older mature plants, re-vegged, vegging for 6-7 months etc.. not sure if it's because I was feeding too low.

gus738

and also factor in the method of growing, on this aeroponic aerojet by botanicare sprays micro bursts of water and fert liquid in the reservoir or continuous misting

if the plant has no growing medium should be easier for intake as air flows easier and gets oxygenated