What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1st Grow - Question about plastic

Ranstedt

Hi.

From what I understand, UV plastic is recommended due to the plastic lasting longer. But what about the cheaper clear 6 mil plastic at Home Depot? What if this green house / hoop tunnel is only a temporary solution? Would the home depot plastic be okay? It's okay with me that the plastic might only last a season or two. I might not be living at my current location after that. If I don't care about durability, would this home depot plastic work okay?

Thanks.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Non treated plastic will tear within a season when exposed to full sun. Better get the cheapest greenhouse (uv treated) plastic you can find if you are not looking for it to last long. It will last 1-2 seasons, but not more.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I used 6 mil visqueen, the cloudy translucent rolls. A 20' X 100' roll was only a hundred bucks and the tunnel was only 30', enough for three years. No attempt is made to save it overwinter, it is pulled down after harvest.

Using the light meter showed it blocked over 20% of the light, more at the blue end than the red. Most all the UVB was blocked completely.
This did not seem to affect growth, the extra 5 degrees and lack of daily rain kept the growth going. Plus I do not put ends on the tunnel so UVB leaks in the ends. UVB is scattered more than the blue in the sky and the meter has it coming in sideways as well as from above.

I will be putting it up again this summer, it only takes most of a day, the plastic is zip tied to the hoops. Last year's survived gusts up to 40 mph during a storm. More than tough enough for one season.

Latest posts

Latest posts