What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds vs Clones

Riviera123

I read the following statement online >
Marijuana Seeds vs Clones. ... The original plant from seed is capable of yielding more than a cloned offspring- the difference in yield only increases with time. Cannabis plants grown from seed produce a Tap Root, cloned plants simply cannot-they produce a fibrous root system only.Mar 27, 2013

Truth or fiction ?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
There are 20-year clone only strains which have not decreased in yield over time. I believe any yield differences from clones are easily compensated for, due to the flexibility of clones themselves. ;)

IMO, you'll never match the quality or yield of the flowers produced by a clone in it's optimal conditions. Because, the only way to find these conditions is to run a clone repeatedly. This is not something you can do with seed plants.
:D
Save

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
:D reveg a clone from flowering it is called monstercropping, it will yield more than her seedmother

Kaskadian

Veteran
Fiction

You're not going to have any issues running clones. I've got cuts that have been in my rotation for 10+ years and I'm sure they weren't young when I received them. Never seen a decrease in yield, potency, vigor, etc. The only variations you're going to see will be based on growing conditions (lights, medium, temps, humidity, nutrients, etc).

mrlucky

With all due respect to shared opinions, the original question was which will yield more, seed or clone. Theoretically, based on the tap root vs. fibrous root scenario, yield will be greater from seed. HOWEVER, IMO, most breeders don't spend enough time stabilizing their genetics and the difference in phenos from seed can vary widely. In the same grow, I've gotten several ounces from some plants and barely an ounce from others, all of the same strain and seed pack. If you pick a high yielding mother, it's very possible for the clones of that mom to overall out yield the same number grown from seed.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Back in 2004 I found a wonderful plant, fast growing, potent, and easy to clone.
That plant was the exclusive producer from 2004 through 2008 in a commercial garden.
As the room got more and more dialed in on that specific plant the yields kept getting larger.
All the characteristics of the original seed plant were present after four years of cloning, better due to being more familiar with the plant's needs.

Genetics are genetics and DNA is stable over time periods of centuries.
Root growth is identical, the fibrous parts as well as the resins and sap and leaves and well, just everything. The DNA is identical and the plant has no choice but to be identical as well if the growing conditions are similar.