What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help and tips making shatter and honeycomb

Yay! Got a crumble cookie I was happy with today. I made it out of Goo bho.
Was initially doing 115 f high vac, in super thin films going for shatter, but I noticed, parts waxing up after 1st flip

I made the patty thicker and put the waxier parts on top of the more shattery parts, and turned up to 140 f. I then used a heat gun and dab tool to lightly whip (30 seconds or so).

I pulled about a -29 vac and let sit at about 125 for a few hours.

Hooray! Got some vanilla wafer looking cookies here. Best part, only a small amount (maybe .5 out of 7grams) didn't peel off the mat easily. Np though I scraped it up for a test dab and YUMMM! Way better then my other attempts!

Attachments

• IMG_0933.jpg
    IMG_0933.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0934.jpg
    IMG_0934.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0935.jpg
    IMG_0935.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 11

furrywall11

way to go, DP. you're well on your way to becoming a level four Hashlord. The only thing nearly equal to the boundless respect of your peers and the knowledge that you're helping your fellow man is the money and women.

Couple new things coming out of the oven..

Don't know the strain...104-106 for 36 hours @ 24.5HG
IMG_0648.JPG

Chemdawg...104 for 24 hours @ 24.5HG
IMG_0652.JPG

This is actually a girl scout cookies %100 nug run. Not the best lighting in this pic..but, this stuff has these crazy looking sparkles that I call "sugar wax" and the terp profile is nuts. It's kind of frustrating that most people would say that this wax isn't as good as the two above but, nah, the GSC nug run is second only to the SD nug run. 109 for 24 hours @25HG
IMG_0649.JPG

way to go, DP. you're well on your way to becoming a level four Hashlord. The only thing nearly equal to the boundless respect of your peers and the knowledge that you're helping your fellow man is the money and women.

Couple new things coming out of the oven..

Don't know the strain...104-106 for 36 hours @ 24.5HG
View attachment 331603

Chemdawg...104 for 24 hours @ 24.5HG
View attachment 331604

This is actually a girl scout cookies %100 nug run. Not the best lighting in this pic..but, this stuff has these crazy looking sparkles that I call "sugar wax" and the terp profile is nuts. It's kind of frustrating that most people would say that this wax isn't as good as the two above but, nah, the GSC nug run is second only to the SD nug run. 109 for 24 hours @25HG
View attachment 331605

Yum Bro! Do you just vac and forget?
Whats your purging style?

Dab Strudel

Try whipping at around 120-140 for about an hour.View Image
No

for a whole hour?? maybe just use a power drill/dab tool for 5-10 minutes?
No

You guys have to get out of the cookie cutter mind set. Weve all been their, but really when you pay attention, your either over doing a lot of things or you don't run quality material to see there are differences or you always use the same material... I deleted everything else I wrote because I gave started giving you my tek and what I look for but to give you my observations (Atleast I feel) would be like being Sheldon Cooper walking into Howard Wolowitz office and telling him how to perfect the project he has spent months working on... You may feel like you want me to give you the answer, but you've spent all this time to be able to get where you are at right now. At this point you need a hint in the right direction, not for someone to give you the map now that your already at the treasure. There is nowhere to go from there so keep it an adventure as long as you can.. plus its more helpful to you and more gratifying to come to your own conclusions. like for instance a couple of strains (or bag of trim thats JUUUUST a little too old) may take about an hour to set up (even tho that same strain I would 'work' for a lot less time but youve gotta change your tek a little) Whereas a different 5 or 10 or 30 strains may only take 30 seconds to a minute to set up. Others may take 15 mins... Heres my biggest hint for you without giving it all away- Id never spend more than 15 mins whipping my patty. I also care about how little damage I do when preforming this stupid ritual but I would never again whip for an hour whether the material is super fresh or if its color turned to be a darkish amber, no matter the strain or the stipulation. If I cant get it to set after whipping it a second time, it wont set up... I cant always figure out why because sometimes I will pack another tube of the same shit, run it the same way, and tweak one step how I treat the tane laden oil juuuust a little bit and *BAM* Ive got a dry crumble.

But thats where I leave you... You figure out what you should do in that situation. If your doing small personal runs Ill help you out if you PM me, but I really would hate to ruin the rabbit hole for all those guys and gals that do this as a full time...eh.. hobby. If your mad at my lack of info and 'beating around the bush' to push you to think, ive been their too. I still am in other aspects, but once I gained my confidence of knowing what I am doing and spent so many hours writing long ass emails to GW for no good reason other than my lack of attention payed (and him very nicely letting me know), I knew I didnt want the help any more. I just needed the confidence to pay attention so I could grasp where to look. Appreciation is key to understanding. If your just pulling valves and whipping the dick off your oil without watching what it does and SEEING whats going on as you do it, trying out different things like speed, temp, duration, strains, and other variables like what to do before and after you whip. Do you just take it out of the machine and whip it and that's it or do you try something before hand? Do you whip it til it is hard as a rock or do you stop at a point before hand? At what point? What do you do next? is there a next? is it done or NO?! Should you vac it on heat? No vac? No heat? or do you not take ANY OF THESE INTO CONSIDERATION?! EXPLORE YOUR OPTIONS FOLKS! :huggg: All love guys and gals ---END RANT---

No

No

You guys have to get out of the cookie cutter mind set. Weve all been their, but really when you pay attention, your either over doing a lot of things or you don't run quality material to see there are differences or you always use the same material... I deleted everything else I wrote because I gave started giving you my tek and what I look for but to give you my observations (Atleast I feel) would be like being Sheldon Cooper walking into Howard Wolowitz office and telling him how to perfect the project he has spent months working on... You may feel like you want me to give you the answer, but you've spent all this time to be able to get where you are at right now. At this point you need a hint in the right direction, not for someone to give you the map now that your already at the treasure. There is nowhere to go from there so keep it an adventure as long as you can.. plus its more helpful to you and more gratifying to come to your own conclusions. like for instance a couple of strains (or bag of trim thats JUUUUST a little too old) may take about an hour to set up (even tho that same strain I would 'work' for a lot less time but youve gotta change your tek a little) Whereas a different 5 or 10 or 30 strains may only take 30 seconds to a minute to set up. Others may take 15 mins... Heres my biggest hint for you without giving it all away- Id never spend more than 15 mins whipping my patty. I also care about how little damage I do when preforming this stupid ritual but I would never again whip for an hour whether the material is super fresh or if its color turned to be a darkish amber, no matter the strain or the stipulation. If I cant get it to set after whipping it a second time, it wont set up... I cant always figure out why because sometimes I will pack another tube of the same shit, run it the same way, and tweak one step how I treat the tane laden oil juuuust a little bit and *BAM* Ive got a dry crumble.

But thats where I leave you... You figure out what you should do in that situation. If your doing small personal runs Ill help you out if you PM me, but I really would hate to ruin the rabbit hole for all those guys and gals that do this as a full time...eh.. hobby. If your mad at my lack of info and 'beating around the bush' to push you to think, ive been their too. I still am in other aspects, but once I gained my confidence of knowing what I am doing and spent so many hours writing long ass emails to GW for no good reason other than my lack of attention payed (and him very nicely letting me know), I knew I didnt want the help any more. I just needed the confidence to pay attention so I could grasp where to look. Appreciation is key to understanding. If your just pulling valves and whipping the dick off your oil without watching what it does and SEEING whats going on as you do it, trying out different things like speed, temp, duration, strains, and other variables like what to do before and after you whip. Do you just take it out of the machine and whip it and that's it or do you try something before hand? Do you whip it til it is hard as a rock or do you stop at a point before hand? At what point? What do you do next? is there a next? is it done or NO?! Should you vac it on heat? No vac? No heat? or do you not take ANY OF THESE INTO CONSIDERATION?! EXPLORE YOUR OPTIONS FOLKS! :huggg: All love guys and gals ---END RANT---

Appreciate the "rant" as you call it.

My opinion is to share the knowledge brotha. I am going to keep experimenting, and probably keep ruining a bunch of otherwise good material (Like I did earlier in this thread).
I would love to PM you for the secrets, but to be honest if you gave them to me, I would probably share them.

In my area every bit of concentrate I have purchased, is either unpurged, or poorly purged. The equipment isn't hard to obtain, but the knowledge is. I do only personal runs, but like I said I got a big mouth, lol.

Here is a pic of my latest and greatest piece of gear, and a pic of some MOB shatter.

Looked like opaque goopy crap when I got the oil, but it came out pretty nice.

I whipped it but it didn't want to wax or harden up under vac, so I lowered the temp from 130 to 115 and purged it until no reaction at -29.8, flipped and repeated. Very hard stuff. It has a little malleability if it warms up, otherwise it's rock candy!

Attachments

• IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 17
It clumps up on the whipping tool and scraping depends on how dry and crumbly it is.
It will gather up onto the whipping tool as it crystallizes.

Dab Strudel

I get that 'I wanna share the knowledge' mentality. If you go back to all my posts and read them ive given knowledge and have been a part of 90% of the conversations that have to do with R&D of the new wave of extracts on ICMag. I would share anything I know with anyone who asked me. My issue is- When you do this full time and take pride in what you do, you kinda rather figure it out your self. Help is one thing but to map it out for the world is bunk. Why would you go meddling in others ventures because you want to be 'that guy'? If you want to make a contribution why dont you help on something in the R&D department? How about tying to get a molecular sieves to work? Help figure out how to filter fine particles from getting into the oil while not backing up to cause pressure build ups. I will go back to all your posts and read what your specific problems are and help you out. Ill give you advice on shatter all day, that will be a fun trick to pull off, even when you have all the 'tools' its not easy to maintain. Wax on the other hand is super easy and its a fun SHORT side venture in your big adventure of being an extract artist. Dudes like intoxicus5 told you already how to do it generically.. he isnt wrong, he showed you proof as to how to get dry crumble that defiantly doesnt have any tane in it. whip it til its a dry ball of wax on your pyrex. Keep your temps at 140 IMO. One day you will think about how you are killing a lot of properties in the whipping process and you will try to minimize the destruction. Then you may try some other things and move on to a better tek :)

I get that 'I wanna share the knowledge' mentality. If you go back to all my posts and read them ive given knowledge and have been a part of 90% of the conversations that have to do with R&D of the new wave of extracts on ICMag. I would share anything I know with anyone who asked me. My issue is- When you do this full time and take pride in what you do, you kinda rather figure it out your self. Help is one thing but to map it out for the world is bunk. Why would you go meddling in others ventures because you want to be 'that guy'? If you want to make a contribution why dont you help on something in the R&D department? How about tying to get a molecular sieves to work? Help figure out how to filter fine particles from getting into the oil while not backing up to cause pressure build ups. I will go back to all your posts and read what your specific problems are and help you out. Ill give you advice on shatter all day, that will be a fun trick to pull off, even when you have all the 'tools' its not easy to maintain. Wax on the other hand is super easy and its a fun SHORT side venture in your big adventure of being an extract artist. Dudes like intoxicus5 told you already how to do it generically.. he isnt wrong, he showed you proof as to how to get dry crumble that defiantly doesnt have any tane in it. whip it til its a dry ball of wax on your pyrex. Keep your temps at 140 IMO. One day you will think about how you are killing a lot of properties in the whipping process and you will try to minimize the destruction. Then you may try some other things and move on to a better tek :)

Appreciate it man! If you read the earlier posts I do have some success with making vanilla wafer crumble, and pretty good shatter.
ill put some pics

My Tek is ok. I would feel the only piece I am lacking Is a vacuum oven. I have a good vacuum chamber and digital heat pad, but I would buy the oven if I could go back in time. In the future I may invest.

Regarding sharing the knowledge, unpurged oil is ubiquitous in my area, and until the opposite is true, I want people who wish to attempt to clean their oil to have easy access to instructions.

When I was first attempting, I found the knowledge to be a guarded secret on these forums for all but a few. As a result, I fucked up a lot of good oil learning myself. I believe this is a leading factor why people don't bother purging, and I would like this to change.
Also I don't have enough knowledge myself yet, to try things you mentioned.

I greatly appreciate any help posted here.

Attachments

• IMG_0794.jpg
    IMG_0794.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0877.jpg
    IMG_0877.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0935.jpg
    IMG_0935.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0932.jpg
    IMG_0932.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 15
Thx for the input!

I spent the past week researching dewaxing/winterization. Its actually quite simple in theory, (Yet I have yet to do it in practice)

Step 1: take bho and dissolve in everclear (check online for ratio)

step2:freeze solution overnight

step 3: While still frozen run, solution through coffee filter
(Plant waxes will solidify under freezing conditions, so thus will get trapped in the coffee filter)

Step 4: leave filtered solution out to evaporate (everclear evaporates leaving waxless bho)

Step 5: Vaccum purge out any remaining butane or alcohol.

result dewaxed shatter!

DP, I have been doing the winterizing for some time now and you are right on. When open blasting I would mix 1 part alcohol to 2 parts butane mix. Do this every slowly due to the violent reaction when combined. Then from there id put the mix into a mason jar and wait for the butane to fully evaporate before sealing and freezing at -10F or so for 48 hrs a least, and most of the un-wanteds bind and sink to the bottom. Also when running through coffee filters, I would not go over the half way point on filter because the wieght of the solution will push unwanted marterial through filter. And be careful with some wax papers because i have had a couple that eroded the paper, not a fun time. I also put a cheese clothe over the sheets while thin layer evaporating to prevent excess contamination. then to the oven, and with a flip or two youre ready to taste whatcha brewed! -cheers

also, big thanks to Dab Strudel! Needed to read that, headed back to the lab for some good ol R&D. My personal issues deal with the Chem line and getting them to do want i want

furrywall11

I don't really whip anything...maybe ten seconds or so. There's a generally a few "sweet spots" temp wise for getting different consistencies...shatter...cotton candy...wafers...honeycomb.. From low to high temps. I would tell you exactly what those are but it's a piece of cake to figure it out yourself and I wouldn't necessarily want to rob you of the satisfaction...and besides it could be that you have a different experience with your strains, lol. AND lets face it..I don't like the idea of some douche bag funded by corporate scum using my hard learned techniques to turn out tons of wax and put me out of business. I don't mind competition and I prefer it if someone who is going to be competition loves what they do and puts the time in.

I've never had any luck getting material to turn into honeycomb at those extremely high temps of 140. For me, at those temps it just turns into GOO! Its like something breaks in the oil and it won't turn into anything useful after being exposed to temps that high.

It turns out I have a decent amount of oil made from older material that's bound to be dark so I'm going to try this technique of whipping the crap out of it and then baking at 140. I'll share my results here

Last edited:
I don't really whip anything...maybe ten seconds or so. There's a generally a few "sweet spots" temp wise for getting different consistencies...shatter...cotton candy...wafers...honeycomb.. From low to high temps. I would tell you exactly what those are but it's a piece of cake to figure it out yourself and I wouldn't necessarily want to rob of you of the satisfaction...and besides it could be that you have a different experience with your strains, lol. AND lets face it..I don't like the idea of some douche bag funded by corporate scum using my hard learned techniques to turn out tons of wax and put me out of business. I don't mind competition and I prefer it if someone who is going to be competition loves what they do and puts the time in.

I've never had any luck getting material to turn into honeycomb at those extremely high temps of 140. For me, at those temps it just turns into GOO! Its like something breaks in the oil and it won't turn into anything useful after being exposed to temps that high.

It turns out I have a decent amount of oil made from older material that's bound to be dark so I'm going to try this technique of whipping the crap out of it and then baking at 140. I'll share my results here

Much appreciated furry!
I was thinking the exact same thing. GOO. I am too afraid to turn it up that high, because in my experience even left at 135 for too long, it can "goo" up.

However if the experts such as graywolf and and dabo recommend 140 + there must be something to it.

I am thinking in my case it's because I use a digital heatpad/ vac chamber instead of an oven, so I overcook the bottom.

My best results like you say have been at lower temps. I only really heat it up to whip.

We anxiously await your results Bro!!

Latest posts

Latest posts