What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I no longer believe Broad Mites cause DUDDING

oceangrownkush

Veteran
So in late 2014 and early 2015 I had experiences with Broad Mites again. I got passed a whitefireOG that was infested as they come. I sprayed and root drenched with Kontos, sprayed Avid 3x and followed with Neem/Silica and Ic3 Essentria/Silica sprays twice a week.

This left my individual with no broad mites and much to my surprise the flowers are coming out unaffected by the Dud syndrome. No symptoms, just healthy, vigorous growth and stinky, greasy, potent flowers.

I also had the pleasure of eradicating broads in a local collectives garden. This garden was 30 days into flower, one treatment of Kontos and a few Salycylic Acid waterings and the girth, nose and frost returned to the previously stunted and mutated plants.

So what gives? Is it possible the broads didn't linger long enough to leave lasting damage? The collectives garden had broads for at least a year before I got there from the descriptions, from what I could tell as soon as I started treating the plants got right back on track.

I know none of what I experienced is conclusive, I'm almost interested to attempt having a broad mite infested garden to observe the plants reactions to them over time.. Say start out with 12 plants and let them be infested from 1 month to 12 and observe how they do once clean... I have heard from a few that abuse of Avid can cause dud like symptoms and my one and only true blue DUD batch of clones came from a clone vendor who sprayed Avid to relieve his stock of Broads...

Any and all theorizing and banter related to broads and their toxins welcome here.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Get Chitosan...enjoy the garden again....

I haven't had a DUD since...

If your over the Chitosan... get some Pylon for the Nematodes

Limeygreen

Veteran
Avid can cause plant issues, especially if used while lights on or in bright sunlight, I haven't seen it, but been told to be weary of it, this was on commercial vegetables not flowers so take it for what it's worth. Killed the broad mites on the peppers which were reaking havoc on them.

I must be a little too high to follow the logic but they were duds b4, n once you got rid of the mites they weren't?
Doesn't that kinda prove that is a result of the mites more than that it's not?
Like I said I might just be high or missing something from the story.

cheers,................................................gps

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
I don't know how some one could successfully have broads for a year without having to throw away the plants.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
its not the broads which cause the duds, its probably what they carry or at least leave the plant susceptible to. you couldn't even veg plants with broads let alone flower them out.

oceangrownkush

Veteran
its not the broads which cause the duds, its probably what they carry or at least leave the plant susceptible to. you couldn't even veg plants with broads let alone flower them out.

Not in my experience. You can grow crippled ass bunk ass no smellin ass herbs with ease with broad mites, a lb per light even!

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
Not in my experience. You can grow crippled ass bunk ass no smellin ass herbs with ease with broad mites, a lb per light even!
I think everybody that got broads from P.o. at some point can vouch for this :comfort: I've seen it as well and my infection was pretty bad I didn't know what broads was at the time 07 ish? around the time they we're passing out the fake chem-d and swerve,ape, and onlyorganic we're vending.

Mikenite69

Veteran
Hey oceangrownkush I had this experience a few months back my buddy had some cuts that were dudding from cyclamen it was the ghost cut that I ran. I made a post about it somewhere here on the forums that I used forbid and avid on it with barely any positive affects. The plant was vegging slow and just didn't want to grow so I bought some kontos and after doing two treatments with foliar and root drench the plant was like a totally different plant.

I think the problem is either kontos fixes something inside the plant because of how it's xylem and phloem active or it's because as soon as people have these bugs the known protocol is to use avid/forbid and pylon which I think avid and forbid are the most commonly used that kontos being a mode of action that isn't used much it has way more of a affect on the bugs. Just my thoughts and observations on the matter

When I had broad mites, once I rid the plants of them you would have never known they had broads. I don't believe in the dud syndrome either. I haven't herd of a farmer speak of dud syndrome.

Obviously none of what I said sites any scientific information. Grain of salt people. :)

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
GG4
Triple Diesel

Broad mites are the #1 cause of dudding. Getting rid of them entirely is a dream. It becomes a preventative situation every run. And I am very careful. Once they are in. ya better control them. But complete eradication ain't gonna happen.

Sooooo many peoples' gardens are suffering around here, and people blame it on the genetics (in the case of the gorilla glue clone, i.e - tossing a certain percentage of flowering plants every run) or specific nutrients such as Gravity.

Ignore BM/Cyclamen/Russet Mites at your peril. After 70 indoor runs, and 8 years of greenies in Nor Cal, they wiped me out. And they are here in the Midwest MMJ state I reside in now, as well. Big Time.

The recovery from the BM's was difficult, expensive, and infuriating.

RetroGrow

Veteran
It's the toxins they inject that cause the dudding. This is a known fact and not even open to debate. They can, however be beaten. The notion that once you have them, they are there forever is false. This does not only occur in Cannabis. Many plants, especially fruiting plants, are susceptible to broad and cyclamen mite "dudding". It's not a new problem. They have been a known pest for a long, long time, way before the Cannabis scene. Boosting the plant's immune system by several methods, including aspirin, chitosan, aloe, humics & fulvics will mitigate the damage caused by the toxins. There are resistant strains of mites that don't respond to forbid/avid. P.O. was spreading resistant strains. Heat will kill broad mites deader than a door nail. Fusarium will also cause "dudding", and it's possible to have both. This is all pretty old news, so no need to stress about it. They can't be identified by description, only by scoping. As far as "stem nematodes"? Not a single lab test has ever confirmed their existence in Cannabis. Not one.

panick503

Hey retro grow, have u quit heat treating for broads? If so how long ago?

I've been dealing with broad mites for about 4 months now. All the plants I am about to harvest showed symptoms a little over a month before I flipped them, but after a month of treating u couldn't tell they ever had them. 50 days later, everything is looking amazing, including a cut of og kush I was particularly worried about. But, these plants were never severely infested...

Last edited:

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Stem Nematodes

I haven't had a DUD since using Chitosan....

Broad Mites can be killed with ease... They are a Joke at this point

Latest posts

Latest posts