What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shame on you TH seeds, incest seed lovers

Oregonism

How can you have "hermies" with monoecious morphology tendencies?....maybe you have a gynoecious type.

All these threads bashing existing seed companys biology.....

Maybe read up on types of populations and how pistillate and staminate flowers are bore and in what combinations.
For example how do you not know it was either a gynomonoecious or andromonoecious plant? Both types can produce pistilate /staminate flowers and hermaphroditic flowers.
Maybe the fems are monecious as has been suggested by looking for male markers in hemp and they cant seem to find any.....like MAD32 and SCAR. Monoecious plants bear pistillate and staminate flowers on seperate nodes, this is the classical definition of pot "hermies" and is not the same as gynoecious or androecious plant bearing staminate and pistilate flowers at the same node.

We cant even describe plant morphology correctly at the moment, dont jump ahead yet....geez.

little-soldier

Im just going with the terms I/everybody hears all the time. I see nanners, I say hermie. You see nanners you say all kind of terms used by so called smart people. Fancy words don't make people smart. Call it whatever you wanna call it, I want stable genetics. I get that with regulars, and never did with feminised. Sure maybe I could achieve this if i had everything on point/dialed in the fact is, most people don't have everything dialed in. According to Douglas, even the ph can cause hermies. These feminised seeds are way too picky for my likes. Who wants to grow something for minimum 2 months and end up dissapointed because one day out of those 60 days you screwed up. Too many variables can go wrong.

JockBudman

Sure maybe I could achieve this if i had everything on point/dialed in the fact is, most people don't have everything dialed in. According to Douglas, even the ph can cause hermies. These feminised seeds are way too picky for my likes. Who wants to grow something for minimum 2 months and end up dissapointed because one day out of those 60 days you screwed up. Too many variables can go wrong.

I think this is the key issue in the neverending hermie debate.

Most seeds now are from strains that have been bred indoors under not only artificial lights, but increasingly better environments, for decades.
People say there were less herms in the past. There's also the fact that those strains were bred from landrace or worked heirloom lines that had been grown outdoors for generations - in an imperfect environment. Nowhere on earth is there a constant night temp of around 18c with days of 26c plus exactly 12 hours of darkness plus perfect stable rh and constant co2 flow. Maybe a few places have one or two of those elements (equator for light for example) but not really constantly and reliably and as such landrace stuff is remarkably hardy if not at all commercially viable.

Then it all went indoors, under lights and the big seedbanks learned to build perfection.

So what we have now are plants that have known nothing but lab perfect conditions for generations, being grown by randos all over the world, in closets and attics under CFLs, hps, LEDs or a combo of those, with varying temps, rh, lightproofing etc based on circumstances - why are we surprised they herm?

The most stable stuff I've grown hasn't really been regs, but more regs from lines bred from landrace or close to landrace stuff. Ace and mandala have worked well for me and trust me when I say I've given their genetics a beating.
It reminds me of the flaws in commercial agriculture where farmers are having to poison their own soil with mineral nutes, herbacides, fungicides, pesticides etc, just to grow crops that have lost all resistance through years of being grown in such an environment. Whereas the heirloom stuff that has less bag appeal as it were, is often far hardier through being grown with minimal intervention and usually by organic growers.

I don't think it's helpful to tell people just to dial in their environment because it's dependent on circumstance. Like the only way I could do it is to totally remodel my loft at the cost of thousands which I can't afford. I also live in a small house with less opportunities to make that happen even if I could afford it (I've noticed a lot of dialed in American growers have waaaaayyyy bigger houses than we do in Europe.) If I could I would - but I can't so I won't. And there are many more in my position than have the ability to really create a perfect environment, especially at the noob end of the scale where people are wanting their herb to cost less than just buying it in.

So my advice is to look for landrace or close to it plants. Maybe even older lines from Dutch banks that have kept them pure (a minefield I won't go into) but certainly I'd say to avoid new femmed work unless you have a totally dialed setup or don't mind the odd seed.

Ganja gu brah :tiphat:

THC123

Veteran
I used to be against fem seeds, but now I don't mind. It's all about how tabel the parents are and if they are true females.

Femenized breeding is actually one of the fastest ways to fix traits and get stable seeds(cannabis botany by Clarke). I think that is why many only do fem. It is a lot quicker and less guesswork involved.

But I still prefer regulars

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
So my advice is to look for landrace or close to it plants.
The first step in working with landrace strains is to remove the hermie traits. I'd be interested in reports of a landrace with zero hermie traits, it'd be unique as far as I'm aware. If you're looking for 'stable' genetics your best bet may be the older Dutch strains you mentioned, or something similar. Strains which have been heavily worked to remove hermie tendencies.

Make sure you get real 'old' genetics, and not some F40's of old genetics. The more generations of non-intensive selection, the greater your chances of hermies creeping back in.