What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Katsu's MASSIVE P98 Bubba Kush Reversal Bean Run

Katsu

Veteran
Every thing looks stellar.I really like the sound of your sour bubba.

The Sour Bubba is ridiculously strong. One dab is debilitating, two is drooling idiot. I have a REALLY high tolerance and I couldn't believe how strong it was. The one I dabbed didn't have as much gas as I want in my keeper, but if it's all I had I definitely wouldn't be complaining. Running a pheno hunt of 200 this winter to find some kiler moms...

Katsu

Veteran
Bubba's Sis at 10 weeks
picture.php

TheBlaze

Just started harvesting some seeds. Testers will be ready to send in about a week to those of you that PM'd me. I'm going to do one more round of pics of the seeded plants and then we're off to the races pheno hunting. I've already sprouted a couple of the Kaffir Kush (Key Lime Pie x Bubba Kush) and one of the Dracarys (GG4 x Bubba Kush) - the beans were poking out of the buds and I couldn't resist :)

The Blackberry Kush and 91 Dragons crosses will be the last to come down (they were late to the party). I could still use a couple more testers for the Schrom x Bubba Kush as well as the ChemSis x Bubba Kush. Please PM me if you're interested and can grow them out fairly quickly (and are willing to do a grow and show).

Howzit bud

I know this is a bit late, but Kaffir is an extremely derogatory word here in South Africa. Akin to nigger. Just something to think about. :tiphat:

Zapadra

Howzit bud

I know this is a bit late, but Kaffir is an extremely derogatory word here in South Africa. Akin to nigger. Just something to think about. :tiphat:

Have to agree here. I see it's not on purpose though. All over the world there are plenty of unknowingly offensive words.

Happy Times

Hi Katsu

Any favorites at this point? Seems like you might have had some time for sampling! I’d guess even that Xanadu should be done at this point?

Katsu

Veteran
Hi Katsu

Any favorites at this point? Seems like you might have had some time for sampling! I’d guess even that Xanadu should be done at this point?

Personal favorite is probably the Sour Bubba or the Bubba's Breath, but they were all super strong and had very different effects. The Schromba is awesome functional weed and the Xanadu is really good daytime, but less functional because it's kind of trippy/spacey.

H.Stoner

Hey KATSU,
semi quick question. i been doing some history research on Bubba K AND PRE 98 BUBBA K. So, in your words what's the difference between the two. i just got confused as hell when i saw in a thread they were saying your katsu cut of BK did stretch and the pre 98 didn't. and from what i recall it was the exact opposite.

my katsu cuts died soon after arrival. sender explained why because of something he did but i can't recall. i did run the pre 98 once and had issues with mites and pm at the same time but was able to harvest. good enough for me to puff what i had but not good enough i would accept donations.

the PRE 98 was a beautiful plant in veg and had zero issues with good vigor as well.
I HIT THE PRE 98 AS WELL AS ALL OF THE MOMS with moles Uranium Cranium male/s. i had to preserve the genetics somehow so ...

how would u definitely describe the pre 98 in veg and flower ?
last question is why are you not also using your famous katsu cut to work with ?

yes, damn right i will be getting some of your beans mos def. btw very glad to see you around and doing well. the good guys rarely come back to the game so elated you have done so. peace and namaste

mtntrogger

Veteran
To further elaborate on this....

Mid 2000s there was no such thing as pre98 bubba. The only packs going around the scene were named bubba kush. S1 had made it out via orgnkid and some were being grown but no one was doing numbers of those s1.

Around 2005 a crew from seal beach, CA starts letting packs go to dispensaries labeled pre98 bubba. I managed one of the dispensaries that got it. I was getting bubba packs from the original crew, and this pre98 from the seal beach guys. The pre98 and bubba were exact copies of each other. Some time after that, a vendor started bringing in Katsu bubba, which we were told was a orgnkid s1 of bubba. By that time in Los Angeles there were a few popular bubba cuts. There was the original bubba kush and the pre98 which I believe are the same. Then there were the orgnkid s1 plants such as the katsu, the purple bubba, and the green bubba. The last two I mentioned quickly fell out of favor and the better cuts survived. The pre98 tag is something I never understood and it causes a lot of confusion.
There are volumes on here about the origins of pre 98 vs Katsu cut. I believe one the most definitive source has been Stash, another member here, and one of the original members of Katsu's circle. Ive spent literally hundreds of hours researching this. I was fully obsessed with these/this strain(s). I even have a few Original 'Katsu Bubba' beans that were passed to me (pretty old by now) by another member here whom received them from said circle. Rare Dankness also has a pretty accurate portion of the Katsu bubba story if you dig. The 'katsu' cut to my knowledge shows slightly more berry flavors than the 'pre98' - which is known for that coffee and kush funk. Pre 98 is also known to be slightly denser in structure also.

mtntrogger

Veteran
Massive thanks to Katsu for coming back to the cannabis community ! We all appreciate your work here sir. Keep it up ! Looking forward to picking up some of your gear soon

Cakeboy

Feeding the Roos
ICMag Donor
Hey katsu

Such an awesome thread, was curious what your thoughts about the smoke of ogkb2 compared to the pre 98 and the cross of the two, do you have a preference at all? Thx

Cannavore

Veteran
There are volumes on here about the origins of pre 98 vs Katsu cut. I believe one the most definitive source has been Stash, another member here, and one of the original members of Katsu's circle. Ive spent literally hundreds of hours researching this. I was fully obsessed with these/this strain(s). I even have a few Original 'Katsu Bubba' beans that were passed to me (pretty old by now) by another member here whom received them from said circle. Rare Dankness also has a pretty accurate portion of the Katsu bubba story if you dig. The 'katsu' cut to my knowledge shows slightly more berry flavors than the 'pre98' - which is known for that coffee and kush funk. Pre 98 is also known to be slightly denser in structure also.

There are 3 Bubba cuts afaik

Katsu Bubba Kush

Original Bubba Kush aka the earliest sourced cut, was known as 93 Bubba for awhile. The real pre98 cut. Sourced by 707 Seedbank, called pre98 by ThaDocta. This is the one Nspecta uses.

Pre98 Bubba Kush aka Swerves cut, the most commonly held pre98 cut, name stolen from the original cut. Which appears to be the one Katsu is making hybrids with.

Bubba is more mocha/coffee/ slight hint of lemon or some kind of berry (?) taste buds may very
OGKB 2.0 is more creamy, if it had a fruit nuance I'd say cherry and has the og kush back ground.
I find both to be quite powerful but would give the 2.0 an edge in flavor town and the aromas it leaves in a room.

I'd be interested in Katsu's comments too. I have been following along in the background

Katsu

Veteran
I have talked to a couple of the original roommates that brought the OG from Florida to California and, to the best of my knowledge, the Pre98 is probably the original Bubba (the mother of this is the original OG) and the Katsu is probably an S1 of the original Bubba. I really don't know much about what Swerve has.

The OGKB2.0 is ChunkyPigs clone - apparently much better in veg than the OGKB. I don't really find it similar to the Bubba at all in terms of smell or flavor, more sweet with less of the dank kushy smell.

I picked up some cuts of the original OG from one of the aforementioned roommates - he's been growing the same plant for 25 years so I am quite confident as to the authenticity. I haven't tried many of the OG's currently floating around, but this is the one that started it all and I plan on making some S1's and crosses.

mtntrogger

Veteran
There are 3 Bubba cuts afaik

Katsu Bubba Kush

Original Bubba Kush aka the earliest sourced cut, was known as 93 Bubba for awhile. The real pre98 cut. Sourced by 707 Seedbank, called pre98 by ThaDocta. This is the one Nspecta uses.

Pre98 Bubba Kush aka Swerves cut, the most commonly held pre98 cut, name stolen from the original cut. Which appears to be the one Katsu is making hybrids with.

^^^^ The fucking man !! Thanks Cannavore.

mtntrogger

Veteran
I have talked to a couple of the original roommates that brought the OG from Florida to California and, to the best of my knowledge, the Pre98 is probably the original Bubba (the mother of this is the original OG) and the Katsu is probably an S1 of the original Bubba. I really don't know much about what Swerve has.

The OGKB2.0 is ChunkyPigs clone - apparently much better in veg than the OGKB. I don't really find it similar to the Bubba at all in terms of smell or flavor, more sweet with less of the dank kushy smell.

I picked up some cuts of the original OG from one of the aforementioned roommates - he's been growing the same plant for 25 years so I am quite confident as to the authenticity. I haven't tried many of the OG's currently floating around, but this is the one that started it all and I plan on making some S1's and crosses.

Florida eh ? So interesting ! I wonder if they were calling it 'Crippy' at some point ? Seemed like everything that came out of FL in the early- mid 90's went by that name. lol