What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing high CBD strains.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Do high CBD strains require as much high intensity light as growing high THC strains? Do the males also have high CBD?

Loc Dog

Veteran
What about smell? Does hemp or other high CBD smell as much as high THC?

armedoldhippy

Veteran

not sure about smell while growing, but a friend that has tried the hemp cigarettes on the market now tells me that the taste & aroma as you smoke them is identical to good weed.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Let's just say folks have been growing high CBD cannabis for decades without knowing it. It grows the same, smells the same and behaves the same as high THC cannabis of the same strain.

Treat it the same and you'll not be disappointed. :D

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Let's just say folks have been growing high CBD cannabis for decades without knowing it. It grows the same, smells the same and behaves the same as high THC cannabis of the same strain.

Treat it the same and you'll not be disappointed. :D

I'm growing some Medicine Cookies and Atonic Net. Ended up with 5 females of the former and 3 of the latter. All are very fragrant and terps are clearly there.

Haven't harvested or tried any yet but will have an idea in about 45 days on both.

CBDman

Do high CBD strains require as much high intensity light as growing high THC strains? Do the males also have high CBD?

i Know only about feminized 12h high CBD strains, not regulars

Female plants i grow only.

I also grow high THC plants.

I grow both.

The high CBD plants are more oily, sticky glue like . They smell alot.
You need have good ventilation system.

The best and most nature thing is grow high cbd strains in organic soil offcourse, with organic nutes.

And you need cure them about 2weeks longer than normal high THC flowers in most cases.
Not all strains, but very many High CBD strains are extra oily/sugary

i also highly recommend organic boosters
like BioBizz Max and also Bio Heaven when you grow high CBD

good luck mister

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Yes, males have high CBD (pollen sacs)
Smell....not nearly like other Skunk, or aromatic strains.

Last edited:

TruffleButler

I bought some cbd buds for my mom from Tweedle farms out of Oregon, that shit was absolutely disgusting. Wouldn't let her vape it. Bought her a omnivong and everything. Cant believe what people are smoking. How do you grow weed that tastes so bad. Tried 5 farms, all tastes like dirty air and stagnant mountain streams full of rotting tree leaves. "Oh just call it earthy".

Not the strains fault, my only experience with cbd has been commercial bullshit. Even though I know better, cbd strains have always left a bad taste in my mouth (literally). See how easy it is? Fucking garbage weed is an epidemic.

Honestly the whole cbd industry seems shady as fuck. 7 phenos in a bag and it's all got the same Cannabinoid profile? Harlequin crossed with Sour Diesel = zero thc in EVERY seed? Terp results dont add up and the date is different from Cannabinoid results?

Where do you get seeds that aren't a fraudulent waste of time? Moms don't do thc.. And i dont do clones.

R

Rab.C

hey Cbdman can you message yet ? jusy asking because i cant i even email the site 2 times
no responce

Loc Dog

Veteran
I bought some cbd buds for my mom from Tweedle farms out of Oregon, that shit was absolutely disgusting. Wouldn't let her vape it. Bought her a omnivong and everything. Cant believe what people are smoking. How do you grow weed that tastes so bad. Tried 5 farms, all tastes like dirty air and stagnant mountain streams full of rotting tree leaves. "Oh just call it earthy".

Not the strains fault, my only experience with cbd has been commercial bullshit. Even though I know better, cbd strains have always left a bad taste in my mouth (literally). See how easy it is? Fucking garbage weed is an epidemic.

Honestly the whole cbd industry seems shady as fuck. 7 phenos in a bag and it's all got the same Cannabinoid profile? Harlequin crossed with Sour Diesel = zero thc in EVERY seed? Terp results dont add up and the date is different from Cannabinoid results?

Where do you get seeds that aren't a fraudulent waste of time? Moms don't do thc.. And i dont do clones.

I plan on making cannabutter with it, then cookies, so taste not an issue.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have several CBD (high/rich) strains...taste AND effect. Mmmmm!

Truffle...make tincture for your mom, or edibles such as Loc Dog's method.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Moms don't do thc..
In my experience, moms who do THC and CBD do much better than with just CBD or nothing. ;)

Sorry your experience was so bad, I hope you come across better grown in the future. You're going to find an amazing variety of flavors and aromas in high CBD strains, especially in the next few years.

Harlequinn reminds me of some of the descriptions mentioned here, but the rest of the cbd strains I've sampled have been decent. I was rather disappointed with harlequinn, the flavor, the taste, the yield, but not the CBD. heh As a first intro to cbd, it was definitely a game changer for me.

Canna-Tsu is good, though the cut I have is so high CBD it's a little low in terps. Nice orange citrus. I recently tested some Chem Kesey plants and they're high in CBD. Decent flavor there as well.

I guess it comes down to the genetics and how well they're grown out.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I guess it comes down to the genetics and how well they're grown out. Yep, you hit the nail on the head!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.marijuanabreak.com/where-exactly-do-cbd-and-thc-come-from-in-the-cannabis-plant
Where CBD Comes From:
CBD can be derived from both the industrial hemp plant (male cannabis crop) and the female marijuana plant. It is present where there are terpenes, which there is a small concentration of amongst other parts of the cannabis plant aside from simply the resin/trichome-rich buds. For this reason, some concentrations of CBD can also be found in the hemp plant. The hemp plant does not have resinous, cannabinoid-packed flowers, but the rest of this crop does contain some cannabidiol amongst the stalk, leaves and more.

Industrial hemp derived CBD products are typically lower in cannabidiol concentration for this reason, while extracts from the marijuana plant can be much more potent and rich, being that they are made from the resinous parts of the buds, which are full of cannabinoids. However, a special extraction process must be utilized in order to separate the CBD from the other cannabinoids present in the marijuana plant. This process is typically quite complicated and requires a wealth of knowledge, experience and the proper equipment to do it well.

For this reason, it is really important to consume a certified non-psychoactive cannabidiol product if you want to ensure you will not also be receiving some of the high effects from THC.

Following along on this discussion. I've had nothing but bad luck trying to source high cbd Industrial hemp (.03% thc or less). Strains I've been trying to track down include baox, trump, the wife, and a few others. The people selling seeds are only interested in selling them in batches of 1,000 seeds or more. Same issue with clones, but additional issues with shipping. Anyone got leads on an honest seed seller that sells them in quantities in less than 100?

GoatCheese

Veteran
The high-cbd strains based around CBD Crew's genetics smell just as much as normal THC-only plants; some more than others. I have experience with three strains so far; CBD Divine, CBD 3D and CBD Critical Cure (Barney's). Many have citrus/tangerine smell from the NYCD-parent which is the source of the high CBD trait in CBD Crew's genetics.
I really like high-cbd weed.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Following along on this discussion. I've had nothing but bad luck trying to source high cbd Industrial hemp (.03% thc or less). Strains I've been trying to track down include baox, trump, the wife, and a few others. The people selling seeds are only interested in selling them in batches of 1,000 seeds or more. Same issue with clones, but additional issues with shipping. Anyone got leads on an honest seed seller that sells them in quantities in less than 100?

USA considers hemp less than .5% THC.

GoatCheese

Veteran
That is what I was afraid of. May have to limit to outdoors due to cost of electric.

If you grow cbd-rich strains for cbd-potency, according to Shantibaba (?) the level of cbd in plants during flowering apparently peaks around a week before "normal" harvest time for similar thc-only plant. So as an example, if you'd harvest a thc-only SSH after 11 weeks, the cbd-version of the SSH you's harvest around week 10 for peak cbd level for the plant. After this the cbd level will start decreasing somewhat, cause some of the cbd starts to convert to cbn ?? or "what ever it was", can't remember.
So basically you do save a bit on your energy bill cause you can harvest high-cbd plants a week earlier.

But yea, the cbd-rich plants i have grown have grown just like their thc-only genetic relatives. can't tell which plant is the cbd-rich version by the looks, my cbd-rich plants have looked just like any indoor weed plant i have grown.

Here's my CBD Critical Cure. Crap photo. Very nice plant. Mandarin/tangerine-fruity kushy and spicey old school "amsterdam stinky skunk" in the direction of UK Cheese, but not as loud. Wonderful stuff. Very strong CBD effect as well.
picture.php

Btw, the CBD Crew's lines i mentioned earlier, aren't very stable and some plants seem to be fairly high with thc. Every nine females i have flowered grew nanners at some point during bloom, while my CBD Critical Cure keeper right next to them didn't; one CBD Divine started growing nanners after 4 weeks of 12/12 while her sisters were all late nanner girls. I'm not too impressed with the cbd levels either, compared to my CBD Cure keeper.
Other's have reported hermie problems with CBD Crew's other lines as well, the Widow being one of them.

Go for some CBD rich lines Loc Dog, i bet you don't regret it unless the genetics are dodgy. I really like the high cbd stuff, it's more like smoking traditional import hash rather than indoor thc-only weed.