What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Zack, you are onto it mate, sounds like the next batch will be even better.
The sweating is the key, how long you sweat the cobs for really effects the end product and varying the sweat will give you different results in the end product.
Next time try the green maize husks in a zip lock bag, store in a warm place for 24hrs.
The bag should have perspiration on the inside and the cob should feel wet.
If after vac sealing and waiting two weeks you open it to a sickly sweet smell you have done it. Then dry slowly and finaly store it in a jar or vac bag for minimum 3 months and when you open it, you will find something so special you will be blown away.
The guys I gave some freshly cured and dried cob to all thought it was a new drug, now they all want more and want to grow their own and make their own cobs.
Where they live is on the edge of a desert and has perfect growing conditions all year round.
I cant wait to get back up there in April, fishing and getting high is my idea of heaven.
I have had some very intense trips on GT cobs and want nothing else.
I agree with you on the sativas, especialy the Gt and Zamaldelica, but I have Panama and Panama x Malawi cobs aging as well so April will be a very special fishing TRIP this time.
Tangwena

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Sforza, sounds like you may have missed the ideal spot for cobbing. I did the same thing the first time I tried it. The second time I tried it, It was an improvement, and the third time I backtracked. Hopefully the 4th time I try it, Ill nail it perfectly. Tang couldn't stress the sweat possibly enough. Thats where the magic begins. If its not sweaty going into the seal, you wont get the best cob possible. Im still trying to get that right myself. It takes practice. I hope you have more bud coming down to try again, but either way it will turn out to be something you really enjoy.

Here are my 2nd and third attempts. Itll give you something to look forward to in 2-3 weeks. This is about a week post breaking the seal for one, and 11 days or so for the other. I let them air dry in the cob, and only now just opened them, except for a couple of tokes off of the smaller one. Im about to dig in right now. I just wanted to make this post before doing so. Im not sure Ill have the ability to after smoking some of these yummy cobs.

View Image

View Image

The bottom cob has GN thai Stick on one side, and Afropips Durban Poison on the other. How cool is it to have a cob with two different halves! Who doesn't want to try this shit yet?

Dave, I didn't think you could make those buds more beautiful, but somehow you did!

Sforza

Veteran
Hi Sforza no problem it will not rot, it seems that getting the cobs to sweat is hard, it must be because its your winter, maybe try taking it out of the vac bag and putting it in a zip lock plastic bag in a warm place for another 24hrs the sweating is critical.
Our summers are hot all the time and a little humid, which makes them sweat fast my last lot only took half a day.
You could leave it as is but it will not be its best.
Just try another day in a sealed zip lock bag, it should sweat quickly.
Tangwena

Well, it might have sweated, but the banana bark is pretty thick. I had to use two pieces tied at the ends to pack all the buds into the envelope created, and then a third piece to cover up the seam before I tied it up with the twine.

The buds were fairly moist and I put the cob in a warm place for 24 hours, so perhaps the cob was sweating underneath the banana bark. When I check it after day 5, if it is wet I will know that it did sweat, just under the bark covering and not enough to soak the bark.

Tangwena

Veteran
resin up close

resin up close

After sweating and 5 day vac bag cure this is a close up of the resin, going in the trichs were mostly cloudy no amber. from left Panama,panama, pxm, GT13,GT13.
Tangwena

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

I love this thread. It has always been my opinion that the cure is very important, and that the bud available today is missing something compared to the imported buds I smoked growing up back in the 1970s. I have not tried cob curing yet, although as previously posted, I have done something similar.

I have recently noticed that my jar curing bud from Thai genetics is starkly different from the bud left in a plastic bag compared to my tightly packed and perfectly sealed glass jar. The aromas are dramatically different, and probably the main difference is the lack of oxygen.

ThaiBliss

Tangwena

Veteran
High TB yes i also find the less oxygen for storage is important, even when jar curing if the jar is stuffed full with little air space the aromas are a lot better. The sweat curing in cobbing turns all the clear and cloudy resin golden like brown sugar and of course effects both the taste and effect of the buds.
I sweat cure the loose buds as well and then jar cure them, at the end of 3 months or more the difference in taste and effect between the cobbed and jar cured meens I have in effect two different types of bud.
One for if taste and mild effect are needed and one to get completly wasted on.
Tangwena

Tangwena

Veteran
Ready for aging

Ready for aging

Here are the cobs after drying ready for aging, first Panama, second GT 2013, lastly Panama x Malawi. Plus close ups of the change to the resin after sweating.
Tangwena

Tangwena

Veteran
sweat cured Panama

sweat cured Panama

Hi guys I thought I would post some sweat cured buds next to the same buds jar cured. They are from the same plant, the sweat cured buds are moist, stringy and smell sweet, so good I had to try them twice!
The second try was with my usual dose a piece the size of you little finger nail. The high was very fast onset, crystal clear, happy and very sharp. I was able to work all day in between moments of fancy.
The taste (chewed) was a little lemon and very sweet, just like the smell. I think this will become a favorite after a 3 month aging.
The sweat cured bud reminds me of a tin of plug cut pipe tobacco nice and stringy and moist, just a different smell.
I am very pleased with how this batch turned out.
The bud may look ugly to some but the effects speak for themselves.
Tangwena

Sforza

Veteran
COBBIE is out of the banana bark and into a cool dark place to dry before being vacuum packed in a baggie for a while.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Hi guys I thought I would post some sweat cured buds next to the same buds jar cured. They are from the same plant, the sweat cured buds are moist, stringy and smell sweet, so good I had to try them twice!
The second try was with my usual dose a piece the size of you little finger nail. The high was very fast onset, crystal clear, happy and very sharp. I was able to work all day in between moments of fancy.
The taste (chewed) was a little lemon and very sweet, just like the smell. I think this will become a favorite after a 3 month aging.
The sweat cured bud reminds me of a tin of plug cut pipe tobacco nice and stringy and moist, just a different smell.
I am very pleased with how this batch turned out.
The bud may look ugly to some but the effects speak for themselves.
Tangwena

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=63275&pictureid=1551812&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]
Hey Tangwena, the cob cured look really nice, I think I can smell them from here! I just went through the whole thread to extract all the info you gave on the process. As this took quite some time I thought it might be a good idea for you to update post #1 with a detailed and up to date HowTo. I don't even know if you can edit that post, but a mod sure could. Just an idea to make it a bit more convenient for others. ZD

Tangwena

Veteran
I couldn't help myself I have been so fucked up in the best possible way, like taking the top off a boiled egg, I am going crazy on this wonderful bud. I have to post a picture or two of this wonderful gear.
Everytime I look at a bud I have to sample it and then I have too well you know go to a quiet place and tie myself to a tree its amazingly powerful it is eclipsing my previous best ever high sooo bloody good to get this high again.

I couldn't help myself I have been so fucked up in the best possible way, like taking the top off a boiled egg, I am going crazy on this wonderful bud. I have to post a picture or two of this wonderful gear.
Everytime I look at a bud I have to sample it and then I have too well you know go to a quiet place and tie myself to a tree its amazingly powerful it is eclipsing my previous best ever high sooo bloody good to get this high again.

What Panama is that? Is it ACE gear?

ZD

Tangwena

Veteran
No this is Golden Tiger my friend dont grow it unless you have big balls ha ha Its so strong i love it. And of course its from Ace.
Tangwena

No this is Golden Tiger my friend dont grow it unless you have big balls ha ha Its so strong i love it. And of course its from Ace.
Tangwena

Haha, have Malawi and Zamaldelica going, so i guess that's more or less one category, but let's not talk too much about my balls;)
Is your Panama from ACE too?
ZD

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi ZD everything I grew in my last post was from Ace, the two strains you have going will give you a very deep insight into Aces genetics. Just leave them as late as you can and you will be impressed for sure.
Good luck and good growing. Tangwena

Latest posts

Latest posts