What's new

Let's go Mexico!!

akornpatch

In case ya'll haven't heard:

Posted by CN Staff on May 02, 2006 at 10:06:28 PT
By Reuters
Source: Reuters

Mexico City -- Mexico's president will approve a law that decriminalizes possession of small amounts of marijuana, cocaine and other drugs to concentrate on fighting violent narco gangs, the government said on Tuesday.

President Vicente Fox will not oppose the bill, passed by senators last week, presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar told reporters, despite likely tensions with the United States.

"The president is going to sign that law, there would be no objection," he said. "It appears to be a good law and an advance in combating narcotics trafficking."

The approval of the legislation, passed earlier by the lower house of Congress, surprised Washington, which counts on Mexico's support in its war against gangs that move massive quantities of cocaine, heroin, marijuana and methamphetamines through Mexico to U.S. consumers.

Under the law, police will not penalize people for possessing up to 5 grams of marijuana, 5 grams of opium, 25 milligrams of heroin. Nor does the law penalize possession of 500 milligrams of cocaine — enough for a few lines.

The legal changes will also decriminalize the possession of limited quantities of LSD, hallucinogenic mushrooms, amphetamines, ecstasy and peyote — a psychotropic cactus found in Mexico's northern deserts.

Hundreds of people, including many police officers, have been killed in Mexico in the past year as drug cartels battle for control of lucrative smuggling routes into the United States.

The violence has raged mostly in northern Mexico but in recent months has spread south to cities such as vacation resort Acapulco.

While likely to complicate relations with the U.S. government, the legislation has drawn relatively little attention from the media in Mexico, where drug use is less common than in the United States.

Aguilar did not say when Fox would sign the bill.

Under current law, it is up to local judges and police to decide on a case-by-case basis whether people should be prosecuted for possessing small quantities of drugs.

Source: Reuters (Wire)
Published: May 2, 2006
Copyright: 2006 Reuters

G

Guest 10952

Suprised to see amphetamines in there for decrim. Wonder how many college kids will flock down there for the X.

Dreamscape

As far as my experience goes , whether it was criminalized or NOT you STILL have to bribe the coppers down there 100 pesos or they'll toss you in the clink. LOL don't make much difference down there you're still at risk to catch a batton (or an m-16 down there) in the ass if you dont pay up.

G

Our anthem. anybody hear it ,,,lol ...Mexico knows they cant controll there people, so hell with the law.. keep them out of jail so they can come to the u.s. illegaly....they are NOT immigrants.... people with documentaion and come to the u.s. LEGALLY are immigrants.The are illegal's and are breaking the law.. they are law breakers... There are good decent imigrants who are from mexico who come the LEGAL WAY!!! They lower the amount of money being payed for jobs. They lower the standard of living by cutt throting legal workers for less... Over crowd the schools , the roads ,the hospitals. on and on.. Ilegals go back to meaxico and enjoy youre drugs. if you whant to waite in line and do the paper work like any other immigrant,,, welcome then to the u.s......anybody else enjoy may 1st? no traffic. open roads..the stores where nice and not over crowded...open freeways...vote yes on the bill to close the borders...seal our borders now!!!!!

kent

Perhaps we should be a bit more sympathetic to impoverished people who are trying to make a living and have to leave their families to do so.

Kent

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
ganjaman thats not what this threads about.BUT I FEEL YA,BRO

Kent,i'm with DirtySouth on this one.HELL NO!!!

I have plenty of empathy for impovrished americans tryng to make a living,though.Oh yeah,that includes imigrants doing it right.

peace;1TT

Diego

just means more deaths in a crappy town. I live by TJ (San Diego) and when ecstasys ingredients were easier to get (late 90s up till 911) it was flooding mainstream san diego with pills being sold 10 for 80. If this happens expect to see a lot more money going to mexico. and a lot more idiot kids in your town. I can understand weed being legal, but the whole 9 yards is only asking for trouble. There is already enough drugs here anyways and hate to see weed even being mixed up in the same category as these other listed drugs. I am pro weed. Anti almost everything else. I liked mexico better when I was naive, now that I am an adult the place is too corrupt for me I will stick with America.

hieagle420

Cannabis Creeper
Veteran
Well the US has stuck its nose in ,now President Fox isnt going to sign it,he already sent it back to the Mexican Congress unsigned and wanted it changed... DAMN BUSH he fucks up everything...