What's new

Accute Torticollis = F**KING PAIN!!!!!!

A

Alone

Im in my 40's and my left upper body(neck,back shoulder) just suddenly locked up in my sleep, and now I can barely move my left arm. I have hardly any strength in it, and is hard to even hold a coffee. So painfull!
I went to emergency room and they gave me steroids, anti-inflammatories, and Valium. I also have xanax and baclafin muscle relaxers and methadone for the pain. For 4 days now I have been miserable and in stunning pain. No relief, and seems to be staying for the long haul.
The girl who gave me the baclafin said she has had the same thing for the last 4 months. OH NOOOO! Please say it aint sooo.

Anyone ever had this, or has it, and can help suggest a method of relief? I cant sit, stand, laydown, walk, nothing, without being in extreme pain. It feels like my muscles are being stretched to the max. I need to go back to work asap.

Last edited:

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran
Man that sounds like going true hell...
Hope someone is able to help you and you recover soon :ying::tiphat:

Indie

Sounds like bulging disk in your neck. Had the same thing in my lower back, the weakness is a sign that it's putting pressure on the nerve and causing pain, numbness, and loss of strength.
I know that nerve pain that never let's up so very well. Sorry to hear your having trouble, and I hope you can get some relief soon

justpassnthru

Veteran
Alone; if you've experienced no relief with those medications GO C YUR PRIMARY, asap. Which you should do anyway!!! And quit taking your friends medications. You are most likely on the correct medication, but you really need to get a 'work up' and make sure this is not a symptom of something more serious than simple muscular/skeletal pain.

If your shoulder is still locked up, you need to get on that with physical therapy, asap. Don't let it stay that way very long.

A sudden onset, during sleep, of such serious pain, could be symptoms of something much more serious. Please go see your regular M.D. or get one asap. jpt

(edit)Assuming you haven't had any serious injuries?

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Try some Acupressure or Acupuncture with a verified genuine Chinese therapist..
Get well soon mate.

A

Alone

TYVM everyone. I went and seen my Primary yesterday. He gave me Flexeril muscle relaxers. Im still in ALOT of misery. Ive missed a whole work week and I dont see me working hard next week either, but you never know.
It could be from extreme stress over multiple things that are huge emotional triggers to anyone thats a human being. The doc said it could be neurological. I just know that if it doesnt get better by Monday...Im going back to the ER for testing.

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Ive been stressed recently myself.. In my sleep I tend to clinch my teeth and end up grinding and almost dislodging some teeth in the process. I'm now using a mouth guard to help.

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery !!

A

Alone

I used to grind my teeth at night when I was a young child. It used to wake up my mother in her bedroom, down the other end of the hallway.
Ive had an incredibly stressfull life and wouldnt wish this upon anyone. I would bet anything that the Torticollis I have, is a physical manifestation from long term exposure to psychological trauma.
Today is day 6 of misery. Its now hurting the most on my upper/outside shoulder and just under my left shoulder bkade all the way down to the middle of my back.
I lost 90% of my strength in the left arm but now after a week Ide say its at 60% loss now.
The muscle twitching and spasms are just kicking in. The muscles were just locked before. Now atleast there twitching around everywhere.
The left arm gets numbness and hurts like Im pinching a nerve or cutting off the blood flow.
It also feels like a heavy weight is upon the back of my neck and shoulders.
Thanx for all the encouraging words.

Last edited:

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
I found instant relief at the accupuncturist... Don't wait! Go now! They will fix you up fast, and relieve the pain almost immediately.

Had this happen several times to me.

Best wishes... :)

Terry.Smells

Sorry to hear about your troubles mate.. I suffer from arthritis and can some what understand your pain.. My prayers are with you bro and hope you get the advice and help you need...

Terry.Smells

Sorry for double post but just thought I have something very similar to you where bout 10yrs ago my left side locked up exactly as you describe, one morning I woke up and bang I couldn't move my left side and it felt like all my energy had drained away...over the following weeks its just got worse. I visited my doc on a number of occasions and he couldn't figure it out till I went to the ER, there a young doc checked me out and diagnosed me with Poly (active) arthritis... I'm now on anti inflammatories (meloxicam 7.5 mg) and after trying many other meds these and a good smoke before bed are the only things that help.in my case it took 3yrs before they found the meds that worked by which time the crippling effect of arthritis had set in. I'm not in too much pain nowadays but can have down days. Try to keep an eye on your diet too as foods with high carbs can affect your body's balance and digestion of these takes it of your body, try meats and salads with plenty if water...hope this helps you somewhat...

A

Alone

The x-rays showed I have the start of arthritis. Im still miserable and broke so I can only get the treatment my med insurance covers. I will find out wed when I go to the orthapedic doctor. I think they will shoot me up with steroids.
Today is the start of 3 weeks of no work. I havent even paid my rent for this month yet and its almost over. Was hoping to go back to work today but I dont think so. It freakin hurts still.
If I had the dough I wouldve been at an acupuncture place a week ago.
Woke up this morning with hopes of working and feeling better but the pain is behind my left wing and my shoulder near the rotator cuff.

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Sorry to hear your feeling low. Keep your diet in check.
Wishing you much relief !!

A

Alone

Got a shot of cortizone in my shoulder yesterday. Wish me luck at work today.
I have to work. Its been 2 1/2 weeks and I just landed a good $1000.00 job.
Im soooo broke right now and I need soil to t/p my girls from 1gln pots to 5gln pots... so screw it.
I cant wait anymore. My girls outgrew the 8 bulb T-5 so I put half of them under my 600w MH lamp and the other half stays under the T-5
until I T/P them. Then all plants will be under 2- 600w MH lamps for another week, then I flip them.

B

BasementGrower

had the same thing happen about 3 months ago.. woke up in the am and couldn't get up and out of bed without shooting pains all over the arm shouldblades and back.. my moms friends with a chiropractor who did some amazing work while I did wait a week before I went just to see if it would work itsway out.. and nothing.. no meds did anything for it.. and the strength being so low ment I could barely do anything nevermind "work".. but anyways ya chiropractor solved my issue.. basicly he did wat he did. then I iced and heated it up for the night.. woke up the next day with almost full strength and almost no pain at all..

A

Alone

I feel soooo much better. I worked Thurs and Fri and was able to cut and roll cielings and walls and move heavy furniture. My friend, whos a kind woman, gave me the best 5 minute massage I ever had on Thurs after work, and that helped alot. Thank God for caring friends with good hearts.

hyposomniac

Old thread, but google "active release technique"
Specific type of sports massage, hurts, helped fix some things I thought were permanent, in a short time.