What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A question for the old timers.

I really can't remember the 70's :wave:

Hell, I can't remember where I put my pipe.............Dr. Grabow Pipes, for me. They look normal and no one needs to know whats inside. Handy for outside or in traffic. I never did the pot pipe thing much other than a bong or 2. Hard to get that stuff when you live in the woods/Gods Country. I did make a couple from Dads wood working gear. But you could always find a tobacco pipe at any drug store or gas station. All 2 of them.

V

vonforne

There were ceramic bongs but mostly we smoke joints and metal pipes.

I came out of the Midwest in the mid late 70´s and we rolled our joints and smoked hash under a beer glass and smoked out of ceramic bongs. We also had those shitty wooden pipes then.

I still prefer just self rolled joints.

V

Snowberry

Green Coke bottle worked for me back in the early 70s. A flat file cut a hole in the side about 3 inches up from the bottom, a plastic fuel line and brass fitting with a screen in the bowl finished the job.

Old school 1 hit bong, not expensive to make yourself unless you have no patience.

I recall there were glass bongs in the 70's, but most folks in my crowd used ceramic one-hit bongs but by far mostly just hand-rolled joints.

nukklehead

oh please am i the only one that put holes in an aluminum can to smoke out of??? you spoiled yuppies and baby boomers ? lol:)

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
O yea! - the Old Soda Can

O yea! - the Old Soda Can

The Old Soda Can - very handy, always around, could even find one in the woods!
:party:
Smoke Out

oh please am i the only one that put holes in an aluminum can to smoke out of??? you spoiled yuppies and baby boomers ? lol:)

Hehehehe................no..........what a throw back tho. Once in a while we actually would try to scrape the paint off that area of the can.

Some one else hit on this I think. Anyone else stick a pin thru an album cover, stick a bit of hash on it, lite it, cover it with a large glass or jar, let that fill with smoke, then carefully tilt the glass and inhale? I don't remember why or how I was shown this method but I did it a lot. I did prefer to eat my hash tho if I had a day of nothing to do. Seems I remember being jobless at the time so finding a day wasn't hard.

nukklehead

Hehehehe................no..........what a throw back tho. Once in a while we actually would try to scrape the paint off that area of the can.

Some one else hit on this I think. Anyone else stick a pin thru an album cover, stick a bit of hash on it, lite it, cover it with a large glass or jar, let that fill with smoke, then carefully tilt the glass and inhale? I don't remember why or how I was shown this method but I did it a lot. I did prefer to eat my hash tho if I had a day of nothing to do. Seems I remember being jobless at the time so finding a day wasn't hard.

Close,,, would shape a large paper clip to stand on its own with the point sticking up thin lit it and kept a glass over it. Would bend over to slurp the smoke from under the glass..

LOL about the can.. worked great till some newby "coughed" everything out of the "bowl":laughing:

Budmentor

I brought an onyx pipe back from Mexico during the early eighties that I used regularly for over 20 years. Resin got into a defect and it finally just fell apart.

Pangloss

First, let me establish my credentials as an old timer (as soon as I can find my teeth -- oh, yes, I left them in my walker). My first pack of rolling papers set me back two cents. It was from an old tobacconist in Boston, right off the Common. A couple of weeks later they were a nickle, then a dime. The guy learned quickly!

Now to the question: Never used plastic -- ugh!! And I wouldn't touch aluminum with tongs!! Dis-gusting!! Was that before or after taking a shot of turpentine?

No, I built my own water pipes from the very beginning. I tried a few designs, but finally figured out the secret -- you need a hose with a minimum diameter of half an inch (silicone, please, not vinyl, although my early pipes may have used vinyl tubing).

My best pipe, which I used for many, many years, was based on an old Martinelli apple juice bottle. Not the newer ones that were just plain -- the old ones with raised leaf designs worked into the glass. They were nice and big with beautiful round bottoms, and a mouth wide enough for two half-inch holes in a cork, one going down into the water, and one coming up for the toking tube. For the bowl, I used a clay chillum from Nepal, complete with chillum stone. I loved those small Nepalese chillums. The bowls were small, but if you were using anything decent, that's all you needed. I found one that fitted precisely into the top of the cork hole above the tube which went into the water.

You adjusted the performance by the volume of air, determined by the amount of water you put in the base -- more air space, and it acts like a bong, really supercharging the hit; less air and you get a much more immediate response to your toke. Too much air and only the third person on the pipe gets a hit . . .

But once I discovered vaporizers, I never looked back. But that's another thread.

Last edited: