What's new

A question for the old timers.

ABongNamedBob

Hey old timers, I'm in my early twenties and have been smoking since I was fifteen or sixteen - about seven years now. Thus glass pipes and bongs (my favorite way of smoking) have always been available to me. My question is, were glass smoking devices always available to you folks?

Older friends I toke with say they remember bamboo bongs, metal pipes, and wood pipes, but above all just lots and lots of joints. When did glass pipes and bongs become common? :confused:

cacamal

aside from the bodies of water pipes glass was not used to much for juana smokers until early to mid 90s. glass was more common with the pharmaceutical smoker until then

Herbalista

In my neck of the woods {Canada},there were glass pipes for smoking oil in,during the 1970's.Paid like 2 $ then.Fast forward 20 years went to purchase one for some oil in the 1990's....they wanted 30 $! for one! I could not believe the increase until the clerk told me the crack heads used them;...back to the hot knives!...There were also glass pipes available back then,bongs too.

glasseye

i still use the same old metal pipe i bought some 32, or 33 yrs ago. when you cant pull off it anymore, take it apart, get the propane torch out, and melt the resin out of it. have bought newer glass bongs & wood pipes, but still usually like the old pipe. doesnt transfer as much smell as joints to your fingers, and you can have one, two hits and am good to go.

weedies

I started to smoke before the invention of glass. In my day it was like the stone ages... we smoked out of pipes made from stone.

I Harvester

Back in the 70's there was a lot of ceramic bongs, wooden pipes and stones at least that's what the head shops in my area carried. Seems I remember the early 80's acrylic bongs became popular.

Oh yeah, talking about papers, I used to love the assortment of papers, wire papers(did not need a roach clip) papers with 100 dollar bill prints, there were fluorescent pink and green papers. The pink was strawberry flavored and the green was menthol, we used to call them "Bust me papers." Then there were camo papers with the brown and tan specks that looked like a filter, you put them in a cig roller and they looked exactly like a filtered cig.

Mikos

In the early 80's in Arizona, there were plenty of glass bongs and pipes... Toker2's were the most common glass bong and steamrollers were the most common glass pipes.

I can't find a good picture of a toker2. They were the best in my opinion. Below is a link/pic of a steamroller... not a discreet design by any stretch.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/Glass_Steam_Roller.jpg

Glass didn't seem as common as ceramic and acrylic bongs, metal pipes and of course joints.

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chillums, everyone had a chillum in the 70's, it was a wonderful social event to sit and prepare the chillum & it's stone while the mix was blended, pleading to use a clean piece of cloth instead of some TB ridden rag that made it's way from the East and therefore had magical properties, it did! it gave you TB :bigeye:

MaddsVonF

My papers are,,,,

My papers are,,,,

Older than you!:tiphat:

A small sampling of the devices. And more packed away here and there.

I have a dugout from way back that always seems to have a hit or twenty for traveling. And now I just picked up a Iolite and an Incredibowl. Fun Stuff.

The last pic is my traveling bubbler. Used to be my Great Grandmother's!

Stone pipes, Chillums, wood pipes, apples, cans, paper roll tube slammers, gas mask's,
and many more temp solutions. Let your imagination run amok.

Out of all of these I'm still banging that one hitter more than the others. Quick, clean hits, bang, I'm buzzed.

Madds

ftp

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
people first steered me towards glass in the mid-nineties

made wooden pipes in woodshop and even a bong out of a folgers instant coffee jar (w/ brass lamp parts-and that was a while ago cause the jar was glass)

gotta have a selection of lamp parts even today - you can make all kinds of odd pipes (and bongs) w/ some brass lamp parts

i m thinking of turning some wood bowls and stems and fitting them w/ tubing to have some homemade pieces i can run through my lamp part assortment

mk6

ep back in the day its was make your own... not gona spend $$ on anything I can make... bongs wer'nt as popular as water pipes in the 70's, made a few bamboo bongs, hard part was sealing the bottom... I would always look for a cool bottle to drill, cork the top then drop a metal stem down, it a put a ceramic bowel on it, an a air hose out the side... made tons of those for me an my friends... but drilling out my folks wine decanters was the best got some heat for that one... lol...

chilum

>Chillums, everyone had a chillum in the 70's

In my country in 80`s also it was most popular way of smokin`, lot of made by oneself.

Maybe `cause there were no papers, and if they were, then.... without glue.

Funny, but true.

Middle Europe LOL

greetz

Chilum

Last edited:
papers with 100 dollar bill prints
The serial number on those papers; I was told it was the number for the White House. Dialed in once, guy answered, "White House" was a DC area code. Hung up, never tried it again...

bobcat1963

Parker Schnobel
Veteran
In the mid 70's I had a 3 foot tall glass bong and a smaller glass travel bong,maybe a foot tall.But mainly we made our own.There was a place called Commercial Plastics and we would go in and tell the guy what we were making,and he would show us our options.Really cheap to make your own,and really good quality.Our homemades rivaled US bongs and apogee any day.:):)

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
I remember mostly stone and antler smoking devices. After making our arrowheads, we'd go out hunting and gathering, then take the left-over stone and antler fragments and make pipes. We'd sit around the camp fire, smoke some sacred herb, tell hunting stories, dance around a bit to insure a good hunt the next day, then retire to the cave to paint antelopes and buffalos on the walls. Good times! Don't even get me started on the crazy shit that went on when the bronze age came along.

(Exactly how old do you think us old timers are?)

Hank Hemp

Veteran
There were glass pipes in the 70's, I had one were after that bowel circled around for 5 inches to the stem. Pretty neat, lost it in the great fire of '77. Glass got common tho in the 90's.

Last edited:

the gnome

Veteran
I started seeeing the glass paraphenalia in my neck of the woods around 74-76ish.
up till that time I had a genuine bamboo bong I made, about 24" long and maybe 3" in diameter, with a smaller peice of bamboo as the stem.

this thing was an annihilater of mice and men alike!!
I met and old buddie from the early 70s that asked me if I still had it, he said he's yet to smoke a bong that was as smooth and potent as my old bamboo bong.

but the glass bongs i had I really enjoyed using as long as it was clean