What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

600W Vertical

SuperConductor

Veteran
Thought I'd keep a picture log of my first coco grow here, it's also my first vertical grow so should be fun.

All I did was cut the reflector off with a hack saw attach some chains and hung the lamp up. Under the lamp is a 12" industrial fan blowing the heat up away from the bulb. Then I put some garden fencing about 16" diameter around the bulb, the buds will be weaved into the fencing to make a v-scrog type affair or they'll just rest on it so they don't grow into the bulb.

The strains are sativa dominant but I've already noticed they're stretching much less than they would under a horizontal bulb. Another advantage is the temps are much lower, before cutting the reflector off I was beginning to get temp problems with the changing weather but now I need to heat the room so can control it easier.

This is the first week of flowering btw :joint:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

T

Teeg420

dude thats awesome!! I have also been interested in the vertical setups as well, I wish icmag would would have a vertical forum. It seems like a great concept almost tripling your grow area.

I like the screen you made around the bulb. How many plants are you using for this set up?

SuperConductor

Veteran
stink.wistler - thanks man, the room is a 4'x4' budbox that I cut to fit in my shed so it's a little shorter than normal. There are 2 Fritllary SSH f2s and the rest are my own cross with NepJam and a KC brain strain 8 plants in total.

osirica - cheers man I'm hoping so, will be adding another 600 after summer too ;)

Teeg420 - yeah man a vert forum would be cool, just need a few more threads. I saw this pic vertical awareness.gif but I can't remember who made it if anyone recognises it please link the thread.

I've got 8 plants in there just now but I think it would do better with 6-7

T

Teeg420

we should have 00420 moderate a vert forum. I think mr. celcius is the one responsible for putting up that pic of vertical awareness. I will post my vert thread soon enough once all the girls get transplanted. Yea hopefully more people will get turned on to growing vert. Guys like heath robinson, 00420, green bastard, prawn connerey, green light, sunny dog, northern farmer, and bongholio have proven that you yield more with vert. It just amazes me the yields these guys are getting. I even tore down my 4kw flat garden to replace it with a vert set up, i have yet to run it, but i am so close.

I am totally going to try this one day. I've got two 400w in cool tubes just waiting for a space big and wide enough to try a vertical. Heath Robinson, prawn connery, and bongholio all had impressive set-ups that I want to learn from. I'd love to see more at ICMag.

Thanks for sharing this SuperConductor, and I am tuned in to learn more if you don't mind.

SuperConductor

Veteran
Thanks Evilme :joint:

Teeg420, yeah those guys are an inspiration alright, I've seen some crazy arguments on other sites about the relative merits of vertical over horizontal but the results of those guys cannot be argued with. I think it's been about 2 months since I first saw Prawn's grow and thought 'I can do that', I was planning on shutting down for summer beforehand lol

Go for it Jed, it's really simple and has too many advantages not to at least try once to see if it suits you.

No problem Whodi, as long as the pigs don't visit I should manage at least once a week ;)

FirstTracks, yeah mate the light isn't as intense as under a reflector but I can get the bulb much closer and no energy loss from the reflecting itself.

I've had to remove one of the plants due to space, it was a shame cos it looked really good but it was the smallest and I have plenty of cuts for the next run. I think that 5 or 6 plants would definitely be best in this set-up, I'm trying to select mothers though so want as many as I can get away with.

Here's a couple of the SSH f2s, just finally managed to stop burning the tips on these, got my feed just above 1.2 ec or 610ppm.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

here's a couple of my own cross I'll be calling NRM for now. First one looks yellow but hps is shining on it plus it's a very light coloured strain, the leaves closest to the bulb are lighter too not sure why.
picture.php
picture.php

now this next pix is to show what the stretch on the NRM would be like with lights above them, quite a difference. I really think this is a great way to control the stretch on crazy sativas, I really had to get medievil on these plants last time I grew them with very agressive supercropping.
picture.php

Last but not least, when you cut your reflector off don't bin it. You can hang it so it covers the light to protect you eyes when working, a hat with a brim and a pair of UV shades helps too. HPS isn't so bad (still bad though) but MH are really bad for your eyes. Rule of thumb if it hurts your eyes it's doing damage.
picture.php

Smoke on folks :rasta:

Ryu

Hey SC, deviously seductive vertical awareness .jpg, thanks for posting.

How much cooler are your ambient temps with lights on now then when running with lights above?
Would also appreciate pot and room sizes when you get chance.

Respect
Ryu

SuperConductor

Veteran
Ey up mucker, seductive indeed when you see it like that. Hard to say exactly how much cooler it is but with horizontal on warm days I was already getting up to 28-30 degrees with just the lamp on and extraction full. Now I can have the room constantly around 26C with a small radiator on with thermostat and the fan rarely on full. The heat from the bulb is still there it just isn't being trapped under the hood it's blown towards the extraction by the fan.

The room is 1.2 metres square and the pots are 6.5 litres. Cheers dude, spliff time ;)

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
great setup, how are you feeding and watering and what are you giving them.

SuperConductor

Veteran
Thanks very much paranoidalien and C21H30O2! I hope you weren't offended I left you out of the list of inspiration for this grow but your screen name is impossible to remember lol

I'm feeding by hand this grow but will get drippers for next, when I'm feeling up to it and when time allows I aim to feed twice a day but they seem fine with once just now. The main feed is BAC hydro nutes and I suppliment with small amounts of magnesium, calcium and liquid silicone. Almost finished my rhizotonic and about to give a little pk 13/14 when the time is right, I'll wait til stretch is over I think.
Even though I'm down around 1.2 ec it's still too much so am going to turn it down another notch or two. That would be my main advice for fellow coco newbs, don't feed as much as you'd expect if I were following the BAC schedule my plants would be fucked badly by now.

Anyway here's some pics of two phenos of the NRM buds, one more hybrid-ish and the other more sativery. The latter is much stronger but they're both excellent smokes.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
The main feed is BAC hydro nutes

You'll have problems with BAC nutes in a rez m8, agreed they work brilliantly but when I made up a rez full I had to dump it the next day as it stunk, a mix of rotten eggs and septic tank ..... very strong smell too, hid the smell of the plants but it was vile

Played around for a year with them ending up with making the rez up just before lights on and throwing away what was left each morning, that stunk enough

Try mixing a batch in a jug and let it stand overnight, at least you'll have an idea if it is going to be a problem ..... they're expensive nutes too

Have you seen Bongholios latest, Kings Bread flowered in 43 days:woohoo::woohoo:

These 2 were part of an 11 plant run done with a vertical 600 watt .... best technique I've ever come across
picture.php

Bush:joint::joint:

NICE!!! i got the same thing in my cab with a 400W. did it with a 600w before though. 18" from the 600W produced killer results. good luck!

i think there is something with the stem getting light that causes side branching & less stretch. just a guess!

it's not too late for a scrog screen!!!

Wow this is really impressive! What nute formula are you usin? If I had known about this technique last grow maybe it wouldn't have been such a failure. Respect!

Latest posts

Latest posts