What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fan leaf removal?

G

Running some Sour Diesel IBL and ran out of room flower for the 5 girls, so 2 had to go under my 400watt T5s and required some LST. I've ended up with a lot of fan leaves that have dropped below the canopy, probably too far down for light penetration to reach. Just wanting opinions about when to remove fan leaves if at all. I'm about 2 weeks into flower, and some of the lower branches look stunted. This is the first time I've used my T5s for the entire flower cycle and I want to give these the best chance possible to do well.

picture.php

View image in gallery

I'm thinking the fans are just dead weight, not getting enough light to contribute anything and are just using up nutrients.

Thanks, would appreciate anyone's thoughts and opinions.

starke

I have recently begun defoliating at 21 days of flower, removing all lower growth/fans/popcorn that are not receiving light. I will be doing so on my current grow this Sunday and will put up some pics.

G

Thanks for the feedback Starke. I've actually removed the very lowest growth on these already, but wasn't confident about how far up to go. I plan to hit a few buds with a little dust from a nice male SD from this same grow and wanted to keep some of the lower branches for that purpose. I'll be watching for your plants to see how intensive you go with the defoliation.

As above all the time, helps stay on top of things..

Or if youre a figure of routine and schedule
Day 1 of flower
Day 21 of flower
Day 40 of flower

Gry

I use a trellised set up as described by Marlo in his Wall of Weed thread.
I go with stacked 600/400 lights.
I do an aggressive strip 7 -10 days after the flip. A lighter 'clean up' is done on or near day 21.
I use OG and Bubba for strains.

Thoughts ... I do a lot of stem manipulation - super cropping - along the way, works out well.
I am relentless with the initial strip- poor things look like plucked birds after.
The second time I mostly tuck and tie back foliage between buds and bulbs.
Defoliation results in even quality and bud development top to bottom.
I look forward to being able to replace my lights with LEDs.
PPK leads the way.

G

Appreciate the quick replies. I decided to go ahead with the first trim and will do a second maybe in a week or so. They sure look cleaner and more open to light and airflow just for the lite clipping.

Didn't want to be too aggressive with the first time, looks like that's how you all are doing the same work. I have 3 more of these girls under HPS that need this done also.

thanks again, Keif

Appreciate the quick replies. I decided to go ahead with the first trim and will do a second maybe in a week or so. They sure look cleaner and more open to light and airflow just for the lite clipping.

Didn't want to be too aggressive with the first time, looks like that's how you all are doing the same work. I have 3 more of these girls under HPS that need this done also.

thanks again, Keif

Done good bro, but I would also remove the big leaves still.. They are stopping light reaching further bud sites.. Remove them don't be scared your plant will love you for it...

St. Phatty

The fan leaves contain plant food and also collect energy.

BUT they're designed for outdoor use, where light is abundant. And the primary light source is essentially a plane.

What do do with the plucked fan leaves: chop them up a little & put them outside. Lots of animals like to eat them.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Haven't used T5 for flower but the best result I've seen is a flat canopy, 8-10" thick at finish.

I would spread it out and knock off many of the first node after a Y branch. Tends to be larf anyway.

G

Haven't used T5 for flower but the best result I've seen is a flat canopy, 8-10" thick at finish.

I would spread it out and knock off many of the first node after a Y branch. Tends to be larf anyway.

Yes, a canopy that takes advantage of the flat lighting arrangement from the 4 ft T5s is what I hoping to promote. T5s are about 10" from the tops at this point, and I can raise/lower lights as needed. Not sure if I should close the gap at this point or just let the plants stretch a bit and adjust the distance themselves. The T5s seem to be doing a good job so far and these plants have no other choice but to stay put til the finish, so we'll see.

I'll keep this grow updated in case others are interested in trying this arrangement with the T5s.

G

I use a trellised set up as described by Marlo in his Wall of Weed thread.
I go with stacked 600/400 lights.
I do an aggressive strip 7 -10 days after the flip. A lighter 'clean up' is done on or near day 21.
I use OG and Bubba for strains.

Thoughts ... I do a lot of stem manipulation - super cropping - along the way, works out well.
I am relentless with the initial strip- poor things look like plucked birds after.
The second time I mostly tuck and tie back foliage between buds and bulbs.
Defoliation results in even quality and bud development top to bottom.
I look forward to being able to replace my lights with LEDs.
PPK leads the way.

Thanks Gry, I'll check out Marlo's thread and yours too. Sounds like you've done lots of work with this matter. I'm certainly up for trying different ideas since i'm just growing for smoke and entertainment. Doesn't matter if something I try doesn't work, I just learn and move on.

I didn't believe in defoliation and have had many a raging argument with people and partners .But recently ive been watching grand master level and his defoliation technique so i gave it a go on two different plants and tjis is my 3rd time doig it . Seems to stunt them for 5 to 7 days then backto normal . Buds have more room to puff up . I will always do this method now .

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think it was Chunkypig who ran T5 for a year or so. Grew some amazing looking flower.

G

The fan leaves contain plant food and also collect energy.

BUT they're designed for outdoor use, where light is abundant. And the primary light source is essentially a plane.

What do do with the plucked fan leaves: chop them up a little & put them outside. Lots of animals like to eat them.

I think my hesitation for clipping anything from the plants come from the fact that for 2 months you try to make the plant put out all the leaf matter/branches possible. Then intentionally cutting away what you just worried worked to grow. Ha! But I do understand it's for the good of the end result that makes it necessary.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm thinking the fans are just dead weight, not getting enough light to contribute anything and are just using up nutrients.

Thanks, would appreciate anyone's thoughts and opinions.

Even if they don't get light (but they get even in your setup imho) fan leaves are not dead weight.
Once a leaf becomes big enough,it start to be an energy producer for the plant.

If the leaf doesn't get light at all, it could die. Plant uses it adsorbing mineral elements and organic compounds.

If the leaf get a little of light, it can live and store various elements for the whole plant, maybe used later or maybe not.

Taking them away is not good for the plant imho.

What you want to do is to remove small flowering sprouts, that can become popcorn buds influencing overall quality.

If you do lollypopping the right way, there is absolutely no need to remove any green form a plant. It makes no sense in most of the cases IMHO.

G

Even if they don't get light (but they get even in your setup imho) fan leaves are not dead weight.
Once a leaf becomes big enough,it start to be an energy producer for the plant.

If the leaf doesn't get light at all, it could die. Plant uses it adsorbing mineral elements and organic compounds.

If the leaf get a little of light, it can live and store various elements for the whole plant, maybe used later or maybe not.

Taking them away is not good for the plant imho.

What you want to do is to remove small flowering sprouts, that can become popcorn buds influencing overall quality.

If you do lollypopping the right way, there is absolutely no need to remove any green form a plant. It makes no sense in most of the cases IMHO.

Thanks Noreason, I can hear good arguments on both sides. What you say makes sense, but it seems there's good points for removal. Before I'd read your post, I had just finished clipping fan leaves from all but 1 of my SD ibl girls and had decided to not trim the last so I could run a comparison test. If you would be willing to use my untrimmed girl and look at pics, I would appreciate your advice on the lollypop method. I always like to try different things during a grow, kinda makes the time pass quicker. If you're able to do this, I will follow your direction no matter how drastic it might seem at the moment. :)

This plant is all original past the 3rd node. Hopefully you can see enough to get me started.

Thanks, Keif

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
after more than 10 years of growing and being an advocate for NOT removing a single leaf, i finally tried it after following a guy on you tube, grand master level. i defoliated at 3 weeks and never had so many huge buds at week9. here's an example of his leaf strip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFdTg60Yqs4&t=2s. check 10 episodes or so later and see how his turned out.

Latest posts

Latest posts