What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yield was no different for multifeeds

watts

ohms
Veteran
what difference does pot size make? a 5 gallon can be filled with lots of roots just as a 2 gallon could. As long as any container is full of roots it should be able to handle multi-feeds.

HUGE

Veteran
Vertical double cooltube, 1200w and about 850w of side lighting in 8 foot square room (approx 50w/sq foot) in coco
Lights on temp 25-27 degrees c - lights out 20-22
Veg RH 80-95 - Flower RH 60-70
Style is anything from 10 plants to 3 trees.

I've tried upto 8 feeds a day - It really doesn't make any difference compared to a wet dry cycle....admit it

The idea of multi feed is to get multiple dry downs per day instead of 1.

If your in anything but soil you should be feeding more Than once a day. If your not the pot is too big.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Letting the coco dry out after the first few weeks of flower is a mistake

Letting the coco dry out after the first few weeks of flower is a mistake

In my experience, the benefit of letting the coco dry is to promote root growth. Once the container is full usually the first week of flower for me I increase feedings as needed to never let the coco dry. I can keep the coco consistently wet with 3-5 feedings a day at peak. Keeping the coco wet will also prevent residue and it keeps the coco at optimum feed levels and uptake ph. Treat coco more like hydroponics and there is without a doubt an increase in volume and density of the finished product. That being said, feeding numbers are the last thing to look at. The environment is everything and having it under complete control and supplementing co2 plays a much larger factor in quality and quantity. I had good results with vertical bare bulbs but the horizontal de blows what I thought was good away.

Slipnot

It's all about pot size. If you are not drying out between feedings, multi feeds will just keep things wet.

2 gallon works great and you get over 5oz per plant.
Next grow I am actually going to try some 1 gallon.

The guy at my local hydro store thinks I am crazy using 2 gallon.......he says most of the people that buy the coco still use 5 gallon pots. I guess at worst I save a few hundred dollars on coco each year, I am too lazy to reuse.

Isn't that what you kinda want moist coco ??? letting it dry only creates salt build up :tiphat:

tiffa

IME (by the means of my own side-by-sides), the trick seems to be multi-feeding while still allowing the full wet/dry process between each feed. So if you want to feed 8 times per day. Your pot needs to dry out 7 times per day.

Ahhhhh...Thanks...that makes sense...I articulated the problem badly...But you give good food for thought there bud..EXCELLENT

tiffa

The thread stoned40yrs linked to is called "Coco trees". Do you understand VPD basics? If not that thread is a great read.
Good luck with whatever works for you

I do aye....I'm lucky where I live, its nearly always humid, especially in winter??..If I was going to improve in that area I reckon I would implement using a big muthafuckin aquarium....I reckon you could get the RH up a treat in one of them!

tiffa

5 month Veg time? He said 5 months?

Yes...for a laugh, to see what happens, 20170107_204522[1].jpg

You've gotta experiment a bit- This is her at 5 weeks flip

RedBeardy5

Once your roots fill out you should not have wet/dry cycle. All that is doing is turning your nutes into salt. DJM explains that in the thread that stoned40 posted. I have grown trees in 1 gallon easily.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
If I vegged one crop 5 months I'd be out of business in 2. Spend your energy growing bud, not stems and leaves.

chomsky

Vertical double cooltube, 1200w and about 850w of side lighting in 8 foot square room (approx 50w/sq foot) in coco
Lights on temp 25-27 degrees c - lights out 20-22
Veg RH 80-95 - Flower RH 60-70
Style is anything from 10 plants to 3 trees.

I've tried upto 8 feeds a day - It really doesn't make any difference compared to a wet dry cycle....admit it

I would say I totally agree. I have never done a comparison myself but have done a shitload of growing. I'm definitely no scientist but I think yield is dependent on two things. Genetics and the growers growing ability. A distant third may be the nutes you use. Personally, I have had my best yields in coco but I don't believe it's due to the number of times I water a day. I never actually let the coco go completely dry and my largest pot is 5 gallon eco's. I water once a day more or less with about 15 - 20% run off and every two weeks or so I'll do a light flush. When I grow in coco (which is all I will use from now on) I use Canna. It's definitely the cleanest and best coco available (imo) and even though it's expensive I use the full line of Canna nutes. I never seem to have problems going this route.

Maybe for my own benefit and of course the icmag community I'll do my next grow in smaller pots and multi feed?

-BRR-

Iused to get away with hand feeding daily well a few good 24oz girls in 75l bags and may have to continue like that doing outdoor coco.

But the science and forums weath of knowledgeable experience is clear. Automated timed feeds with correct pot size whoops hand feedings arse done properly.

One thing i’m more interested in is when going to 30-50gal in coco that advantage would be seen with a much lower or squat pot/bag profile. low with a wider footprint.

It’s my mission to find out.

Trend

This is a funny thread. Of course more feeds leads to more growth which leads to POTENTIALLY higher yields. Same with additives or co2 even. They are tools to faster growth rates when done correctly. Problem is the amount fed and the time between feedings. It's tricky to say the least. Easy on a monocrop but that's about it. Anything larger than a 5 gal is almost always a waste of time unless you're aerating your coco.

Latest posts

Latest posts