What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

People who live in areas that have legalized medical and adult recreational use...

hunt4genetics

Veteran
Did the local police start over enforcing laws that were over looked before? People no longer given warnings for minor traffic offenses, and ticketed? Or were there actual lay offs do to "Lack of business, aka human cargo"?

Thank you.

Peace

shaggyballs

Veteran
Bunch of new state cops here in Michigan.
Young cops seem to write more tickets.
Plus now your cop numbers are up here too.
Tickets can be $200 and they want the cash so there is that.

They do seem quick to pull you over for minor stuff and a look over.

But I do think if it is not a safety issue, warnings work pretty well.

I lost a boat on the interstate and got the boat off the road and home with no tickets.
Expired tags too.

But that was 30 years ago.
I dont think that would happen today.

M

moose eater

Initially stunned, and trying to find where they belong, while shifting enforcement (by all appearances) toward meth and opiates.

But there have been a few black market grows popped in the last several years. Though very few, from the limited news I've seen.

But with the prohibitionist minded conservatives in Juneau, I'd wager heavily that they WILL be looking for ways to go after black marketeers with a vengeance.

As I told folks several years back, "Before you were just the hippie dope-grower they loved to hate. Now you're the hippie dope-grower they STILL love to hate, but who now owes them $50/oz. production tax, and 5-10% retail taxes, plus licensing fees, etc."

The drug war, like racism, merely changed its face. It didn't crawl away to die.

As far as 'finding' reasons to pull folks over and shake them down, they've openly considered that to be 'pro-active police work' for years and years. That's not going away until they get sued sufficiently to the point where their antics cost them more than their municipalities and states are willing to pay. Soon, I hope.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When I lived in SO CO, there was more presence on the freeways w/ patrol cars parked, usually beyond a turn off exit.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It seems like every single legalization effort has some clause that gives money to law enforcement.

WHY?
It's senseless! If things are becoming MORE LEGAL then why do we need MORE ENFORCEMENT?

It just goes to show the rate of decay of our freedoms!
They're essentially gone with legalization!

White Beard

Because legalization means *MORE* laws, not fewer?

We thought it was “legalization” vs prohibition, but we were wrong: it was legalization vs de-criminalization - regulation vs deregulation.... having *got* it wrong, the thing to do is fight harder to make it right - not shrug our angry shoulders and let it stay like it is.

‘Not playing’ is giving up

thailer

it seems like they are more aware now than before. in the before time, i could get pulled over and have smoked pot while driving and never would i have an issue. they didn't develop a way to determine if someone was under the influence of cannabis but now they have a legal THC limit for your blood which is miniscule making it so anyone can get a DUI on wednesday for smoking weed on sunday. So before, most DUI's were for alcohol and unless you were looking like you were high as a kite intoxicated, there were no issues if you got pulled over.

i never even realized how much i actually smell like cannabis when i smoke or how long it lingers in the car when i drive till it was legalized. its like its ok to comment about it now and the stigma is gone, i don't know. i am smoking every time i drive in my car and have done so for decades but only recently have i gotten comments from strangers that i am smoking pot in my car. so awareness is higher and i can't be as discreet which is mind boggling to me that its easier to get caught now than before.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
It seems like every single legalization effort has some clause that gives money to law enforcement.

WHY?
It's senseless! If things are becoming MORE LEGAL then why do we need MORE ENFORCEMENT?

It just goes to show the rate of decay of our freedoms!
They're essentially gone with legalization!
To shut out the black market you silly wabbit :)

That being said, there will always be a black market and, if they are bent on squashing the BM, then commercial growers need to step up to the plate and grow decent bud, @ reasonable prices.

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
been pulled over in Michigan burning, but ate roach showed my card, warned not to smoke before driving, and that another cop could of had me tested and treated as a dui, and was sent on my way no ticket. this was two times. But I know others that have had a whole mess of problems, so Ide say it totally depends on both the cop, and how you handle yourself.

fwiw, i have an ona spray that seems to help more then any other spray ive used(most sprays make smell like ya just smoked and have a funky air freshener, the ona seems to get rid of it more)

thailer

been pulled over in Michigan burning, but ate roach showed my card, warned not to smoke before driving, and that another cop could of had me tested and treated as a dui, and was sent on my way no ticket. this was two times. But I know others that have had a whole mess of problems, so Ide say it totally depends on both the cop, and how you handle yourself.

fwiw, i have an ona spray that seems to help more then any other spray ive used(most sprays make smell like ya just smoked and have a funky air freshener, the ona seems to get rid of it more)

i'm always worried about smelling in my car and have tried febreeze fabric softener scented spray because it smells like fresh clothes. i was interested in making my own vape carts with the flavors so it smells like pineapple or blueberry instead of cannabis but the true terpenes thread had me shy away from that. i know some people who've sworn by those for driving with stories of being pulled over by ignorant cops.

So far, i was being pulled over a couple times a year when i was a young driver with zero issues. ever since they made it legal in washington and developed testing procedures for DUI, i've driven the speed limit and obeyed the traffic laws which has been the best way to not have to deal with police. it was really difficult to quit speeding though but i've realized that even when i was speeding around town, i really wasn't getting there any quicker. i've not been pulled over since and from what i hear, i don't want to.

White Beard

I never smoke while driving, ever.
Not to say I’ve never driven stoned, when I was very young, I remember one particular drive...taught me to WAIT until I’m ready

Not smelling like weed, for a smoker, is really very easy: once in “clean” air, loosen up and scrub out your hair; do the same with your facial hair if you have any; get your neck all the way around; adjust your clothes, make sure you’re not trapping air with reek in it; brush the outside of your clothes - sleeves, front, sides, collar; drive with the window down.

I smoke daily, canna and tobacco, and most people don’t know it because I never smell like smoke. Takes, like, a minute...

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
I'm older, white, lower middle class. I don't anticipate any issues. I drive high daily. I don't smoke and drive at same time & I don't break speed limit or road laws. I haven't been pulled over in well over 30 years. I even put legal weed in trunk when I buy. Why tempt the fates?

thailer

its a rare day when i meet anyone that won't smoke while driving. i'm usually the one slapping their hand when they try to take a hit with a car right by us. i live out in the country so most of the time i got a few minutes of private driving till i get to the city so i toke it up on my way to just about anywhere. never seemed to be a problem till it became legal and i guess more people were exposed to the smell that would've have been in the position before. can't smoke in the city with people around you toking up at a stoplight while joe schmoe stares at you from directly across. just taking one or two hits stinks up the car.

also, i realize that it takes a minute to freshen up so i don't smell like pot. i actually have twice been told that i smell like "marijuana" when i have went to good length to not smell like it. i was pretty surprised. so its just that more people are aware of the smell and i can not get away with even putting on fresh clean clothes and washing up without some prudent person making some comment. maybe my bud just lingers lol i dunno.

redlaser

Veteran
I’ve driven after smoking quite a bit when I was younger, prefer not to do it these days. Even though it’s legal here and supposedly not a cause for a search, cops still hate weed and use it as an excuse for a roadside fishing trip.

Something a comedian said that I agree with, “ I don’t think smoking something that made me think the cat is winking at me is a going to help with my driving ability”

Got pulled over at 10:30pm on St. Patrick’s Day, had a case of beer unopened on the seat, hadn’t been drinking at all. Just finished a stinky joint though.

Got put in handcuffs, taken to station, charged with DUI. Luckily my car was clean, had two joints in a cassette case in my shorts they missed because they never searched me.

Beat their DUI because I was able to do a toilet water substitute instead of pee. Happened about 1992

X

xavier7995

What are you guys doing to get pulled over so much? I dont even remember the last time i got pulled over, its been like 15 + years. I just drive a nondescript car and follow traffic laws. Middle class white dude super powers.

Edit: moved to denver shortly after it went legal. Police here dont seem to go after petty shit in general. I see very few speed traps and the foot patrols are mostly focused on junkies and crazy homeless people.

Hydro8

In Colorado many opponents of legalization bent over backwards to come up with stats that stated crime was up. I have only heard of studies and stats that clam crime has gone down.

In Denver we have real crime robberies, murders, car thefts in general most police do not pay much attention to an average person that smells like weed. In the more rural areas of Colorado we have meth.. twacked white trash in junk cars with stolen junk, neck tattoos and lose syringes.

Seems like around here law enforcement has easier targets and more profitable things to mess with.

White Beard

What are you guys doing to get pulled over so much? I dont even remember the last time i got pulled over, its been like 15 + years. I just drive a nondescript car and follow traffic laws. Middle class white dude super powers.

Edit: moved to denver shortly after it went legal. Police here dont seem to go after petty shit in general. I see very few speed traps and the foot patrols are mostly focused on junkies and crazy homeless people.

I realized a long time ago what signs cops look for, and since then I’ve only been stopped for an expired emissions sticker, and he saw the paperwork that showed I’d been in to get one, and let me go.

One of the biggest things cops key on is being looked at: if you see a cop, *immediately* shift how you’re driving, and *watch* them, they pick you out.... my biggest advantage is being a grizzled old white guy driving a pickup; being strict about lane changes, turn signals, braking early - things that signal my complete control over the vehicle and awareness of road conditions.

redlaser

Veteran

I asked that when pulled over and it was “because you crossed a four lane highway”.
I was driving south on a four lane, two going each direction. It’s the only way to cross the highway, it was a legal turn. Total fishing trip/speed trap little Missouri town called Leadington. Old lead mining area.
Got the same superpowers as you, but those tickets don’t write themselves I guess.
Reeking of weed in a state that’s given a life term for pot sales is going to get you thoroughly searched, and in my case charged without evidence.
I used to drive a car with a lifted rear end and wide tires, been pulled over several times for speeding and searched, was not speeding at the time. Even had it happen with newer trucks, it seems to be all about the forfeiture laws for them, trying to take the car.
Almost thirty years ago though, haven’t had any issues since then.

hunt4genetics

Veteran
Thanks everyone for these great response, I am grateful. But I was mainly wondering if local LEO ramped up enforcement of other minor infractions, that before legalization they simply ignored, so as to make up the shortfall in revenue that they no longer receive from the fining and prosecution of cannabis?