What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sunny Garcia in Portland ICU after Suicide Attempt

St. Phatty

sunny-garcia.jpg

I have been rooting for Sunny as long as I've been a fan of pro surfing.

He is one of the 4 pro's I have met outside of a contest. I was using the Smith Press to do leg stretches at the gym in North County San Diego, and noticed that he was over by some other machine watching me stretch.

I couldn't think of anything to say besides, "hey, you're Sunny Garcia !!"

I didn't want to sound like a fan boy so I kept on stretching.

Now I wake up this morning and find out that one of the most ornary pro surfers tried to accomplish the rather difficult task of ending his own life. Difficult because he's rather tough.

One of my other memories of Sunny is watching the 2008 Pipe Masters and the Million Dollar punch.

Sunny was on the verge of making it back to the WCT (major leagues).

He was in a 4 man heat with the Brazilian Neco Padaratz.

Somehow Sunny got caught in Neco's leg-rope and they went over the falls together.

First thing Sunny does is punch Neco. Like I said, Million Dollar punch.

Out of the heat. He was right on the edge of re-qualifying, but not after that punch.

A terrible case of snatching Defeat out of the Jaws of Victory.

What Sunny is known for is power carve turns.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that he tried to check out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvPaCF-FnxT/?utm_source=ig_embed

one of his recent IG posts about dealing with the combination of sadness & fear that gets mis-labelled "depression" in Western society.

W

Water-

Sunny was one of a kind.
a living legend among surfers

his last instagram post yesterday is pretty sad. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw0vh7WpcnV/
sounded like he had enough and was proud of how far he had come and what he had achieved.

hopefully it wasnt medication related

St. Phatty

Sunny was one of a kind.
a living legend among surfers

his last instagram post yesterday is pretty sad. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw0vh7WpcnV/
sounded like he had enough and was proud of how far he had come and what he had achieved.

hopefully it wasnt medication related

I liked how Dane Reynolds kind of bridged the Sunny-power / Josh Kerr - Air game.

Sunny said, "airs are for kids" and was not into them.

But Dane's carves are as radically break-the-board powerful as Sunny's.

The article said he tried to hang himself. He is strong physically, like a bull. He might have lost some of that edge as he got older but I think he would have to jump off a 200 foot high building to actually hang himself.

I hope he doesn't end up in a wheelchair, that would not be good for his spirit.

Latest posts

Latest posts