What's new

New Zealand And Australia Outdoor Thread 2016/17

Gday all

Thought I'd start a thread for us outdoor growers down under.

Spring has well and truly started with the classic '4 seasons in a day' weather, been pretty wet over here in NZ and doesn't seem to be letting up anytime soon.

Anyway this year I germinated my seeds at the beginning of September and left them outside to get acclimatised to the conditions and daylight hours. The strain is an accidental cross of Ace Seeds Orient Express(Chinese Yunnan x Vietnamese Black) and a Black Domina x G13 strain of an unknown spanish seedbank. I've grown the strain outside before and has a good variety of phenos with a heavy OE influence(pollinator) with good mold resistance and some very nice strong weed and finishing early April.
WP_20161006_004.jpg
They're powering away nicely despite crap weather
WP_20161006_005.jpg

A trifoliate seed popped up this year! never seen one before so it should be interesting

I'm in the process of digging and prepping holes ready for planting in mid October. The plants will be grown fully organic too.

Please don't be afraid to share your crops on here big or small, the more posters the better :biggrin:

Bring on 2016/17 season! :woohoo:

Cheers.

canna317

hi bro, im in the eastern australian desert zone, im surprised you can plant out so early & not have your plants bud up straight away cos of the very short daylight hours in NZ at the beginning of september? i plant out about the same time but have to run supplemental lights outside on the plants to stop them flowering when only 12" high, i run the lights till 2am in the morning, with sunrise 6am here now so about 20hrs of light for them

canna317

from left to right -
2A - Cannaventure Raspberry Kush(purp pheno) x Mosca C99 m
3C - GDP(purp pheno) x Mosca C99 m
4A - Alphakronik Jackpot Royale x Mosca C99 m
5B - Mosca C99 x Irie Cookie Stomper m
7A - DGOG(purp pheno) x Irie Cookie Stomper m

rod58

hey boys , looking good up there ^ ..thought i'd put my two bobs worth in ..
its been a different year over here in the western edge as well , .we are still getting 10c nights and days are early to mid 20s , its been a nightmare getting seeds to pop , lost a heap !
got a few in to very wet soil , fingers crossed it doesn't get any wetter for a while .
my strain , skunk#2 x silver pearl , are all beginning to power away .others are malawi , golden tiger , g13 x hashplant plus a few fem freebies ? ..
still got several fem gorilla glue { autos } to go in .don't know what the fuck i was doing there ! must have been drunk when i ordered them !:biggrin:
all in all , and as tough as it has been trying to keep to a schedule because of rain and bloody frost in october as well , i'm pretty stoked about it all . i'll see if i can get a few pics a bit later on . :tiphat:

rod58

very strange year so far . got two days that were 40 and 38c and the rest in the early 20s , 18c today ...
but good that we got rain , should keep things damp .
haven't been to have a look , might be ok until mid january ..
here's a couple more from earlier.check out the soil , i call it silver loam ...lol..except for the top inch the rest is pure gutless white sand skunk#2 x silver pearl {bottom} and g13 x hashplant
picture.php
picture.php

Dog Star

Veteran
But a drainage is perfect.. ;)

Plants look very healthy and strong,good job Rod58

What do you amend in this kind of soil,how much mix per hole??

Kind regards

rod58

hey doggie , all i do is add a couple of handfuls of blood n bone and one of complete fertilizer .. just too far in to carry any quantity of gear ..
this year i also used two handfuls of water crystal so hopefully i'll reap the benefits of that .
and yes , very well drained , its a bottomless patch of sand . most normal years i wouldn't even contemplate growing there , just too dry !
usually by now we are getting weeks of 35-40c plus days and just no rain , still a long way to go yet though ..cheers doggie

rod58

into the patch again ,4.30am, seriously looking for some rain ..just starting to struggle now .bottom pic is my "silver loam " lol .
picture.php
picture.php

Whats up Kiwis! Having a few plants out always brings a silver lining for when its raining. Wouldnt mind a bit of sunshine now...

Last edited:

ozzieAI

Veteran
rob have you tried a heavy mulching around your plants?...

i too have grown in sand and it really helped...also you could cut away some of the foliage to reduce the transpiration and maybe lollipop the branches to focus the energy on more productive parts of the plants...

good luck...

rod58

rob have you tried a heavy mulching around your plants?...

i too have grown in sand and it really helped...also you could cut away some of the foliage to reduce the transpiration and maybe lollipop the branches to focus the energy on more productive parts of the plants...

good luck...

hey mate , sure have tried it ..just gets so fecking dry is all ..
that bigger plant has a bucket full of water crystals under it as well ...just my lot really !
we are winter wet but summer dry .
trouble too is that the sand has no bottom to it , i just hope every year that we get a cyclone up north which sometimes generates big rains for us down south ..hasn't done that now for about 4 years ..
lol..my day will come !

rod58

hey doggie , its just too far in to get water to ..
i've grown in this spot for 5-6 years and only once have we got good january rains to finish them good ..
nothing lost really , i have other places and if this lot do great then its a bonus ..god ! i'd love a bonus this year though ...lol
i'm learning that after nearly 40 years of growing that stress is a wasted emotion !
i do the very best i can at the start then its in the lap of the gods ...hahaha

ozzieAI

Veteran
i'm learning that after nearly 40 years of growing that stress is a wasted emotion !
i do the very best i can at the start then its in the lap of the gods ...hahaha

i am on the same wave length here...i chuck plants away due to it being too wet so that mould sets in...

Dog Star

Veteran
That is correct way cause you made a fighter from her,she fights for water
and roots go deep.. good choice.