What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

23 states and D.C. have provisions for medical cannabis how many allow home growing?

shaggyballs

Veteran
So far, 23 states and the District of Columbia have each come up with distinctly different approaches for providing much needed medical cannabis.

How many of these states have made provisions for patients to provide themselves with their own medicine without being forced to purchase a commercialized product that may or may not be the type (strain ect.) that functions best to suite that particular patient needs?

How many states allow the patient to decide for themselves the type (strain ect.) of cannabis that works best for that particular patients needs?

If they so choose can they grow what works best for them at home?

For some patients that are not able to work this may be a necessity as most patients in this category are on a fixed income and can not afford the currently high dispensary prices.

I am very interested in any and all feedback on this subject.
But please folks let us keep the elementary school type arguments out of this thread for once.

To me this is a very serious issue at hand here and may even have a profound effect on the current legalization language.

Peace to all
Shag

LUNAROSE

In California you can grow it a MMC but different counties allow different amounts. In Los Angeles you can grow up to 6 mature plants unless you get an exemption which allows for more. On mine I am allowed to grow up to 50.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good question, def that is the most important factor to me and many of us on icmag....

i know you can in Colorado, washington, oregon, michigan, maybe in arizona also if u dont live near a dispensary.

shaggyballs

Veteran
So only 5-6 out of 23?....really?
I confirm Michigan with 12 plants.
Any others?
I think Alaska, but dunno?:dunno:
I still don't understand that whole "if you live near a store you can't grow your own food" thing..LOL :chin:

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
New York just passed a medical cannabis program. Everything about it is centralized. All growing is illegal other than those companies that got one of the few permits.

-Funk

dddaver

Veteran
This was last year, but probably about same now I imagine. But also, I don't think that the 23 states mentioned in this email are including those four legalized states that are mentioned earlier in this thread. I imagine the email is just talking about medical here, I think anyway. I think 2 states went legal this year, and DC though too.

Karen O'Keefe, JD, Director of State Policies for Marijuana Policy Project (MPP), stated the following in a May 29, 2014 email to ProCon.org:
"Some or all patients and/or their caregivers can cultivate in 15 of the 23 states. Home cultivation is not allowed in Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, or the District of Columbia and a special license is required in New Mexico. In Arizona, patients can only cultivate if they lived 25 miles or more from a dispensary when they applied for their card. In Massachusetts, patients can only cultivate if they have a hardship waiver. In Nevada, patients can cultivate if they live more than 25 miles from a dispensary, if they are not able to reasonably travel to a dispensary, or if no dispensaries in the patients' counties are able to supply the strains they need. In addition, Nevada patients who were growing by July 1, 2013 may continue grow until March 31, 2016.

Scrappy-doo

MA allows atm 3 mature and 3 immature plants, and up to eith 12 or 16oz of medicine, supposedly until all the dispensaries get up and running. Looks like they're draggin their feet on that though so it could stay like this for a while.

prune

Veteran
more than those that allow the "boutique" growing model a lot of folk had hoped for...

ronbo51

Veteran
No one has mentioned Maine. They have a pretty good setup. Six females per cardholder. I can't remember about vegging plants but it's very high number, easily enough. You can also grow up to 36 plants as a caregiver.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Unfortunately that's legalization..

Unfortunately that's legalization..

Are we losing the right to grow at home?

Of course the government wants to control your grow. Then Tax it and arrest you.

Politicians know better than we do. They want the money.

No police problems here :party: Just don't sell it!

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heh yes you never had the right and most likely never will. Government will do what it always does and preserve it for it self to profit off of and those it picks and chooses, which is never the little guy, because those with access to government use it to legislate out competition even on the local level.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Heh yes you never had the right and most likely never will. Government will do what it always does and preserve it for it self to profit off of and those it picks and chooses, which is never the little guy, because those with access to government use it to legislate out competition even on the local level.

well stated!

jack-straw

maine

maine

legalization bill will allow 6 plants to home growers. Maine has come up with a total square footage of canopy space state wide and will be allocating 60% allotment of square footage to the 8 existing dispensary's, and letting the all the rest of the current caregivers fight over 3000sq ft spaces. example 1,000,000 sq feet take 60% of it and split it with 8 dispensary's and now take remaining 40% split into 3000 sq foot sections and divvy up with the rest of us. dispensary's here have been pushing to monopolize and if this bill passes the caregiver program will probably be phased out within the next 5 years.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
still at it eh shaggy? anyway i say vote yes on whatever bills will allow your state to go medical so you can have loopholes to exploit. then grow that shit anyway. poundsignbeatthemattheirowngame

peaces. fuck the polies.

"do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law"

Just get a carbon filter if you grow indoor. If you grow outdoors, use huge containers and stick to plant limits. Shouldn't run into any problems that way if you're honestly just growing for yourself. Not running dry will depend on your growing skill, but indoor allows you multiple harvests per year and 6 outdoor plants will easily supply you for a year unless you smoke your homies out with blunts 24/7. Worse case, you run out of smoke. At least bud is cheap in a legal market.