What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

In depth study of Nutrients and Additives for Cannabis

Granger2

Veteran
Thanks, Shaggy,
I posted this as Ledtester's Nute Study back in Feb. in this section and in Side By Side Grow Experiments. To date there have been no responses. It's great info and I have followed his EJ feed chart for a few grows with great results. I like his methodology. Good luck. -granger

Granger2

Veteran
Shaggy,
I've seen his work under the name Ledtester, and before that, another name. What was the name on the version you ran across? Thanks. -granger

Granger2

Veteran
I haven't noticed any difference, but I didn't compare them, except for the results section, and to see if the same nute were tested. -granger

Dkgrower

Veteran
Guys pls keep it simple - in all my years off growing I used about every kind off brand on the European market and what I have learned is,

keep it simple and give em a balanced feed in an good environment.

I prefer an organic based fertilizer but have had awesome results with salt based fertilizers

L

lemongrove

I've been using Dyna-Gro products now on a nearly constant basis for over two years and I'm telling you that this person did not feed the plants properly at all. He said he was treating it as a hydro. type grow but he didn't use anything close to the recommended amount of the nutrients Dyna Gro recommends for hydro or even a drain to waste system.
He said he used the half a teaspoon of the grow because that is what the bottle recommended. If his reading comprehension would have been better he would have looked at the heading of the instruction where that recommendation is for Maintenance, as in an established plant; not for a fast growing marijuana plant. That is why Dyna Gro has a schedule for different types of feeding on-line. Also 1/2 a teaspoon is 2.5ml and he said he used the amount because that is what was on the bottle for Maintenance but then he said he used 5ml. He used 2.5ml if he was using the 1/2 teaspoon feeding he said he used.
Here is what he should have used:In grow he should have been using the grow product as follows, Wk.1-5ml,Wk2-7.5ml.Wk3-10ml, Wk.4-12.5ml. Plus Pro-Tekt in grow-Wk.1-2.5ml,Wk.-2-2.5ml then 5ml at each feeding(every time you water) for the rest of the weeks of grow and all of bloom. Also Dyna-Gro's MagPro should have been used from the second week of grow and throughout the bloom cycle at a rate from .5ml to 2.5ml at each feeding. He also said he used a bunch of different additives creating God only knows what kind of ratios.
He used 5ml and 7.5ml throughout bloom of the Bloom product. He should have been using it at a rate of 12.5ml for the first week of bloom then 12.5ml Wk.2, then 15ml each feeding for weeks 3,4,5,6 and 10ml in week seven and flush in week 8 or keep feeding at week seven rate until one week before harvest.
So he grossly underfed the plants, didn't use all of the nutrients recommended, added a mid bloom flush that is unnecessary and causes a plant to go into shock because of the loss of all nutrients in mid bloom. If you water until about 10%-15% of the nutrient water you put into the pot runs out in the tray, you will be doing enough flushing with a full nutrient solution every time you water to keep salts at an acceptable level in the container.
After all of his mistakes using a product he then makes an ill-informed judgement on it's productivity. Of course his end product was not nearly as good as it can be and if he would have used the Advanced Nutrients or any of the other nutrients at one third to one half of the amount that is required, their results would have much less than they could have been as well.
When I use these products I don't have any of the issues he said he had but then I follow the manufacturers feeding schedule(unless a certain strain has issues, then I adjust until all is well) which he did with the Advanced Nutrients but not at all with Dyna Gro. Hmmm.
I get Big, beautiful, sweet smelling buds. Dyna Gro has great products that are cheap, easy to use and give great results. That's why I keep using them. If it ain't broke don't fix it; unlike this reviewer who didn't investigate enough to know how to use the products properly. I find it odd that a person who had never used these products would not look for the on-line feeding schedule that the manufacturer supplies for their products.
I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about Dyna Gro based on this guys misuse of the products. They are cheap,easy to use and give you buds every bit as good if not better than Advanced Nutrients for about 1/4 the cost. But you do have to use them right.

Last edited:
Hey shaggy I believe I seen this a long time ago posted by a guy called 3LBS or three little birds. Could be wrong. Either way awesome info to keep around

I think it was from a poster on the farm named bayarea

This is hands down the most comprehensive breakdown of nutes done with great detail.
It should be a sticky in every nutrient forum.

I've been using Dyna-Gro products now on a nearly constant basis for over two years and I'm telling you that this person did not feed the plants properly at all. He said he was treating it as a hydro. type grow but he didn't use anything close to the recommended amount of the nutrients Dyna Gro recommends for hydro or even a drain to waste system.
He said he used the half a teaspoon of the grow because that is what the bottle recommended. If his reading comprehension would have been better he would have looked at the heading of the instruction where that recommendation is for Maintenance, as in an established plant; not for a fast growing marijuana plant. That is why Dyna Gro has a schedule for different types of feeding on-line. Also 1/2 a teaspoon is 2.5ml and he said he used the amount because that is what was on the bottle for Maintenance but then he said he used 5ml. He used 2.5ml if he was using the 1/2 teaspoon feeding he said he used.
Here is what he should have used:In grow he should have been using the grow product as follows, Wk.1-5ml,Wk2-7.5ml.Wk3-10ml, Wk.4-12.5ml. Plus Pro-Tekt in grow-Wk.1-2.5ml,Wk.-2-2.5ml then 5ml at each feeding(every time you water) for the rest of the weeks of grow and all of bloom. Also Dyna-Gro's MagPro should have been used from the second week of grow and throughout the bloom cycle at a rate from .5ml to 2.5ml at each feeding. He also said he used a bunch of different additives creating God only knows what kind of ratios.
He used 5ml and 7.5ml throughout bloom of the Bloom product. He should have been using it at a rate of 12.5ml for the first week of bloom then 12.5ml Wk.2, then 15ml each feeding for weeks 3,4,5,6 and 10ml in week seven and flush in week 8 or keep feeding at week seven rate until one week before harvest.
So he grossly underfed the plants, didn't use all of the nutrients recommended, added a mid bloom flush that is unnecessary and causes a plant to go into shock because of the loss of all nutrients in mid bloom. If you water until about 10%-15% of the nutrient water you put into the pot runs out in the tray, you will be doing enough flushing with a full nutrient solution every time you water to keep salts at an acceptable level in the container.
After all of his mistakes using a product he then makes an ill-informed judgement on it's productivity. Of course his end product was not nearly as good as it can be and if he would have used the Advanced Nutrients or any of the other nutrients at one third to one half of the amount that is required, their results would have much less than they could have been as well.
When I use these products I don't have any of the issues he said he had but then I follow the manufacturers feeding schedule(unless a certain strain has issues, then I adjust until all is well) which he did with the Advanced Nutrients but not at all with Dyna Gro. Hmmm.
I get Big, beautiful, sweet smelling buds. Dyna Gro has great products that are cheap, easy to use and give great results. That's why I keep using them. If it ain't broke don't fix it; unlike this reviewer who didn't investigate enough to know how to use the products properly. I find it odd that a person who had never used these products would not look for the on-line feeding schedule that the manufacturer supplies for their products.
I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about Dyna Gro based on this guys misuse of the products. They are cheap,easy to use and give you buds every bit as good if not better than Advanced Nutrients for about 1/4 the cost. But you do have to use them right.

100% agreed with what this dude just said.

Except the flushing part. I feed 3x and then do a semi flush with like 3ml of CalMag only. So about 200ppm. Which is a pretty light flush if im feeding 1000ppm in flower.

Granger2

Veteran
His EJ feed chart works well, and is about right. He states that he has more exerience with EJ. Good luck. -granger

Latest posts

Latest posts