What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do you save your stems?

Puffin13

Lifetime Supporter
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Like the title asks, do you save your stems? What do you do with them? Make cannabutter? Tincture? I know that they are fairly low in cannabinoids but there is still a little bit in them. I started saving my stems, on a regular basis, about 2 years ago with the thought of making cannabutter with them. Please share your experiences with using stems. :thank you:

kaochiu

Veteran
I've never tried to get any substance from them, but i don't like throwing them away. So, what i do everytime i harvest outdoors is make a fire with the plant's leftovers and cook a big, big steak. Oils help a happy fire and soon you get ashes, just enough time to cook a top chef steak. It's something like spiritual, and i call it a Steak Weedwood.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
They make great infused oil that adds an earthy flavor

I use a glass jar cut stems to fit then pour either a HQ olive, grape seed or coconut oil

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
I used to save em, thinking I'd make butter. Then my mate got busted, and a bagful of nearly a years worth of stems was counted exactly the same as buds....
I don't save my stems anymore.

harry74

Veteran
Hello:
I´m usually using them for compost making with leaves roots and everything.
I try to make them small pieces when I´m not in a lazy mood.
This ones are Blueberry stems quite reddish.

Grass Lands

Veteran
I save them for tinder to start fires...works quite well when dried completely, they torch right up when using magnesium shavings and a spark.... :)

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
currently using my stems for .... late night dog treats to settle them down.... my dogs love a good branch......

fungzyme

I've always thought that somebody in a legal state (like a dispensary) should get a shitload of stems together and contract with an artist to make some cool artwork out of hemp fiber or hemp paper.
Something they could display in their dispensary. There are a bunch of talented artists working in fiber arts, and hemp fiber is one of the best there is.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
I don't know about using them for compost. They seem to stand up pretty well to the elements. They use to make sails out of hemp didn't they?

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
I've always thought that somebody in a legal state (like a dispensary) should get a shitload of stems together and contract with an artist to make some cool artwork out of hemp fiber or hemp paper.
Something they could display in their dispensary. There are a bunch of talented artists working in fiber arts, and hemp fiber is one of the best there is.

I often see visions of pot stem / gingerbread houses.... in full blown holiday decor....

Jhhnn

Veteran
I just chop stems up small, 1" or so when harvesting, put them & the fan leaves in the compost. It'd be different if I were growing trees.

I gift the popcorn & sugar leaves to an oil making charity.

Even though it's now legal in Colorado, old habits die hard. I still see any cannabis that I don't want to consume as an unnecessary liability, treat it as such.

supermanlives

Veteran
i always wanted to try a wicker like design and weave a chair or something with the stems . my extra also got chopped up and I added some to garden soil,some to compost pile.but pepe got the small ones. fucker topped all my clones one time tho. I miss that little guy. coolass bird

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
I would say definitely save stems and trunks. I have a couple trunks from my SSH grow, first grow actually, and I plan to make a pipe out of it one of these days.

theres a youtube vid of some kids that had a quart sized metal can full of bud twigs, top of the can had a micron screen , they turned it over, shook all or most of the kief off and got about a grams worth' they smoked really well.

was a great vid because they actually said that they ran out of bud, connections weren't answering phones so pretty much a dry situation so needless to say "there was gold in them thar twigs!"

what kind of situations are you guys in that your getting busted for twigs?

Jhhnn

Veteran
I'm not in that situation at all, in Colorado, but that's the way it was decades ago- you could catch a rap for having a bong, or a seed stash, or anything. It's probably still that way in some places.

I don't see any point to keeping stems & fans around when we can legally grow more than we consume. It's now like having a library, a selection from past grows that we can return to & that we can use to evaluate curing & storing methods. We'll see how that holds up after I retire in December, but it shouldn't be an issue. If we run out, we'll just have to resort to buying retail, I guess.

I love it here. I always have. A64 is the finishing touch to a great place to live.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
I've never tried to get any substance from them, but i don't like throwing them away. So, what i do everytime i harvest outdoors is make a fire with the plant's leftovers and cook a big, big steak. Oils help a happy fire and soon you get ashes, just enough time to cook a top chef steak. It's something like spiritual, and i call it a Steak Weedwood.

this is what I do. the only difference is that I use mine to start the fire for my meat smoker. plus its a way of getting rid of the unwanted leftovers.

Also I use to try to make some kief out of it but never got anything worthy.