What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Termites and preventing the little bastards!

rexamus616

Veteran
hi all. on the east coast of oz we also suffer white ants....and they suck. you spend all year lugging buckets of water and digging massive holes, than just as she starts to flower and the stems go woody in come the termites. that's after you have battled roos,rabbits,possums, theifs and pork choppers . this year i found a product at big w called confidor in a tablet form. you put them in the soil, they are taken into the plant via the roots and viola no more termites. well that's the plan anyway.

Nah man, Confidor is a "systemic" insecticide. In other words, It works by going throughout the plant's fluids and tissues, so the creature dies when it feeds on any part of the plant.

So that crap is all through your buds.....

Shouldn't be used on FOOD let alone Medicine!!

"Imidacloprid" is the active ingredient....

And your razor blade technique is terrible.... But i have heard it before....

Saltlife

I use
hi yield
turf termite and ornamental control
6 capsful per gallon of water
Treat one time a month
just put bout half a gallon right at base of stalk
Let it soak in ground

Ive walked up to them and they look bad
just give em a little kick

And completly decapitate it completly into
They love pot plants
be in them and in nothing else around them

Its 2.9 percent bifenthrin i think bifenthrin

S

Sat X RB

Mates .. the plurry termites were a worry for me until I made friends with a professional termite controller.

he supplies me with Termidor. this product can't be purchased without a license. it gets taken up by plants so I only use it to establish an ant-proof barrier AROUND my garden, not IN my garden. Termidor is evil shit but it biodegrades within twelve months.

the only organic control for white ants is to place a tiny bit of Arsenic (if you can get any!) in some food for them (a buried cardboard box filled with pine shavings). the drones take the arsenic to the queen and she dies so the nest dies. (and pls don't anyone say that Arsenic is not organic.)

cheers!

S

Sat X RB

Mates .. the plurry termites were a worry for me until I made friends with a professional termite controller.

he supplies me with Termidor. this product can't be purchased without a license. it gets taken up by plants so I only use it to establish an ant-proof barrier AROUND my garden, not IN my garden. Termidor is evil shit but it biodegrades within twelve months.

the only organic control for white ants is to place a tiny bit of Arsenic (if you can get any!) in some food for them (a buried cardboard box filled with pine shavings). the drones take the arsenic to the queen and she dies so the nest dies. (and pls don't anyone say that Arsenic is not organic.)

cheers!

I been using pigeon pest I buy it from rural stores. Been working for yrs now. All I do is dig a little trench around the perimeter off the patch or plant and pour it in I do this every yr in July and October. This stuff works like a barrier every time it rains it soaks it in too so its win win. No more white ants . before this I had some terrible losses .

rexamus616

Veteran

cheers!

Termidor is 'fipronil'. Same as in 'frontline' for dogs, and apparently what they inject into the stem of bananas (industry standard practice) to kill banana borer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fipronil

Arsenic is naturally occurring, but so are Mercury and Lead. Doesn't mean it doesn't accumulate in the body and make you ill.... Our valley is still toxic in places from gold mining activity years ago.... From naturally occurring Arsenic.

Treat the nest to kill the colony.

This should mean putting the toxic ingredients AWAY from your grow site...

NTLen

good advice

good advice

G'Day mate, we had a few probs with termites some years back and we used Red Cedar Chips in our holes, seemed to work fine. The little fucka's don't like it one bit. Hope this helps you out mate.

BUNDY......:tiphat:

G'day there Bundy, good advice, in my experience I have had 100+ plants doing very well then as they start to turn woody near the end of flowering almost time to harvest period...." BANG "! Termites smashed them... upon my return in 1 weeks time"! 70% laying over on the ground ... upon investigating by a small amount of excavation by hand and by uprooting what was left of 1 individual plant I found thousands of termites, now every 3 weeks prior I was flood irrigating with LORSBAN it would work fine on whatever it came onto contact with but did not have a long term residual effect, so the following year I bought some "TERMIDOR" This stuff is the shit Its easy to use dug a dozen or so holes in a circle around my plot only the size of a coke can put in some soft wood or cardboard which they love and doused it with Termidor at the recommended rate of .4-.8% they came they ate and by coming into contact with this stuff as they travelled back to the nest coming into contact with other termites it quickly transferred onto each other and spread,wiping out the entire colony or colonies that were around, so the following season I had no issues at all I just kept the baits monitored for any activity to which I had none, it is a residual product ... or alternatively by mixing & flooding in a trench 300mm deep around your plot will protect it from invading termites.... usually as summer goes by things dry up so when your plants are the only soft luscious moist things around... ie: because your watering them, subterranean Termites will sniff them out in a heartbeat and travel far as in 200mtrs or more to get a piece of the action... however a properly fortified plot with Termidor will kick their ass, yes I know this is a extra expense to protect your plot but in some cases people don't have any other options outdoors, this stuff is expensive here in Australia and you need a chem cert to buy it or know someone who you can get a litre from will do also.
Anyway hope this helps anyone who is experiencing this issue.
Cheers all the best pple"

Latest posts

Latest posts