What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Aero Cloner the EZ-Cloner Replica in 10 Easy Steps!

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
Try tap water, not distilled. And, the first two things I'd ceck are the Temps & Cleaning Method of the system.

Temps - We're talking about the water temperature here. Make sure your pump isn't heating up the water too much. Larger pumps have a tendancy to do this. Especially if your cloner is small or not used in a cool area.

Cleaning - this seems to be the biggest area for error. I can not stress enough how important it is to be sure everything is kept "spotless". Two areas that most folks forget that allow bacteria to flourish are inside both the PVC pipes and inside the pump itself. I've found that after you clean everything by hand, one of the best ways to clean these areas is to let the system run with a gallon of 3% H2O2 in it for at least an hour.

Lastly, be sure your clones aren't too leafy or getting too much light.

JMHO, but it works for me. PD

:wave:

damakkus

West Coast ICer
Here is my DIY cloner, easy and durable.

It supports 81 cuttings

Let me know if I can be of any assistance

Nickel, I run my pump 24/7

Last edited:
Pipedream said:
Try tap water, not distilled. And, the first two things I'd ceck are the Temps & Cleaning Method of the system.

Temps - We're talking about the water temperature here. Make sure your pump isn't heating up the water too much. Larger pumps have a tendancy to do this. Especially if your cloner is small or not used in a cool area.

Cleaning - this seems to be the biggest area for error. I can not stress enough how important it is to be sure everything is kept "spotless". Two areas that most folks forget that allow bacteria to flourish are inside both the PVC pipes and inside the pump itself. I've found that after you clean everything by hand, one of the best ways to clean these areas is to let the system run with a gallon of 3% H2O2 in it for at least an hour.

Lastly, be sure your clones aren't too leafy or getting too much light.

JMHO, but it works for me. PD

:wave:
I started with tap water last year and then switched to distilled after many failed attempts, I monitor my temps with a aquarium thermometer and they stay around 72F may go up or down a few but always below 75F and above 70F, as fer as cleaning I run Clorox through it about 1/4 cup in the water for about 1hour , then flush with clear water before starting new cuttings. Do you have to clean again while in the middle of trying to get roots or just at the start of every attempt? I also just have a small light (100w CFL) and it is above a shelf that defuses the light so they just get the reflected light from around the shelf. What do you all think? I am using a 400 gph pump in a 5 gallon bucket with 6 ez clone spray heads on a T head 3/4" copper pipe for the sprayers. I'll try to get a picture and post it later.

damakkus

West Coast ICer
Nickel bag your water temp should be up at 80f, I dont feel cleaning is needed unless you are inbetween cycles, I never use any bleach unless absolutely necessary, your 100 w cfl is more than enough for cuttings, and finally I question the copper being in contact with the water. You may wanna look into that, just my 2 cents.

Key to cloning is a lot of dissolved oxygen in the water IMHO

I was wondering what the pH was? I usually have my pH at 6.0

Last edited:
I have a question: How do you transplant the clones with bare roots into something like a 6 in rockwool cube? I dont want to clone in rw anymore but I dont see how I can just stick a stem and bare roots into a cube.

damakkus

West Coast ICer
I take the 2" net pot and cut off the net once it roots I cut a 2" cube in half then take that and put it in a 4" cube

Last edited:
G

The way I do it and it's very easy. Just plain old tap water. I don't adjust ph or add anything to the rez tank water. Just get some fresh water from the tap. Fill the rez tank up and about 7-10 days, BAM!!! Two things I like to do. Let my water sit over night. I let the chlorine evaporate out of the water over the night. I like to use new clean 5 gallon pails. I normal have a few ready to go and line about 5 or more along a wall. Always good to have water on hand. The other thing I like to watch. Is the heat from the pump, but with my setup. The Rio pump i use for the amount of water in my rez tank is just right, but I keep an eye on it. This is a old picture, but you get the point.

I'll be growing here shortly and will post a link to a bunch of these units I'm going to be building here in the next few month. Going to be building about 4 units that will hold 50-70 cuts per.
Take care,
BG

damakkus

West Coast ICer
GoldDustWomen, you and I do it just about the same.

Would love to burn a phatty with you one of these days.

G

damakkus said:
GoldDustWomen, you and I do it just about the same.

Would love to burn a phatty with you one of these days.

I find this the easiest way and with great results. Keep it simple and roots will follow. The main thing with these units and the high dollar units like. EZ Cloner's. Is the water temp. If it's to hot, then your going to get rot and musy stems. Just like the large 120 site EZ Cloner unit or was it the middle sized unit. Well, which ever one. The pump was a little to large and heated the water up to much and caused issue. If you keep an eye on the temp. Everyone should do very well.

Oh, once I have roots that are doing well. I start to cycle the sprayer's some. I put a digital timer and do a off/on cycle till I get them transplanted. I usally transplant to either larger net pots or some 5.25" square pots. I hope this helps anyone with their unit or thinking about building one.

If i got time and I'm not to busy. I'll do a thread on some new units. I've got to build like four units to handle some higher number of cuts. I'll give a good step by step and some date like water temp over a amounted time the unit has ran. These units do work pretty well. Take care all and have a nice week.
Later,
BG

PS, always up for a good fatty.
:headbange

damakkus

West Coast ICer
GDW, I clone maintaining 80f temp. By doing this, it reduces the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water which is key to cloning IMHO. The water temp controls the dissolved oxygen so it is critical to put the used dissolved oxygen back at 80f. If not you will have bad results.

What water temp do you use?

But honestly, I have learned there are many ways to do things. I am just sharing what works well for me. And what works well for me may not work well for others as everyones situation is different.

G

damakkus said:
GDW, I clone maintaining 80f temp. By doing this, it reduces the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water which is key to cloning IMHO. The water temp controls the dissolved oxygen so it is critical to put the used dissolved oxygen back at 80f. If not you will have bad results.

What water temp do you use?

But honestly, I have learned there are many ways to do things. I am just sharing what works well for me. And what works well for me may not work well for others as everyones situation is different.

I really don't know what the temperature was. I'll post what I'm running, once I get going again. I do know, it was cool by the touch of my hand. Never warm, and never cold. Just a cool/room temp, maybe. lolol Been so long, so I can't really say. I'll make sure to post some results. Once I get going again. MY meter reads temperatures also, so I can give a good reading.

You right about things working different for others. As long as members get roots and healthy cuts. It doesn't matter how they get them. As long as they get them. Very good thread and glad to see so many sharing info.
Take care,
BG

damakkus

West Coast ICer
Right on GDW

I am with you, just want to get people cloning that are having troubles.

I built this thing cause I had trouble cloning with the cubes, well they were SLOW and you can not see how the stem is doing. Now, I do not even question if it will root or not.

I too will be building a smaller version of what I have as I do not need this large of capacity any longer as the laws have changed. When I build it I will post up. I am in the middle of moving type thing and had to shut my grow down for a minute so give me a little time.

But for now I am here to help those that need it.

Also peeps should know that things can change fast in a small body of water.

The system I have built runs on just 2 gallons of water, the more I spread this body of water out for surface to oxygen exchange the better. Also since the body of water is so small that ambient air really affects the temp so I have an aquarium heater to maintain the 80f.

G

It's nice to share info and see others learn and do well. I always feel good when someone says I really helped them out. Nice to see so many others helping out. I remember when I was cloning in cubes. Boy, was that super hard back then.

Now, in 7-10 days. I've got some killer roots and clones. No question at all, just nice roots. Well, nice to see so many sharing.
Take care,
BG

gmanwho

Veteran
Coco cloning

Coco cloning

GDW, not to get of the aerocloner subject, but cloning just the same. COCO, soooooo easy, about 10 days and the roots are ssearching thru the container drain holes. No rooting hormone. Very easy, no dome. wet once, maybe twice, done. No heat generated by the pumps, no electricity consumed other then light. And maybe a mat to keep temps at 70 ish +.

GDW, are you attending the cup this year? I'm thinking about attending myself, still waiting on a buddy to tag along.

The aerocloner works great, proper coverage is one key element IMO.

B-safe all

Last edited:
G

gmanwho said:
GDW, not to get of the aerocloner subject, but cloning just the same. COCO, soooooo easy, about 10 days and the roots are ssearching thru the container drain holes. No rooting hormone. Very easy, no dome. wet once, maybe twice, done. No heat generated by the pumps, no electricity consumed other then light. And maybe a mat to keep temps at 70 ish +.

GDW, are you attending the cup this year? I'm thinking about attending myself, still waiting on a buddy to tag along.

The aerocloner works great, proper coverage is one key element IMO.

B-safe all

It's all good and I'm open to any idea that works. That's what we are here for. As for the April cup. Don't know just yet. Got a bunch of things in the works and don't know for sure. If I will make it or not. Another reason, is that the long it take to say. Yes or No, about if the event is going to be held. This plays a major roll. Since I will be flying out of the west coast. Tickets aren't cheap, since I will have to fly across country and then oversea's. Will see, not writing it off. I sure do want to go, just got to see if a bunch of things line up.
Take care,
BG

slater

i fianally got to build one of these today and it come out awesome. i made a couple mistakes, like i wante dto make a 30 site and it turned out to a 25 spot due to counting err....also sliced my fingers a couple times...once pretty dang bad....thanks this ios an awesome thread and i cant wait to try it out on my saliva plants.