What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning in coco. If you dont know, your missing out.

TheHoppyPepper

OP read my mind, i just went shopping for rockwool the first time in 6 years, and came home with 5 72 cell wedge inserts instead. I use aero to coco already, but now i have a club that will take a tray a day so.. I need to be versatile. Thinking of going and trying it straight up in squared solo cups too, i already transplant into them

TheHoppyPepper

Plus i use a separate clone box for each mom, i don't wanna spread contams, this allows me to take a backup of each strain that isn't big enough to fill a box yet

1/4 nute strength for cloning is a no-no from my reading and experience. AFTER they show roots, then maybe but without roots u killin em.

if u tryin to clone with .9 ec or even 1/4 strength nutes, good luck tryin to root clones. you don't feed till roots show, right?! smurfs lil cal/mag and lil rapid start and lil humics will be much less than .9 ec. that's 450ppm..too hot it seems w/o roots

Lipe

nice clone setup smurf :)

if u tryin to clone with .9 ec or even 1/4 strength nutes, good luck tryin to root clones. you don't feed till roots show, right?! smurfs lil cal/mag and lil rapid start and lil humics will be much less than .9 ec. that's 450ppm..too hot it seems w/o roots

here i clone using gh base nutes...
I soak the coco in a solution of 400ppm (tap water ~115ppm included)
I use a root gel and plant the clone.
on the next 4 or 5 days i give only ph'd water when is needed..
then i go again with the 400ppm feed (still no roots showing)
at day 15 they look like this:
but in 10-12 days they are already good to go

idk the science behind this :biggrin:
a friend taught me and it works hehe :tiphat:

also I think the method presented by smurf should work far better :)

So smurf if u just poor .9 ec at 5.8 ph through some rinsed coco in a beer (solo) cup to set the cation bank..and then slide clone into the coco and dome it....That should be it til the clone drinks eats enough to dry the coco out some?
I lazily tried once but it stayed over watered for some reason...I only fed it 1 time after I put it in the coco..but that 1 time was too much..yellow ass tops.

I was told .9ec lil hot for cuts

I don't know why but i have had horrible success trying to clone in coco and in an aerocloner. Do you think its related to the fact that I live in a desert region with low humidity (aka 10-35%). I haven't been using any humidity domes ever but struggle like no other.

Lipe

if you live in the desert a dome is required imo...:biggrin: at least for the first days...and keep the coco always wet

I was told .9ec lil hot for cuts
i was wondering maybe that is no difference at all givin nutes or just water the first days... cause there is no roots to absorve that but idk ..root gel does help.
i think there is no problem if you fed them like seedlings for example
:tiphat:

siegoldie

I've been doing the same straight coco for years and get 100% rooted clones with no rooting gel or powder , depending on temps i can have roots after 5 days and the full tray all rooted by day 9

hazyfontazy

Veteran

thats bollox ,,i've rooted 1000's of clones using rockwool @ec1 and ph5.8

and the same ratio in straight coco ..1000's of them