What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3 Way SbS, Amazon Bloom, Black Gold, and Ocean Forest Soils

S

SooperSmurph

Aeration and Drainage are not optional.

Each brand of soil was brought to a minimum standard of aeration (approx 25% perlite).

Why do some people seem to think killing plants off with unsuitable mixes is an "experiment" while giving an existing mix its only needed component (aeration) somehow makes the study into something less?

Not sure what you're trying to prove, or why, but you're free to grow in Amazon Bloom sans perlite all you'd like, I wouldn't try to stop you :)
Bigger concern for me is the apparently false assertion in the first post that Fox Farms has been bought by the devil.
No matter how much digging I do online, the only "evidence" of the buyout remains the testimony of former employees and industry players, so yes, at this point it's looking like this rumor is false.

dorje

Afraid I have to agree with Marcos. I'm using Amazon straight out of the bag in my present run and have had absolutely no problems with drainage. Compared to roots soil in a side by side last year the amazon won hands down.

S

SooperSmurph

And I wish you both luck in growing without aeration amendments in your soil, but nothing is ever going to make me subject plants to such a swampy fate.

Thanks for stopping by, though.

Rolldaddy

Great SBS Supersmurf.

I've been using fafard mix 3 for years which is different mix than you useed here and it works great. 25 percent perlite 75 peat without nutes. That way it easy to control what the plants feeds on, great drainage and the roots get plenty of oxygen

DabSnob

awesome results and findings here Sooper!

I recently did a SBS of Roots organics soils/U] Formula 707 vs. Greenfields vs. original. im new to this forum, i didnt know they had a SBS thread... i dont want to run the experiment again but i will do a FFOF vs. Roots Greenfields vs. Black Gold. these are the soils they carry at my hydro shop. I was also going to add Soilreef BioChar at 10% by volume to each soil and do another comparison between those results also.

Mr Roboto

I agree that the test should somewhat be inclusive and that the soils should be unaltered but why flame the thread? I still think this was an excellent write up and he oviously did it to provide a little more info for all of us farmers!
With that said it would be cool to see a grow from start to finish just using soil and ph'd water and see the end results....I guess I will have to do that one day

B

BredForMeds

I think this test was great.. but I really wish the buds were lab tested.. cuz the grower is a great grower.. so it don't matter the buds are coming out great either way.. but .. the soil mite give some extra push for a certain cannabinoids .. or extra thc. or different ratios..

I was using FFOF. but I see better results with promix and a good nute supply.

Buddle

Veteran
I really appreciate the time you put into this thread. I like a lot of aeration in my soil too. Black gold wasn't available in the shops I frequent until the last yr or so.You've inspired me to try it..Much thx for all your time!!

S

SooperSmurph

I think this test was great.. but I really wish the buds were lab tested.. cuz the grower is a great grower.. so it don't matter the buds are coming out great either way.. but .. the soil mite give some extra push for a certain cannabinoids .. or extra thc. or different ratios..

I was using FFOF. but I see better results with promix and a good nute supply.
At the time of the grow, lab testing was not available in a reliable fashion, so a "smoke" test had to suffice, I apolgize.

Please rest assured these were seasoned smokers, dealers, musicians, rappers, etc.
I agree that the test should somewhat be inclusive and that the soils should be unaltered but why flame the thread? I still think this was an excellent write up and he oviously did it to provide a little more info for all of us farmers!
With that said it would be cool to see a grow from start to finish just using soil and ph'd water and see the end results....I guess I will have to do that one day
I repeat, if the soils were unaltered, how would that have been fair to the Amazon Bloom, which has no aeration component at all?

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Awesome thread, +K thank you. Confirms my thoughts about black gold.

I kinda discovered black gold by accident a few years ago. I borrowed some potting soil from a neighbor and it happened to be black gold, the plants simply love it.

I was impressed from the start, with a granular myco + compost tea. Some of the quickest rooting i've seen from clones from rockwool cubes. I've been using it for a few years now, lightly ammended with compost+EWC+pearlite. Good stuff!.