Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > IC Magazine > Website Support > Better image quality on icmag ?

Thread Title Search
Click for RX Green Solutions
Better image quality on icmag ? Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2017, 10:53 PM #1
PaulieWaulie

PaulieWaulie will become famous soon enoughPaulieWaulie will become famous soon enough
Better image quality on icmag ?

I have seen some posts on here where users include really nice quality images. But with my posts and pictures no matter the quality on my computer it scales it down and looks like garbage once posted.
Sharing our grows is all about the pictures and I want to have them be high quality and enjoyable showing the beauty of each shot.
rollitup.com seems to have better quality pictures on threads posted. I would prefer to post on here though, anyone have any input on this ?

Scotts OG & Agent Orange
2,400W HPS
Pro Mix/Pure Blend Pro

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=343221
PaulieWaulie is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:39 PM #2
Payaso
Eyes Wide Open!

Payaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivor
The way I do it is to upload images to my albums here on ICMag...

Then I view the image. I right-click on the image and copy the image location, and then using the add image icon above, paste that into the post I am writing about at the moment, and there it is, filling the space, looking good!

And there it is...

Old 07-28-2017, 11:41 PM #3
Payaso
Eyes Wide Open!

Payaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivor
But then again, a picture is only going to be as good as the photographer can make it.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:15 AM #4
mushroombrew

mushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nicemushroombrew is just really nice
I resize images to 800x800 @150 dpi. Or make the longest side 800 (i.e.800x600)

Upload. Then insert image from album. Uploads are quick and the quality is great.

Try something different.

But yeah Payaso said it best above!
mushroombrew is offline Quote

Old 07-30-2017, 04:34 PM #5
Natural high

Natural high is a jewel in the roughNatural high is a jewel in the roughNatural high is a jewel in the roughNatural high is a jewel in the roughNatural high is a jewel in the roughNatural high is a jewel in the roughNatural high is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payaso View Post
The way I do it is to upload images to my albums here on ICMag...

Then I view the image. I right-click on the image and copy the image location, and then using the add image icon above, paste that into the post I am writing about at the moment, and there it is, filling the space, looking good!
Hi Payaso,

I have an issue with the whole process of uploading photos and agree with PaulieWaulie that it could be much better. For example, the image below is straight from the ICMag Member and Supporter Benefits page which clearly states that a "member" has a image file size limit of 150Kb

Yet when I go to upload some pictures it only allows the file size to be 117.2K ! - see image below.

If I try to upload images at just under 150Kb it downgrades their image quality significantly to conform with this 117.2Kb limit. Why are these two limits contradictory to each other and which is the correct one??

Thanks
Natural high is online now Quote

Old 07-30-2017, 04:42 PM #6
GMT
I am, therefore I think

GMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud of
Its an attempt to reduce bandwidth to reduce the cost of others looking at your pictures. You can pay and have the Max size increased, but unless you are selling seeds here, most don't.
Other sites can swallow those costs a little easier because there's only a hand full of views compared to this site.
GMT is offline Quote

Old 07-30-2017, 04:53 PM #7
Natural high

Natural high is a jewel in the roughNatural high is a jewel in the roughNatural high is a jewel in the roughNatural high is a jewel in the roughNatural high is a jewel in the roughNatural high is a jewel in the roughNatural high is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the answer GMT.. but it still doesn't tell me why my actual limit is less than the official limit. Furthermore, when I was a sub-50 post "New member" my file size limit was actually 146.5Kb so it's gone down since!

Old 07-30-2017, 05:01 PM #8
GMT
I am, therefore I think

GMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud of
Oh, er, isn't there a difference in file limits depending on if you upload into your album, or directly into the post? I'm sure there was also a diff for file extensions ie jpg BMP etc. Going on memory though so prob not.

Sorry, no, I just checked, I'm on 117.2k too
GMT is offline Quote

Old 07-30-2017, 05:15 PM #9
Natural high

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
Sorry, no, I just checked, I'm on 117.2k too
Thanks, so at least I know it's not just me then. It seems something last century is going on here at icmag

Old 07-30-2017, 09:37 PM #10
PaulieWaulie

PaulieWaulie will become famous soon enoughPaulieWaulie will become famous soon enough
Shouldn't Ads on here pay for the costs of running the site? High Volume = High Ad Views = High Revenue. Additionally any money should be coming from vendors using this platform to generate income. I just don't think shrinking pictures to low resolutions is the answer here. Plus Im still not sure that all pictures get auto reduced. There are some people here posting beautiful big pictures. I will try the method that you guys described.

I usually go to manage attachments, then upload, and then add pictures I think and click from there after selecting full view picture or something like that.

I guess if i add them to my photo album first, it will maybe upload in higher resolution and then I can add pictures from my photo album directly and it will retain quality.

Either way I love this site, but also feel that its pretty outdated and could use an overhaul. The scene is blowing up, I think sites should along with it no ?

either way I love it here and will continue posting and reading everyday. still new so lots to learn with the features

Scotts OG & Agent Orange
2,400W HPS
Pro Mix/Pure Blend Pro

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=343221
PaulieWaulie is offline Quote