Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > LED Grow Lights > Lap Does LEDs - My DIY Quantum Board Cabinet

Thread Title Search
Visit Sensi Seeds For all your Genetic Needs!
Lap Does LEDs - My DIY Quantum Board Cabinet Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2017, 03:58 PM #1
Lapides
Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler

Lapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant future
Lap Does LEDs - My DIY Quantum Board Cabinet

Hey everyone, it's great to get another thread going. I was forced to take a little break from growing (again!) and as a result I've downsized temporarily.

I built a 4x1.5x4ft cabinet. It's still a little rough and unfinished.

I'll be lighting it up with a DIY Quantum Board style setup. I honestly had NO IDEA these things would be so bright. I was chomping at the bit to see how bright they are, so I wired them up and plugged them in and was instantly blinded.

Miller High Life for proof of my downsizing

I got 6x4ft strips and they will be mounted on 1in wide heatsinks once my thermal paste come from China. It's the only thing I'm waiting on, grr...

Mounted the heatsinks onto aluminum C channel. The drill was a little slidey, but the heatsinks are parallel and evenly spaced.

I havent used a pop rivet gun since middle school.

I'm running these at 73% of their rated max with a 320 watt, 1.75 amp driver. Even unmounted, the diodes are warm, definitely not hot, I can keep my fingers directly on them without it hurting.

At this configuration, the power draw is just under 260 watts. I'm getting over 160 lumens per watt for a total of 41595 lumens. This is taking into account the 94% electrical efficiency of my driver.

Going forward, I'll be buying these diodes on a tape and reel rather than premounted on these strips. Going the tape and reel route, I can get these for about $0.12 per diode, maybe even cheaper from alibaba.

Total cost for the light was less than $300.

I'll be growing 2 different phenos of Island Sweet Skunk with lots of worms and recycled soil.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Stay tuned, much more fun to come!

Recycling Dirt Is Ridiculously Easy

The LEDs That Are Changing the Game
You can't stop me. I'm like a weed. I might disappear for a moment or two, but I will pop up somewhere else and will never stop growing.

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Lapides is offline Quote

11 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:19 PM #2
milo_xxx
Stress Tester/Plant Torturer

milo_xxx has a brilliant futuremilo_xxx has a brilliant futuremilo_xxx has a brilliant futuremilo_xxx has a brilliant futuremilo_xxx has a brilliant futuremilo_xxx has a brilliant futuremilo_xxx has a brilliant futuremilo_xxx has a brilliant futuremilo_xxx has a brilliant futuremilo_xxx has a brilliant futuremilo_xxx has a brilliant future
Subbbbbbbbbed.

This is a direction I have been going as well... I just have a couple UFOs though ....
milo_xxx is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:39 PM #3
KONY

KONY is a splendid one to beholdKONY is a splendid one to beholdKONY is a splendid one to beholdKONY is a splendid one to beholdKONY is a splendid one to beholdKONY is a splendid one to beholdKONY is a splendid one to beholdKONY is a splendid one to beholdKONY is a splendid one to beholdKONY is a splendid one to beholdKONY is a splendid one to behold
Pullin up a chair.
KONY is offline Quote

Old 06-03-2017, 04:41 PM #4
Siskiyou

Siskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of lightSiskiyou is a glorious beacon of light
Sweet. Subbed for sure.

Seeds, Soil and 16 Square Feet
Siskiyou is offline Quote

Old 06-05-2017, 05:50 AM #5
Phases

Phases is a jewel in the roughPhases is a jewel in the roughPhases is a jewel in the roughPhases is a jewel in the roughPhases is a jewel in the roughPhases is a jewel in the roughPhases is a jewel in the roughPhases is a jewel in the rough
Good to see you are back at it Lap.

Pulling up a seat!

ICE & Skunk Special - Test Grow (Current Journal)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=344134
Phases is offline Quote

Old 06-06-2017, 02:31 PM #6
heady blunts
prescription blunts

heady blunts has a brilliant futureheady blunts has a brilliant futureheady blunts has a brilliant futureheady blunts has a brilliant futureheady blunts has a brilliant futureheady blunts has a brilliant futureheady blunts has a brilliant futureheady blunts has a brilliant futureheady blunts has a brilliant futureheady blunts has a brilliant futureheady blunts has a brilliant future

<3.F.U.C.K.E.M.F.A.M.<3
heady blunts is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:43 PM #7
ReikoX
Knight of the BlackSvn

ReikoX is a splendid one to beholdReikoX is a splendid one to beholdReikoX is a splendid one to beholdReikoX is a splendid one to beholdReikoX is a splendid one to beholdReikoX is a splendid one to beholdReikoX is a splendid one to beholdReikoX is a splendid one to beholdReikoX is a splendid one to beholdReikoX is a splendid one to beholdReikoX is a splendid one to behold
Can't wait to see what these babies can do! Are those heatsinks the 1" profile from heatsinkusa?
ReikoX is offline Quote

Old 06-06-2017, 09:59 PM #8
Lapides
Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler

Lapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReikoX View Post
Can't wait to see what these babies can do! Are those heatsinks the 1" profile from heatsinkusa?
Yeah man, that's what they are. They're pretty cheap too. These lights run so cool though so going forward I think I'll save a couple bucks and just mount them on aluminum channel.

I'm still waiting on thermal paste. I wish I had just gone with the LEDs on the tape and be done with it.

Thanks for stopping by everyone. I'll update just as soon as my paste comes!

Recycling Dirt Is Ridiculously Easy

The LEDs That Are Changing the Game
You can't stop me. I'm like a weed. I might disappear for a moment or two, but I will pop up somewhere else and will never stop growing.

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Lapides is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:46 AM #9
Phychotron

Phychotron is a jewel in the roughPhychotron is a jewel in the roughPhychotron is a jewel in the roughPhychotron is a jewel in the roughPhychotron is a jewel in the roughPhychotron is a jewel in the roughPhychotron is a jewel in the rough
If you go with a tape/reel won't you have to come up with some sort of circuit board to isolate them from the heat sink?

My latest Grapegod growlog (fall 2014)
Phychotron is offline Quote

Old 06-07-2017, 06:27 AM #10
who dat is
Cave Dweller

who dat is has a reputation beyond reputewho dat is has a reputation beyond reputewho dat is has a reputation beyond reputewho dat is has a reputation beyond reputewho dat is has a reputation beyond reputewho dat is has a reputation beyond reputewho dat is has a reputation beyond reputewho dat is has a reputation beyond reputewho dat is has a reputation beyond reputewho dat is has a reputation beyond reputewho dat is has a reputation beyond repute
who dat is has completed 16 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports

Instagram @whodatisco
Who grows Glue better than you. (current)
who dat is is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.