What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chaos Erupts as Nevada County CA Passes Grow Limits

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Almost all California Towns are against 42o.... When it comes right down to it.

It ain;t Shangri-La, Bruddah.

UnknownProphet

???do?Pu?ou?uU
Veteran
It's truely sad that many politians and lobbyists are clinging to an old America that has obviously not been working.

What they are failing to understand; or more than likely just not giving a shit about is the growing black-market value because of these crackdowns.

I think in time (hopefully) things will change and common sense will reign supreme, but for now it seems to be a continued idoitcracy.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
From the article about the Fresno County Pot Crack Down;

"Fresno County Sheriff’s Department Sergeant Gregg Collins, ..."

“They can no longer hide behind the shield of the medical marijuana law. The President sent his scientists out and determined that it is a ‘schedule one” drug which has no medicinal value. They have no reason to possess it, whether it’s heroine or marijuana,” Collins said.

Well that pretty much sums up their attitude; that cannabis is a drug just like heroin and there will never be a legitimate use for it, we won't allow it, irregardless of what the voters of the state have decided.

The guy is an ignoranus.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
its absolute BULLSHIT that real estate values are down because of marijuana growers....

in fact its the other way around...certain property values are only as high as they are BECAUSE of marijuana growers...if there wasnt any money in growing pot, most mountain property would only be worth 100k, but a 20 acre plot with a nice clearing, well, house, outhouses, etc in mendo/humboldt or grass valley is gonna run you damn near half a million dollars...because it could make the owner a half million dollars if done right...

the marijuana market is the only thing propping up many of these counties..

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the smaller counties will be ghost towns if there made to go back into the black market

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fuck em, grow big anyways

Fuck-The-Police.jpg

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
the first/real Squaw Valley is in eastern fresno county according to the local Yokut's and Mono's-Native Americans........the one near Truckee was brought about for Olympic's yr's ago.......

ganj on.................

Mia

Squaw valley is just the name of the resort. It is located in Olympic Valley.
One of my favorite places.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
its absolute BULLSHIT that real estate values are down because of marijuana growers....

the marijuana market is the only thing propping up many of these counties..

So true, in the Triangle... Such as it is..

People moving out to the area from other states helps support high RE prices. Handed down Properties keep many families going. Must be nice. The remainder only have what they have.

There are RE agents who cater to the growers primarily - I am sure they are thriving. Many people come out with pockets full of cash and follow their dream of growing Medicine. Most do not succeed on any level. Some do.

The End of the 'Glory Days' for this area is what is happening now. Many are packing. As well as new people arriving, with their shiny new money. Other People lining up to access the funds.

Authorities are very aware of the fact that there is really no Local Commerce without 42o money. \

Local Retail is in the doldrums in a good year, new car sales, etc.,

Basically everything except Grow stores, Pot Brokers and Real Estate Agents (who often run for local office) are dead horses financially.

Except for what 42o money buys..

Things are not at all what they used to be regardless. All Things DO change.. That's the lesson obviously.

The question in my mind is: Will eventual Legalization bring on increased demand for Hi-Q product..?

Keep fighting the Good Fight...!!! Whatever you perceive that to be..

S

SeaMaiden

Not everyone. I spent Tuesday with a friend in GV, he's dispersing his garden and moving to El Dorado county, keeping a much lower profile. He wants to be completely off the radar, and I can't blame him.

S

SeaMaiden

I personally haven't read anything about that, but they've been at least discussing limits, and I've been under the impression that they do have OD cultivation limits at this time. Something like 100'sq...?

pip313

I view 200 outdoor plants in a field as an abuse of the medical law. I know alot of you won't like reading this but no one needs a hundred pounds of weed a year. 5.7 pounds is a quarter ounce a day and thats a lot of chronic plus all the hash. You make it hard for people like me who are really sick to get respect because non smokers think of you assholes growing fields. The Feds are pricks but shit would be better if medical patients were required to grow thier own and be limited to indoor and a reasonable plant count. IT IS THESE FIELDS THAT ARE HURTING US

And now the flamming starts by those that sell thier medicine to non patients and cannabis dispenceries that have 90% healthy people as customers.

S

SeaMaiden

I view 200 outdoor plants in a field as an abuse of the medical law.
Indeed, as do those who simply don't like marijuana or those who use it. However, how do you or they know, factually, what's happening with that 'field' of cannabis? Sure, there is lots of speculation and conjecture, but in the end, unless you're actually 'in' on it, you can't state unequivocally that you know what's happening to it.

Then there's the offensive notion that you present, the concept that you or anyone else can tell me or anyone else how much is sufficient for their needs. That's what I personally find offensive.
I know alot of you won't like reading this but no one needs a hundred pounds of weed a year. 5.7 pounds is a quarter ounce a day and thats a lot of chronic plus all the hash. You make it hard for people like me who are really sick to get respect because non smokers think of you assholes growing fields.
So, according to you, anyone who's growing for a collective is an asshole because they're growing at a large scale for those who, for whatever reasons, cannot or are not growing their own. Do I have that right?

Is illness the only valid reason for MMJ in your view as well, or can chronic pain be an allowable condition as well? I'm curious about that.

The Feds are pricks but shit would be better if medical patients were required to grow thier own and be limited to indoor and a reasonable plant count. IT IS THESE FIELDS THAT ARE HURTING US
WHAT ABOUT THOSE WHO CANNOT GROW THEIR OWN? Shit outta luck? Black market is where they'll go. Then what?
And now the flamming starts by those that sell thier medicine to non patients and cannabis dispenceries that have 90% healthy people as customers.
No to both assertions. I will tell you that your words are offensive because I've been on both sides of the equation. Last year I was not able to easily grow for myself, and could only get a crop due to the extensive help of others. I know, or KNEW, because now they're dead, others who could not grow their own because they were straight up too sick, could hardly get out of bed let alone tend plants on a daily basis, and that's just the growing side of it.

What you're doing is completely impugning any and all collective cultivation scenarios, and I know too many people who are doing it right, who are providing to those who would otherwise have to go entirely without OR use the black market to simply allow your accusations to stand without rebuttal. The idea that just because someone is growing a large number of plants ONLY because they're ultimately selling to the black market is simply offensive.

The idea that they're making those who have real illness or injury/pain and need to be less legitimate is also offensive, but that's not happening because of large grows. It's happening because people jump to conclusions, and yes, there *is* abuse of the recommendation system that we have here in the state.

Why should we be relegated to indoor-only growing? What about those who simply cannot afford it, from setting up the space to paying for the power? Do you pay PG&E rates, perchance (or are you one of those who's blowing it up indoors while getting CARE rates from PG&E or whatever power company serves you)? There is no good logical basis for that assertion other than your myopic view that everyone should be able to do and use as you do and use. That's just wrong, how dare you?

And while I still have not yet set foot in a dispensary, I know plenty of people who use them, and not a one of them is considered to be anything resembling completely healthy. Some have mental health issues, some have physical issues, but NONE of them are perfectly healthy.

That is not to say that I personally don't condone recreational use, because I absolutely do condone it. I used it recreationally for years. Then I was injured, and a friend who was suffering yet another bout with cancer told me that it would help with my pain. I didn't believe him, but did what he suggested--stopped using entirely for a month. He was right! It did help, a great deal, with the pain. Does that mean that now that I use it medically that I no longer like getting high? Of course not.

Please, don't paint me or anyone else with such a broad brush unless you yourself wish to be painted thus.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think that you both have valid points. The biggest problem that I see with large outdoor grows is where they are sited and how the issues with the neighbors are handled. Obviously there are people who are incapable of growing their own, whether it be from the state of their health or their living situation, and they should have access. However, large outdoor grows in residential areas, or even in areas with small-acreage parcels, do nothing for our image with the straight community. We may like the smell of the plants as they mature, but many people don't. It is an extremely valuable crop and brings all of the attendant problems with security, theft, supplemental lighting, etc, etc.

I don't know the best answer, and haven't run across what I consider to be the most reasonable solution. I don't think that limiting large grows to zoned farmland is necessarily the answer, but the way that we are currently doing things is seriously alienating the straight population, and they vote in far larger numbers than we do. As we are seeing all over California, thumbing our nose at them because we currently have the legal high ground is only resulting in seriously limiting or removing our rights to cultivate.

S

SeaMaiden

I think that you both have valid points. The biggest problem that I see with large outdoor grows is where they are sited and how the issues with the neighbors are handled. Obviously there are people who are incapable of growing their own, whether it be from the state of their health or their living situation, and they should have access. However, large outdoor grows in residential areas, or even in areas with small-acreage parcels, do nothing for our image with the straight community. We may like the smell of the plants as they mature, but many people don't. It is an extremely valuable crop and brings all of the attendant problems with security, theft, supplemental lighting, etc, etc.

I don't know the best answer, and haven't run across what I consider to be the most reasonable solution. I don't think that limiting large grows to zoned farmland is necessarily the answer, but the way that we are currently doing things is seriously alienating the straight population, and they vote in far larger numbers than we do. As we are seeing all over California, thumbing our nose at them because we currently have the legal high ground is only resulting in seriously limiting or removing our rights to cultivate.
It's happening in all the medical states, not just California. And go ag zoned? Not if this is any indicator of what's to come.

http://www.fresnobee.com/2012/05/22/2847091/tulare-county-sues-five-pot-growers.html

Tulare County announced Tuesday that it is suing five people in a medical marijuana collective for growing pot in the wrong location.

The lawsuit, filed Monday in Tulare County Superior Court, states they are violating the county's land use ordinance by growing marijuana in a rural area near Cutler in northern Tulare County zoned exclusively for agriculture. Under the county's ordinance, medical marijuana collectives and cooperatives must operate in a commercial or manufacturing zone.

California law allows people with medical marijuana recommendations from a doctor to grow marijuana for their personal needs, but the county's ordinance regulates the practice by saying that collectives must grow plants "within a secure, locked, and fully enclosed structure."

Too many murders, attempted murders and home invasion robberies have taken place in Tulare County in recent months because of disputes involving medical marijuana, putting the public in danger, according to officials.

Eight homicides linked to marijuana growing happened in the county from October 2010 to October 2011, and three attempted murders occurred since September 2011, according to the county.

"The biggest complaint we have from our constituents is they do not feel safe around these marijuana grows," Board of Supervisors Chairman Allen Ishida said. "People don't feel safe when bullets are flying."

The owner of the one-acre property at 38757 Road 140 near Cutler is Mario Baltazar, according to county assessor records. Baltazar is named in the lawsuit; attempts to reach him for comment Tuesday were unsuccessful. Also named are Dion Baltazar, Sotero Ibarra Salgado, Ana Ysabel Raygoza-Mayorga and Horacio Raygoza.

The lawsuit states that the county sent them letters telling them to stop growing marijuana but the letters were ignored.

This is not the first time Tulare County has sued medical marijuana growers. In 2009, the county sued Foothill Growers Association for growing marijuana in a building on agricultural property near Ivanhoe and cited the same ordinance. The collective put up a court fight but lost.