What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is this mold or trichromes? pics

SweetJ138

I bought a gram from a dispensary today. It doesn't have a very potent smell to it, and when i ground it up, and loaped it, i found some hairy white stuff on some of the stem pieces and buds that look an awful lot like mold. I attached 2 photos to show what i am talking about. what do you all think? I did smoke some through a water bong and it didn't make me cough or anything. I don't really want to smoke the rest if that is indeed mold. thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 20181119_110050.jpg
    20181119_110050.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20181119_105916.jpg
    20181119_105916.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 19
Pics still aren't enough magnification imo to verify if mold or not. Need to be able to see hyphae and fruiting bodies, not sure if that's just stem trichome or not along the stem.

SweetJ138

i'm having a hard time getting my phone and loap to focus.
one more try... appreciate your help :)

Attachments

• 20181119_134505.jpg
    20181119_134505.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20181119_134502.jpg
    20181119_134502.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20181119_134452.jpg
    20181119_134452.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20181119_134458.jpg
    20181119_134458.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20181119_134435.jpg
    20181119_134435.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 14

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
Smoking mold has always made me cough.
No matter if I smoke it in a pipe, bong, chillum, water bong or whatever, and even in my vape.

That said. It looks like mold to me….

P

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
try this

try this

You will need a magnifier loop! Take a small piece of the suspected mold part, and put it in a few drops of water. It has to be something you can see through clearly. Then place a small piece of the known trichome from the same plant in a different glass of
a few drops of water. Let them soak then check back and compare! Trichomes are not water soluble and will stay the same. The mold will change in texture.

SweetJ138

I ended up finishing the gram anyway :biggrin:

No excess coughing, seemed smooth, maybe just old and lost some terps.

The thing about this, is that it was the first gram i bought from a place that is advertising themselves as the first "fully state licensed" dispensary in town. This is High Life Farms Chemdog, which according to the store, tested at 35.02% thc.

If thats mold on a "State approved" bud, it would be kinda funny eh?

Dog Star

Veteran
Sometimes some mold can develop... take a tip of scissors and scratch gently
over it and look does material under moldy part goes to mush or crumble too easy..

am haved last ciclus on few buds but so slightly developed that it didnt destroy
any tissue and it didnt become mushy,decomposed.. so i dryed them and smoke
those ones but only cause decomposition didnt progress and they haved just
started to show white fuzzy parts like on your pics.. hard to get if that is mold or resin glands..

am scratched this with tip of scissors and i smoke them,dont even sees difference
to non-affected buds..

but if i sees they crumble or material dont look green any more under slight mold i will definitly avoid them..

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I'm in MI btw... we just voted to legalize rec weed.

No shortage of moldy buds in MI. I here some people have storage units of mold and mildew and bugs just waiting to process it into something.

Yum.

Grow your own is the easiest way to know what is on your herb.

SweetJ138

That sucks to read, but kinda confirms suspicions i have had.

i'm working on a small set up now, hope to be up and running in the next month or so.

Muleskinner

Veteran
not sure about those pics - it looks like mold, but all the little stalks or strands are about the same length, which is not like mold, it looks like something the plant grew.

But don't put your trust in corporate weed - corporations do horrible things! One of the very first fully-regulated-up-the-wazoo medical dispensaries here had a huge mold scandal that was revealved by whistle-blowing employees - similar thing happened in Maine w/ illegal pesticides....

https://digboston.com/is-there-moldy-cannabis-in-mass/

http://www.pressherald.com/2013/03/25/state-marijuana-supplier-used-pesticides-violated-rules/