What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grinding Buds to Cook With ...

T

Teddybrae

this is a copy of an email I sent to someone who doesn't know the answers to the questions therein. Do you know?

I ‘ve just remembered something I learned years ago about decarboxylation from a guy at the ...... He didn’t use the word decarboxylation though. He said the ... ‘chemist’ was so concerned to retain all the plant’s goodies that said Chemist would grind up (or whatever he did) the heads in an alcohol bath. Like, below the surface of the alcohol so every vapour released from the buds went into his medicine.

I ‘ve been thinking about this and see that while most of the vapours will probably remain during a 10 minute bake of cookies at 180C, a quantity of useful, perhaps important, vapours may have already evaporated during preparatory drying and powdering of the bud! (Solution may be freeze drying?)

So IS IT THAT there could be greater loss of vapours while processing the bud than when baking????

Also, we note that the biscuits we make seem to get stronger when they’ve been stored for a while. Just like smoke improves when it’s been cured for a while. But it can’t be that biscuits ‘cure’ just like dope cures, because they’re made from buds that are already cured!

So how do the biscuits get stronger?????

We have an idea the oil or butter used in the recipe continues to draw resins from the powdered bud for some time after cooking, particularly if the biscuits are not stored in a refrigerator.

Anyone ... ?

ozzieAI

Veteran
hey teddy...those vapours you speak of are terpenes and they are lost during the heating process of decarbing if it done in the open. sealed decarbing tends to keep the terpenes from escaping. when you bake your cookies most of your cannabis is 'sealed' therefore maintains it's terpene content. only the cannabis exposed the air will lose it terpenes.

why your biscuit are getting stronger it that more of the THC is getting absorbed into the fats and therefore making it easier for the body to process and giving a stronger effect.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OR...
The cannabis is not fully decarbed once cooking is finished and as it sits, waiting to be consumed, some more decarboxilation is taking place.

OR...
THC is degrading to CBN which is non psychoactive but it helps put a person to sleep.

A lot of folks consider pot that knocks you out to be "strong" even if it's only a 15 minute nap just to wake a consume some more for a repeat of the same.

T

Teddybrae

Thanks Guys!

Thanks ozzieA1!

Mr Passion ... we are cooking Mango Haze which is claimed to be high CBD. This may link with your idea of degrading to CBN's. A further clue this may be happening is that one hour after ingestion there comes a strong desire to lie down and visit the internal movie theatre! not sleep but reverie! as you say after half an hour one can break the spell and return to normal duties.

Also re cooking: Gry posted a quote saying Bhang cooked for 4 hours was better than Bhang cooked for 2. So that also links with decarbing during storage.

Thanks

ozzieAI

Veteran
when i used to make canna butter i boiled it with water for 4 - 6 hours...6 hours was always stronger...and yes it decarbed during the boiling process,,,

St. Phatty

when i used to make canna butter i boiled it with water for 4 - 6 hours...6 hours was always stronger...and yes it decarbed during the boiling process,,,

So then it doesn't need the 250-300 F temps that some Decarb recipes recommend for Oven DeCarb ?

Seems like DeCarb can occur over a wide range of temps.

The smoke particles that make Bong-Water the Taste-Full (Full of Taste - not great taste) concoction it is - is that another example of deCarb ?

I would guess that the flame that produced those particles is roughly 840 to 900 F.

Unless smoking is totally disconnected from De-Carb'ing.

Maple_Flail

So then it doesn't need the 250-300 F temps that some Decarb recipes recommend for Oven DeCarb ?

Seems like DeCarb can occur over a wide range of temps.

The smoke particles that make Bong-Water the Taste-Full (Full of Taste - not great taste) concoction it is - is that another example of deCarb ?

I would guess that the flame that produced those particles is roughly 840 to 900 F.

Unless smoking is totally disconnected from De-Carb'ing.

Decarb can happen before after or during there is no hard and fast rule about it, other than. When you add something else to the bud flower or keif or whatever it does effectively alter the decarb point.

Infusing butter would effectively lower the Decarb point in theory, adding water to this will stabilize temps and removed some terps while it at it. Just because a crock is set to boil it doesn't mean that what is in the crock doesn't exceed that boil point.

for example, when I make butter, I vacuum seal everything into one bag, (sticks of butter, decarbed bud {i prefer to decarb ahead of time, its a consistency thing to me} and ice cubes from distilled water) toss it in a crock at basically tap hot water temp and let it go overnight.

Some prefer to make ISO, decarb it by cooking it off until stops bubbling then infuse it.

Decarbing isn't a specific temperature as there are MANY factors involved, it is generally easier to think of it as a range.

then you get into blending and that's a whole nother rabbit hole to fall into

P.s. a flame instantly decarbs and vaporizes the outermost cannabinoids and the embers from the plant matter continue the decarb/flash vaporization.
this is why some people light their joints like a candle then start pulling after the lighter has been pulled away.

St. Phatty

Decarb can happen before after or during there is no hard and fast rule about it, other than. When you add something else to the bud flower or keif or whatever it does effectively alter the decarb point.

Infusing butter would effectively lower the Decarb point in theory, adding water to this will stabilize temps and removed some terps while it at it. Just because a crock is set to boil it doesn't mean that what is in the crock doesn't exceed that boil point.

for example, when I make butter, I vacuum seal everything into one bag, (sticks of butter, decarbed bud {i prefer to decarb ahead of time, its a consistency thing to me} and ice cubes from distilled water) toss it in a crock at basically tap hot water temp and let it go overnight.

THANKS !

Sounds like a situation where practice makes perfect.

AND the test instrument people usually use to evaluate their product is, their own body.

Maple_Flail

THANKS !

Sounds like a situation where practice makes perfect.

AND the test instrument people usually use to evaluate their product is, their own body.

I wouldn't say i've perfected it lol, Just a lot of trial and error.

As a P.s. there were 5 people including me in these trial and errors.

4 out of 5 of us (the fifth wasn't consistent enough with taking it to give quantifiable feedback) ended up all finding almost mutually what we all found most consistently effective.

also, something to note, the majority of the bud were CBD dominate so that also takes into account when you are decarbing.

for medical purposes, we ditched butter after a few months for the most part. switch to a blend of raw coconut oil and MCT coconut oil now it kicks in like clock work no dodgy effecay times.Didn't end up putting in litchen but everyone at a snack that had litchen in it with the doses so it kinda worked out.

and for the oil infused it was a multi way blend THC dom and Cbd dom both in raw and decarb forms.

for daytime, focus on myrcine, for night time focus on caryophyllene