What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

bobblehead overtakes

bobblehead

Veteran
The original Headband clone silver gave me forever ago... lol It sat in a small pot for the longest time... This plant pretty much grew itself. It has some foul diesel stank.
picture.php

picture.php

Mister_D

Veteran
If you can't get the chem to root that headband looks like it might work instead :biggrin:. Dank lookin shit there, kudos to silver for sharing ;)

redbudduckfoot

Veteran
hey bobble, hope u are feeling better.

in regards to the cloning;

cloning has always been my achilles heel. had relative success with rapid rooters and clonex, then i didnt. then i did. then again, i didnt. lol. fucking cloning. then, everything changed about 4 months ago.

i have always been too stubborn/determined/cheap to buy an aero cloner. well, in march i convinced my partner to purchase an EZ-cloner 120. BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100% success rate. clones never turn yellow. 100's of clones in the last 3 months, just to have 3 times as many as i needed so i could cull many and only keep the most vigorous rooters. and of course the 100+ Outy clones i have been rooting in the last month or so.

100% reverse osmosis water, 4-6ppm.
EZ-clone "CLEAR REZ"(1oz per 5 gal) every 7 days
Hormex liquid(1 tsp per gallon) this shit has the all important indole3butryl hormone!
Clonex liquid fert(1 tsp per gal)

the key to my success?

EZ-clone brand Clear Rez. this shit is kinda expensive, but eliminates all bullshit in the reservoir. 3 Tbls every week. i can run the rez for 2 or more runs without changing the water, this shit keeps the Rez DEAD. no stem rot, even at 82 degrees, but i still keep mine @ around 74/76, by keeping my veg room at 71 with a portable AC. 15 min on/15 min off for the sprayers.

when i first got the system, i ran out of the Clear rez sample after the second run. i tried rocking the system without it, stem rot and the brown algae everywhere, so shitty. tried SM-90, smells great, but doesnt cut it. tried bleach, not good enough. ordered a 16oz bottle of CLEAR REZ back in April, solved all my problems.

so dude, spend the 350$ on an EZ 120. PM me if u have any questions. you have those super sick rack rooms, u deserve to have more clones than you have pots for. the root growth is amazing as well. 10 days max and i have roots like they show in an advertisement.

get it bobble!!! you have no idea how much weight is lifted of your shoulders once you have a never-ending supply of clones.

ps. i actually bought my first brick of coco; mixed in 1/4 volume of perlite, gonna try my hand at cloning in 5oz clear Walmart cups, a la DHF. soaked the coco in hormex and clonex liquid. wish me luck!

PEACE and good luck Bobs..............

Mister_D

Veteran
Red - you may want to try some cups of pure coco for clones also. I find I have better success that way vs coco/perlite mix. All depends on your enviromental condictions though. coco/perlite seems to work better in higher humidity (60% +), while pure coco functions better at lower humidity (>50%) IME clones like to be wet for the first couple days to get over the shock of being cut, then it's best to let them dry and tease with just enough water to stay alive to force roots to seek out more water.

bobblehead

Veteran
hey bobble, hope u are feeling better.

in regards to the cloning;

cloning has always been my achilles heel. had relative success with rapid rooters and clonex, then i didnt. then i did. then again, i didnt. lol. fucking cloning. then, everything changed about 4 months ago.

i have always been too stubborn/determined/cheap to buy an aero cloner. well, in march i convinced my partner to purchase an EZ-cloner 120. BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100% success rate. clones never turn yellow. 100's of clones in the last 3 months, just to have 3 times as many as i needed so i could cull many and only keep the most vigorous rooters. and of course the 100+ Outy clones i have been rooting in the last month or so.

100% reverse osmosis water, 4-6ppm.
EZ-clone "CLEAR REZ"(1oz per 5 gal) every 7 days
Hormex liquid(1 tsp per gallon) this shit has the all important indole3butryl hormone!
Clonex liquid fert(1 tsp per gal)

the key to my success?

EZ-clone brand Clear Rez. this shit is kinda expensive, but eliminates all bullshit in the reservoir. 3 Tbls every week. i can run the rez for 2 or more runs without changing the water, this shit keeps the Rez DEAD. no stem rot, even at 82 degrees, but i still keep mine @ around 74/76, by keeping my veg room at 71 with a portable AC. 15 min on/15 min off for the sprayers.

when i first got the system, i ran out of the Clear rez sample after the second run. i tried rocking the system without it, stem rot and the brown algae everywhere, so shitty. tried SM-90, smells great, but doesnt cut it. tried bleach, not good enough. ordered a 16oz bottle of CLEAR REZ back in April, solved all my problems.

so dude, spend the 350$ on an EZ 120. PM me if u have any questions. you have those super sick rack rooms, u deserve to have more clones than you have pots for. the root growth is amazing as well. 10 days max and i have roots like they show in an advertisement.

get it bobble!!! you have no idea how much weight is lifted of your shoulders once you have a never-ending supply of clones.

ps. i actually bought my first brick of coco; mixed in 1/4 volume of perlite, gonna try my hand at cloning in 5oz clear Walmart cups, a la DHF. soaked the coco in hormex and clonex liquid. wish me luck!

PEACE and good luck Bobs..............

I totally appreciate your advice, so don't take offense... but I've gotta ask how you used the bleach that it didn't work. Bleach is used in the medical industry for sterilization, so I have a hard time believing that something the hydro-whores sold you works better than bleach. Bleach or H2O2 are the standard for sterilization.

Anyway, I still have a bunch of sprayers... I could make an EZ cloner and do it the right way with all the neoprene inserts... I just had a friend tell me how he's getting roots in 5-7 days with his. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Red - you may want to try some cups of pure coco for clones also. I find I have better success that way vs coco/perlite mix. All depends on your enviromental condictions though. coco/perlite seems to work better in higher humidity (60% +), while pure coco functions better at lower humidity (>50%) IME clones like to be wet for the first couple days to get over the shock of being cut, then it's best to let them dry and tease with just enough water to stay alive to force roots to seek out more water.

I have to agree with you D, I've had more success with straight coco than coco/perlite for cloning. I think it has to do with the extra moisture and sealing the stem in there...

Anyway, when I go back... I'm hooking up a big heat exchanger in the lung room, and setting up half my veg room for cloning. I'm going to set up a flood tray for cuts in flats of perlite. I know this method will be successful. I'm also going to buy some more shallow storage bins to hold 8oz clear cups with holes drilled in bottom... and fill them up with coco, and coco mix. I was avoiding this method because it takes up more space, but at this point who gives fuck as long as it works. I may try the EZ cloner, but even if it's successful there will be some transplant shock like I just had a problem with... and I lost a bunch of clones.

A large part of this is the genetics... I don't claim to be able to root a rock... but I do have great success rooting Headband and Golden Goat clones... If I don't get excellent success rooting Chem D clones this next cloning party... I'm moving on. I'll never toss her, but she's not the only bitch on the block that puts out.

Mister_D

Veteran
Bobble - Something you might try is getting a deep clear container (12"+), I like fish/lizard tanks cuz they're rigid and cheap :biggrin:. Put the clones in that, as it creates a more humid micro climate that clones seem to love ;). Trays work just fine too, if your room humidity is already high enough. IME the most important factor in cloning is achieving the proper enviroment (75-78 deg, 60%+ humidity, proper wet dry cycle in the media) Strangely similar to how important enviroment is when growing hmmmmm.

gingerale

Veteran
Hey Bobble, cloning is a problem for me too. Been rooting in cups of water lately which is painfully slow and inefficient. Now I'm trying Rapid Rooters and they seem to work pretty decently. It definitely is strain dependent though. I have a Blue Cheese cut that roots incredibly well, even in water cups. Haven't flowered it yet but it should be a good one. Just about to put the first one into flower this weekend.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I've had some problem with my recent batch of clones, as well. I clone in jiffy pucks. I was thinking of doing a sorta hybrid perlite setup where I fill a container with a few inches of perlite, then add water and then place pre-moistened peat pucks on the perlite. That way roots aren't disturbed or damaged as much during planting (because the peat puck provides a layer of protection) but the puck never goes completely dry because the perlite wicks the moisture up to the puck.

What do you think?

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
Sucks about the cloning dude. I have a real issue till i started doing coco in cups. Clear 7oz plastic cups with holes drilled in the bottom. Coco has about 25% perlite in it, and i hydrate it with like 1/4 strength nutes, and I just make sure I squeeze it out so it isn't sopping wet.

I only put a top on after a day or two if some of them look limp, and that comes off in a few days. I water them with the same nutes when they are dry, which is usually in 5 days.

Hope all works out, that headband looks super dank. I need to get my hand on that one.

Keep it green dude.

aod

silver hawaiian

Veteran
That Headband cut was always nice and rugged and durable for me. The couple small disasters I had never fazed her - PM and spider mites, and she hung tough. Neither were infestations by any means, but surrounding plants would be affected, and she'd just keep chuggin' along, clean as a whistle..

Always rooted well for me too. :D Thanks for keeping her around - now that you've thoroughly outclassed me in the end-result.. :tiphat:

RespectGreen

Veteran
If u do coco again I've always had 90-100% success in the little 2-3" black square pots.. the tiny ones... Just wet it once with ro water, or I've used a light dose of liquid karma initially too, that made the yellow process that occurs when they root seems to not appear... N dip n' grow as the dip.. I only bought the easy cuz I'm lazy lol

I've rooted 4 trays under a 2 ft. 4 bulb t5 that was just sitting on milk crates on the floor in my basement... Set it n, forget... As long its relatively cool in your basement come back 12 days later, and you will have roots.... I've done it with, and without the domes.. but I do feel the domes help the first couple days at least... That last batch of 70 though I hit 68, and left the lid on the whole time with vent holes open, and just let it be like I said..

redbudduckfoot

Veteran
hey guys, its great to have internet again, been without internet for a few weeks. "friday night and broke as fuck!" lol, appropriate thread title.

so anyway, about the bleach, brotha bobble.

bleach is not the same thing as chlorine, and is not the same thing as Hypochlorous acid(Clear Rez). Chlorine Gas is pumped through Sodium hydroxide(lye/caustic soda) to make Bleach. Hypochlorous acid is made by diluting Chlorine in water. it may almost sound the same, but the way i understand it, it is different because there was no Lye/base added, to create the bleach.

anyway, when i tried the bleach method, i did a drop(out of a dropper i got at the hydro store) of bleach per gallon of water every 5-6 days. thats how Skype instructed m to use the bleach in a EZ clone rez. and the results dont lie. even with the bleach i had huge blooms of red/brown algae/bacteria/whatever/slime after 2 days. with the Clear Rez i am on my 3rd week and still no slime, and the last of the 120 OD are rooting up at the end of 2 weeks. i dont know about you guys, but 120 clones inside of 2 weeks is more than i need.

so anyways, a 16oz bottle is like 15 bucks or something, and i estimate i will be going through a bottle every 2 months, because once OD season is past the planting phase, i wont need 100 clones every 10 days, lol. i am gonna buy a case of 12 for like 150$ next week. that will be enough for 2 years, lol. 150$ to ensure i have perfect clones for the next two years? im fuckin sold, and anyone who says 150$ for 2 years of perfect cloning is crazy. i would spend at least 30$ a month on two bags/trays of Rapid Rooters. so that works out to like 720$ over those 2 years.

sorry for rambling, ChemD(clones awesome in the EZ, horrible in Rapid Rooters) got me tuned in. i might throw a pic up of my 1200w 14 plant VERT grow, on day 5 of flower. blumats with 5 gallon rez and brute trash can with constant waterfall overflow with a 260 gph pump. i am only gonna have to mix nutes once every 10 days, lol.!! setting up the horizontal 1K organic with the blumat/brute combo tomorrow, and probably will have the mothers on their own 5 gallon bucket buy the end of the week. automation is awsome!

ther i go again, haha, sorry.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
I can't help but post this link that greenmatter posted in my thread.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=219683

Seems that the culprit in these aero-style cloners is bacteria/funk up in the nooks/crannies.. Since I read this thread, I've read other folks who swear by using NON-set-out water (read: chlorinated) in their bucket/aero-cloner deals.

Seems to make a lot of sense to me - and I think the solution proposed in that thread is the commercial/non-stoner-sales-gimmick version of Clear Rez.. (I could be mistaken, but I think so)

I don't see how spending big bucks on what you can build for yourself is a solution to the inherent problems that lie within - that is, funky critters in the nooks/crannies of the pumps/tubing/aero system..

Hope that makes sense, and/or helps.

bobblehead

Veteran
Hey Bobble, cloning is a problem for me too. Been rooting in cups of water lately which is painfully slow and inefficient. Now I'm trying Rapid Rooters and they seem to work pretty decently. It definitely is strain dependent though. I have a Blue Cheese cut that roots incredibly well, even in water cups. Haven't flowered it yet but it should be a good one. Just about to put the first one into flower this weekend.

lol... Cloning in cups of water... You are old school!

I've had some problem with my recent batch of clones, as well. I clone in jiffy pucks. I was thinking of doing a sorta hybrid perlite setup where I fill a container with a few inches of perlite, then add water and then place pre-moistened peat pucks on the perlite. That way roots aren't disturbed or damaged as much during planting (because the peat puck provides a layer of protection) but the puck never goes completely dry because the perlite wicks the moisture up to the puck.

What do you think?

I think that sounds like a great idea. Mosca does something similar. I'll probably test a few out with a moist bed of perlite beneath them.

Sucks about the cloning dude. I have a real issue till i started doing coco in cups. Clear 7oz plastic cups with holes drilled in the bottom. Coco has about 25% perlite in it, and i hydrate it with like 1/4 strength nutes, and I just make sure I squeeze it out so it isn't sopping wet.

I only put a top on after a day or two if some of them look limp, and that comes off in a few days. I water them with the same nutes when they are dry, which is usually in 5 days.

Hope all works out, that headband looks super dank. I need to get my hand on that one.

Keep it green dude.

aod

Thanks for dropping in AOD... There's just one problem.. and that's that I won't be there a few days later... I don't come back till 1 week later. So either they make it or they don't. IME, cups of coco don't need a humidity dome... I used to have excellent success cloning like this. I also keep the humidity elevated in the veg room.

I hope everything is going well for you buddy... Are you off probation yet?

That Headband cut was always nice and rugged and durable for me. The couple small disasters I had never fazed her - PM and spider mites, and she hung tough. Neither were infestations by any means, but surrounding plants would be affected, and she'd just keep chuggin' along, clean as a whistle..

Always rooted well for me too. :D Thanks for keeping her around - now that you've thoroughly outclassed me in the end-result.. :tiphat:

lol don't judge the finished product until you sampled it at least... ;) This was only my first time growing her, but I've gotta say she was trouble free. I'm going to try and push her a little harder in the stadium.

If u do coco again I've always had 90-100% success in the little 2-3" black square pots.. the tiny ones... Just wet it once with ro water, or I've used a light dose of liquid karma initially too, that made the yellow process that occurs when they root seems to not appear... N dip n' grow as the dip.. I only bought the easy cuz I'm lazy lol

I've rooted 4 trays under a 2 ft. 4 bulb t5 that was just sitting on milk crates on the floor in my basement... Set it n, forget... As long its relatively cool in your basement come back 12 days later, and you will have roots.... I've done it with, and without the domes.. but I do feel the domes help the first couple days at least... That last batch of 70 though I hit 68, and left the lid on the whole time with vent holes open, and just let it be like I said..

Thanks dude... I need to catch up to you... It's just fuckin sick how well you did on your last grow... ha ha...

anyway, when i tried the bleach method, i did a drop(out of a dropper i got at the hydro store) of bleach per gallon of water every 5-6 days. thats how Skype instructed m to use the bleach in a EZ clone rez. and the results dont lie. even with the bleach i had huge blooms of red/brown algae/bacteria/whatever/slime after 2 days.

I think that 1 drop of bleach to a gallon of water is very dilute. I would use a 5-10% bleach solution. I was thinking about this after you wrote your first long ass post... ha ha... (just kidding, I like it when people share their knowledge) Anyway, I think I should hydrate my coco with a bleach solution, dip the clones in SM-90 solution, and then dip the bottom in clonex and stick them.

I'm gonna be a cloning expert eventually...

I can't help but post this link that greenmatter posted in my thread.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=219683

Seems that the culprit in these aero-style cloners is bacteria/funk up in the nooks/crannies.. Since I read this thread, I've read other folks who swear by using NON-set-out water (read: chlorinated) in their bucket/aero-cloner deals.

Seems to make a lot of sense to me - and I think the solution proposed in that thread is the commercial/non-stoner-sales-gimmick version of Clear Rez.. (I could be mistaken, but I think so)

I don't see how spending big bucks on what you can build for yourself is a solution to the inherent problems that lie within - that is, funky critters in the nooks/crannies of the pumps/tubing/aero system..

Hope that makes sense, and/or helps.

again, I still firmly believe that chlorine bleach will work fine at the right concentration... But thanks silver for sharing that source for a pretty much endless supply of chlorine! It's pool season! :D

D

DHF

LMAO.....Bobbles I`d bet you could root a rock cuz yer just as fuckin stubborn and determined as I EVER was........and...

I feel yas on that Chem D WHORE.......but guys.......

Don`t beat yourselves up bout rootin cuts cuz EVERYONE has problems and jumps to the next "bigger better deal" till it ain`t , and I mean.....EVERYONE.....but....

First I heard bout that clear rez shit RED and if yas`re havin 100% results then you da man cuz as you already stated and I`ve witnessed from many many folks is that bacteria forms in the nook`s and crannies of cloners and kills results that Bleach nor diluted 35% H202 can take care of ...

The best results have come from bleaching and H202 with a final "steam cleaning" with the new lil hand held shark thingy , but the clear rez could be the icing on the cake for guaranteed accelerated results......and for the record....

NOTHIN roots cuts faster than the aerocloners when they`re dialed and hoonin , but it`s risk versus reward when all croak and then the next set , and the next...etc...

My 16 oz solo clear cups with my coco 1/3 mix worked well even with that WHORE......just took longer....but guys....

80 degree temps and 80% humidity will make yas happy and put cups/individual humidity domes on top with holes drilled if they droop to increase RH , just take MEGA cuts for the most important reason cuz ......

No 2 cuts root at the same speed , nor do they grow roots and foliage after roots at the same rate , thus why the best bet is ta take the picks of the litter with the most developed rootmass so they`ll grow similar in pre-veg/veg and once in the bloom rooms through end of stretch......

Bobbles....Stay strong my buddy....you`ll be there in no time....bet on it....

Peace....Freds.....:ying:....

Last edited:

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
Ahhh yea I keep forgetting your 3 hours away.

Still have another 6 months on this probation thing, got completed early from my drug-program though, just gotta make my monthly visits.

Garden has been doing pretty well over here, finally have clones ready for a monocrop, so things should be getting even better.

Hope all works out well homey.

aod

silver hawaiian

Veteran
bobble - Did you say sampled the finished product? Sheeeyit, I mean, .. if I have to.. ;) We'll connect soon. What? You said you wanted that ND #1? To have and to hold in case I need to make room? Now we're talkin'! :friends:

On the chlorine bleach, I'm not zacklee sure what you mean, unless you're talking about adding reggalar Clorox.. At one point, later in my cloner bucket's use, I was adding about 4 drops to a gallon, I reckon, .. Seemed to keep the nasties at bay.

I guess my gut just tells me that a pre-fab, sexy lookin', multiple-site-built-in cloner machine is just as good as anything you'd build, .. I can't imagine there's anything nasty-proof about the materials with which the fancy ones are made, .. Like DHF has been saying all along, I think the challenges with those doodads is with the nasties, .. Either after running with some success for some time, or right outta the gate.

I'm anxious to break out the bucket for the next round of clones. I think I'll just start with fresh tap water, chlorine and all, but if things are stubborn, I'll spend $5 on a bag of neverending chlorine. :D

(If all else fails, I'll give the leftover bag to the asshat redneck neighbor behind me, who last year drained his bigass inflatable pool by knocking the side of it down and letting it flood into my yard, .. Straight into the 6' x 16' garden. Assholeface.)