What's new

250 Watt Vertical Cabinet

touchofgrey

Hello again IC maggers. I've been out of touch for a while but it's time to fire up the cabinet again for another run. Since the last run 10 months ago I was just keeping the bottom cabinet section in operation to keep my 4 year old OGer99 mother alive. Took some cuttings a month ago and they were about ready to up pot when I got distracted with life and didn't water for a week. Everyone died, it was very sad.

So, starting over. Pheno hunt with a new strain. Going with Berry White BX from Green Beanz Seeds. They are a local breeder who has put out some excellent genetics here in the PNW. It is a cross between a DJ Short sativa pheno Blueberry and The White. Looking forward to growing this strain out. Popped 8 seeds, moved the 4 survivors to flower chamber this weekend and got the blumats hooked up. Hoping for lots of females!

The plan is to veg these until big enough to get a cutting from each then flip to 12/12 and cull the males. Going to run a 250 watt again, in my last run with a 150 in this box I was not as happy with the yield so going back to the 250. When I set up the light last night I discovered a problem with the timer for the bottom section. The motor in the timer apparently died and it wasn't turning the light off - running 24/7 for god knows how long. I would have noticed if it stopped working during lights off. Probably contributed to the death of my mother and last round of starts. That's what happens when you don't pay attention!

Last edited:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice cab. Looking forward to seeing this round!

What do you use for ventilation in your cab?

atk7

you going to have your light mover in Action with the rotisserie motor this time? Pulling up a chair and gonna watch the show . Like your style.

touchofgrey

5th and Ghostmade, thanks for stopping by!

Nice cab. Looking forward to seeing this round! What do you use for ventilation in your cab?

The ventilation is a Panasonic WhisperGreen FV-13VKS3, 2 speed model. I've hooked it up to a cooling t'stat so it runs 50 cfm normally then kicks up to 130 cfm when the t'stat says it's hot in there. the last round of remodeling the cabinet is here if you're interested https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=281854

you going to have your light mover in Action with the rotisserie motor this time? Pulling up a chair and gonna watch the show . Like your style.

I got the light mover finished and installed. It does go up and down as intended but one kink left to resolve is the cord - it's a little too short and too heavy so it moves the assembly off center and screws up the reversing action at full extension so right now I just have a very elaborate height adjustment setup for the light, lol!

touchofgrey

Not too much of a show so far, this is like watching grass grow!

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I moved them to the upper chamber. They got over the transplant shock quickly and took off. I'm seeing a definite difference in one of the plants, it's sativa dominat and the other 3 are indica dominat.

The odd thing is the sativa dominat is suffering from what looks like over feeding - brown leaf edges and an upward curl.
sativa dominant Indica dominant
I'm on a blumat watering system so all the plants receive exactly the same nutes. The indica dominant plants are all fat and happy. Running with PBP grow, rootbastic and cal-mag. My meter needs cleaning so I haven't checked the ppm's but I will have to get it working so I can see what the level is.

Meanwhile, I took 2 cuttings off of each plant and was surprised to see all standing up happy after only a day in the cloner. Did a little reading on the strain and saw reports it clones easily - that looks to be true.

I took cuttings off a side branch rather than the top. I like to let them grow out more naturally on a pheno hunt so I can see the plant structure better. I'm height challenged in my cabinet so that can be a problem with stretchy strains but at least the indicas seem really compact.

I flipped to 12/12 as soon as I took the cuttings so I can sex them quickly. 3 days and counting! Interested in seeing how the sativa pheno turns out since it is a DJ Shorts blueberry hybrid. That would be great if it is a girl.

Last edited:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your cab is looking happy!

None of the plants have shown pre-flowers yet?

touchofgrey

Your cab is looking happy!

None of the plants have shown pre-flowers yet?

Thanks blynx, 100 watts/SF, Blumats and coco seems to make for happy plants.

No female preflowers yet but #2 is definitely a dude. He's in the compost pile now!

Looked the others over carefully and don't see any more balls but no hairs either. I'll take that as a good omen, seems like I recall males developing a bit earlier. Been growing from clones so long I forget how it works.

touchofgrey

and then there were two...

and then there were two...

Calendar says I'm at 11 days 12/12.

Bummer, another male. I gave it a couple days after I first saw signs just to be sure but chopped it down today. It was the sativa dominant pheno that I was hoping would be female. I've looked over the remaining two real closely and don't see any preflowers on them yet but I'm feeling pretty confident this male show is over. Or maybe that's just hopeful.

If these 2 work out it will actually be a nice experiment to do a run with that number. I usually squeeze 4 into this box so it will be interesting to let them spread out a bit. As soon as I see some hairs I'll start tying them back to the screen.

Meanwhile I cleaned out the cloner and potted up clones taken from the 2 candidates. One is a bit behind but it has roots coming out of the stem so I think it will be OK. Glad I took 2 cuttings from each plant just to be sure.

touchofgrey

Still not much happening but I will update progress for the record.

We're at 17 days 12/12 and still not showing preflowers. What I am seeing though is a difference between the structure of the 2 remaining plants. One is a bit more stretchy and lanky than the other which has tighter internode spacing and stronger side branching. Personally I favor the shorter plant structure for cabinet growing so #3 is looking like the keeper at this point.

Group shot at 17 days

#1 plant structure

#3 plant structure

Down below the clones are all happy. Even the straggler has new growth. All the males I tossed had roots so that makes it 100% for this round of cuttings.

touchofgrey

32 days

32 days

Since the last update both of the plants became full blown ladies. Didn't really see preflowers like I'm used to from previous strains. There was a small growth at the node where a preflower should show but they didn't ever show hairs. They did have a calyx shape so I was pretty sure they weren't balls.

They have developed with different structures, #3 has remained a much more compact plant with minimal stretch while #1 had to undergo LST. Another difference, #3 also developed buds about a week earlier. She might be the keeper, always have to wait for the bud test before you say for sure but at this point she's looking pretty good.

group shot, #3 on the right has a single cola and good sidebranching that I've tied off to the screen.

Latest posts

Latest posts