What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco problems

EvilJonas

Hey I have a problem.

My clones in coco are going bad, started few days ago.

Canna coco, clay pebbles.

Canna a+b, cannazym, rhizotonic.

Soft water, clean.
=====================================

I gave them first feeding with canna a+b with ec 0.6
1ml a+b and 1ml rhizotonic / 1 liter water with ph of 5.5

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=59906&pictureid=1405437

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=59906&pictureid=1405436

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=59906&pictureid=1405435

Are they hungry or am I over feeding.
Is the medium fucked up?`I cant figure this out.

I had to terminate my last growth because of this exact same problem.

George

What brand coco? Those plants look big enough to really eat. How soft is your water? Canna is made for tap water, water that is assumed to have enough ca/mg. if you're using soft water and only getting to an ec of 0.6 after adding a/b then I think that's a little weak for the plants at that stage.

Maybe flush out the medium really good, grab your water source and add ca/mg until you get an ec of .4 or so thn add your a and b and get your ec to 1.0 or 1.2 with ph 6 or so and retry(Hanna meter) If you're doing the same as last time and you killed your plants it's time to try something different if we want different results :). They're still healthy enough to save. i think you just need to start fresh in terms of the medium properties and work your way back

paper thorn

Veteran
Hmmm?! I don't get why some peeps put clay balls in coco. Coco works perfect by itself.

George is right, you gotta up your nutes.

And up your pH. 5.5? impossible to not have cal and mag defs at that much acid.

Shoot for 6.0. range can be 5.8 to 6.2. but i try for 6 and plants love it.

Granger2

Veteran
Soft water? Like with a water softener? If so, stop using that water. It's full of salt NaCl. Good luck. -granger

EvilJonas

Nvm I looked it up already.

Well I dont see flushing medium, there been in the coco for little over a week and I've fed them 2 times 0.6EC nutrient solution.

Now just few minutes ago I watered one of them with 1 liter of 1.0 EC solution will see if it cheers that one up.

George

George, I have epson salt is it good enough for raising cal/mag?
Or is it only for mag?

Well before you do anything give us a reading on the water before you add anything to it. you need to know what's in it before we know what it needs, if we just start changing things with no baseline itll be harder to figure out what's missing. Be methodical. Maybe the water is harder than you think, or not but a baseline is good to know.

Calibrate your meter then give us Ph, ec, ppm. Btw, I'm not an expert so take my advice with a grain of salt. I have had similar issues in the past and struggled before getting a better grasp on it, so I'm just trying to help you out with logical steps and an intermediate grower skill level.

MR_Falcon

Veteran
Hmmm?! I don't get why some peeps put clay balls in coco. Coco works perfect by itself.

George is right, you gotta up your nutes.

And up your pH. 5.5? impossible to not have cal and mag defs at that much acid.

Shoot for 6.0. range can be 5.8 to 6.2. but i try for 6 and plants love it.

this right here is the ticket. get that ph up to 6.0 & sometimes cheap coco will cause lockouts right after transplant if not pre-charged enough. good luck.:tiphat:

O

Oti$

Cana has enough Cal & mag, so you shouldn't need a Cal/mag supplement. I think if you just bump the feed up to 1.0 ec you should see better results. If you think the plants roots have filed out the plot you can start feeding daily. Since you are using a chow mix you should actually be able to feed multiple times daily once you get the plants healthy. Coco is great by itself, but when you cut it with clay pebbles, the fast drainage allows you to multifeed which gives you insane growth. They just look hungry to me. I water at transplant and wait a few days for the coco to dry out and give the roots a chance to spread out, then water (feed) every other day for about a week then every day. Once the roots are developed you don't want to let the coco dry out. I start feeding@1.O-1.2 ec and keep it that way through flower feeding multiple times daily by mid flower.good luck!

EvilJonas

I have now checked the medium ph its way too high, flushed them today. Will see if they bounce back.

I never had problems with advanced nutrients or hydro for that matter but this coco thing is really shit for sure.

EvilJonas

this right here is the ticket. get that ph up to 6.0 & sometimes cheap coco will cause lockouts right after transplant if not pre-charged enough. good luck.:tiphat:

This "cheap" coco is Canna's
But w/e

Runoff ph is over 7, flushed them with 5.2 to get runoff around 5.8

This coco growing is shit. Gotta go back to real proper system like hydro and advanced nutrients.

mowood3479

Veteran
coco is an awesome media to grow in.. imho.. how did u check the ph of the coco? generally if its off it will be too acidic not too alkaline.
if it were me id focus on feeding a full strength nutrient solution at 6.0ph... and repeat daily until the plants start coming around or show signs of overfeeding. ive grown lots of plants in coco. its very easy if u let it be. my two cents

mowood3479

Veteran
but there are lots of ways to grow herb, if ur happier using a different method go for it...
generally coco is pretty easy.. I transplant right out of the canna bag and feed @ 1.0 ec 6.0 ph for almost the whole cycle. ive had a few plants develop cal issues a few that had mag issues... but id say less than 2% have had any problems

ur issue mayb too high ph... id feed at 5.5 ph 1ec for a few days and id think in 10 days or so they'll be growing well..

Last edited:

EvilJonas

Well the flushing helped now to get the ph to stay down, around 5.8 in autopot trays and 1.0-1.1ec.

Added 1.5 liters of 1.0ec water between 6 15liter pots on top of the trays to get some nutrient around the top also since the growing tips started to pale.

Will see if they bounce back gonna let them alone now for a few days and see if theres any progress.

got some pictures also from current situation.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=60094&pictureid=1410405

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=60094&pictureid=1410404

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=60094&pictureid=1410403

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=60094&pictureid=1410402

EvilJonas

Anyone any idea?

Help someone....

Its still progressing.

So far flushing and 1.0ec new patch hasnt helped at all?

Autopot tray ph keeps rising every day to 6.4 even after adjusting.

Is my ec too low? There is zero change there anything else than fresh 1.0ec nutrients in the pots and tray.

What the fuck is happening to my plants what the fuck is wrong where the fuck can I get help seems I'm talking to my self are the forums dead?

Pragma

You seem to have a root condition going on.
Those autopot shits are just that. Shit.
Is there enough oxygenation going on ? Are the roots constantly sitting in water ?
You might have some root rot going on.

As for the ec, plants of that size should be easily taking 1.2 EC. You have been underfeeding for a while and using way too low of a pH. You need 5.9

Since you are obviously new I would recommend you just use plain pots and hand water them once every few days till they start needing more. If you can take those autopots out of the tray and use them just as normal pots you should prolly do that.

Also for the future I would recommend you either use plain coco or coco with some perlite added but not much. Coco and hydroton doesnt make much sense.