What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A sticky for Coco prep methods?

G

Thanks for all the tips and examples. I am germ'ing right now and mixed up a batch of 60% Canna bagged coco, 30% Perlite and 10% Hydroton. I start my seedlings in cut down 16 ounce beer cups and then transplant into 4" square pots once I get a nice little rootball going. When I transplant, the added medium will be closer to 75% Coco, 25% perlite with hydroton lining the bottoms of my pots. I am going to start on some light feedings of Rhizo, A and B from the outset and work my way up by a few ml's more a week. I'll be hand watering daily with runoff once they get into the 4" pots, but to start I will be keeping the soil damp with spraying in the small cups.

I've got 10 each of Master Thai's Heavenly (C99 x Romulan), Brownpants's Very Berry Surprise x Bubblegum, and the other 2/3's of my Advenruously Mixed Seconds from Spice of Life. The SOL seconds were very good to me last time around in 3 gallon soil pots, some of the nicest I have ever grown/bought/had/etc... After a month in the jars they are so fruity they will stink up a good sized room when you take them out, very nice! I can't wait to see how they perform in the Coco. I'm going to start a thread once I have everything in the veg area tidy, I'm really looking forward to my first go in Coco.

SOL seconds, 65 days, almost 3.5 oz's off her, could'nt be happier with the results, cheers! :joint: :wave:

nandro

gaiusmarius said:
try reusing it nandro, you will be so surprised, it tends to work just as well second time round. my current set of coco slabs has just been harvested for the third time and i'm getting ready to plant a fourth batch on the same slabs. no bullshit, i cut the old cube off and plant a new one in its place, not even bothering to extract the roots. i make 4 holes in a slab, use each hole 2 times, then i make a new set of 4 holes in-between the first set of holes and i use these another 2 times. so that's 4 runs in the same slabs, never once opening the slabs up. reusing the coco the way i do makes the slabs very economical and very easy on your back, lol.

Yeah, that's oustanding shit, my friend.

My broke-ass SHOULD be reusing whatever I've got, however; it's never been tried before!!! LOL!

I use such a small ammount per container these days, it's really never bothered me to throw away a few container's-worth. :bandit:

I will most-definetely give it a shot at some point in time.
Peace,
Nandro :sasmokin:

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
good info everyone, i will be attemptin to reuse my coco as im a tightwad and hate spendin on throw-away. :D
i used a few GH coco bricks in coir and mixed, in the beginning but they are unmarked mothers now. botanicares 5 kilo block has been my weopon of choice lately since its so cheap and breaks down to 65-70ltrs. when transplanting from peat pellet i use 1gal of tapwater(about 160ppms) and add a mild 300ppm solution of nutes then ph it to 6.0
once there, i add coco lil by lil untill theres no solution to absorb anymore. then its transplant time. im new to coco so dont think im tellin anyone how to do it, just how i did it. :D

B

bonecarver_OG

i normally re-use the coco from the smaler pots when im doing selection - but i will try later on to re cycle all of the coco - i mean the results look out-standing to say the least. also i hate throwing tons of coco into the garbage every year. its a back breaker as gaius says.

here i would maybe just have to add some insecticide - because thats the main problem here :D bugs love coco too.

i used to mix the used coco into the flower beds around the house when i used to live on the country side..

ah - here i get 150 liters of coco for 10 euro. thats so cheap - at first it doesnt seem necesary - but in the long run it does.

peace

G

For recycling I just do what I've always done with other hydro mediums. Fill the res up with PH 6.0 water with 5mL/10L of 50% H2O2 then soak the coco a couple of times over a day. Then I pull the main root ball out and tip the pots of Coco into a large trough I have, and let it air for another day or 2. Then I reuse it. Seems to work alright and I'd say that it would kill most organisms.
If i have it sitting in the trough for awhile I hit it with another flush of H2O2 water 3 or 4 days before I plan on potting it up.
Peace.

Latest posts

Latest posts