What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco/Perlite Mixes *Pics*

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
High ICMAG Coco-growers :wave: Here is mine:

50/50 coco/perlite
Botanicare cocogrow
Fox Farm Perlite (chunky)

I like delivering DO (Dissolved Oxygen) to the rootzone....hence the chunky Fox Farm perlite. I'd advise anyone considering perlite to avoid any "cheapo" brands...like the Home Depot stuff...it can get "mushy" and inhibit proper drainage...this is important...

I handwater daily...run to waste....if I forget or get lazy...no biggie....coco is very forgiving.

I like to break up my Botanicare coco so I can evenly mix it...not like powder...but fine pieces....the stuff can get dusty....

The Botanicare coco does not require prepping....just water the mix and let it aborb it. Be careful to leave some space in the container(s), as the coco will expand....I like leaving a few inches from the top of the container (a gap)....can always add more...if need be :smile:

Results from the first run (test grow)....

Please....feel free to share the knowledge and post your coco/perlite mixes....or any other inert mixes

peace
:wave:
-VT-

Last edited:
G

Good info -VT- :D:yes:
I was going to start a thread asking if the Botanicare Cocogro was good because I picked up a couple bales today. I couldnt find the chunkier perlite but Ill keep an eye out if its better. Thanks.... you answered many of my questions. Peace. :wave:

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
my mix is exactly like VT's except I use 30% perlite 70% coco and water every 2 days and I grow in buckets!!!

How often do you fed your plants VT.

(flowering plants)I feed 1/2 strength anvanced nutrients on Weds. and earthjuice bloom and calmag on every other Sunday.Still trying to perfect the formula tho. Plants seem leafy.
(veggers) advanced nutes+ cal-mag once a week-10days and calmag and liquid Karma at least once a week.

Last edited:

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Glad that helped Indophiliac :D peace brotha

cough_cough_eer said:
my mix is exactly like VT's except I use 30% perlite 70% coco and water every 2 days!!!

How often do you fed your plants VT.

(flowering plants)I feed 1/2 strength anvanced nutrients on Weds. and earthjuice bloom and calmag on every other Sunday.Still trying to perfect the formula tho. Plants seem leafy.
(veggers) advanced nutes+ cal-mag once a week-10days and calmag and liquid Karma at least once a week.
High cough_cough_eer :wave: I start babies off every couple days also...I wait for the surface to dry....once they start to branch....(a sign I surmise is accompanied by root proliferation).....I then water daily....I've this perception that it increases growth rates...however....when I've been lazy...remiss...I noticed the plants didn't skip a beat...

My theory (unfounded and not scientific...just based in my limited experience) is that more frequent waterings increase DO to the root zone...which I think increases metabolism...also...I am from the world of hydro :D I just like the idea of feeding daily...so the plant get what they need when they need it...and if there is an issue I can address it right away....as opposed to "waiting for the next watering"....I think it's more of a preference thing than anything....plus I love feeding these ladies lol...like interacting with them daily

An aside....I have respect for your work...you grow some dank...if ya ever turn on your reputaion...you'll see about 20 points from me...lol

peace

G

I have a tub that I take those slabs and pour hot water on em... its alot easier then breaking up with scisors...then i throw in some perlite and mix by hand...

G

hi all
i had to quit messin with those 5kg botanicare blocks for a while... about half of the blocks i bought had a high sand content and didn't expand well at all.
also, i always liked to flush them till the runoff was no longer brown

Maybe it would be optimal to even flush the coco from botanicare even if it was'nt too salty just for precautions to start from pure mix.

And on breaking up dry, I always get that same brick and just put it into the mixed nutrient water basin and can only easily break it up after it has absorbed and expanded. What are the advantages to breaking it up dry and having it dry ready in the growing containers. Is there much expansion upon moistening? Do you add any other ammendments whatsoever after that or is she ready to go for growing and liquid feeding? I originally automatically wanted to avoid breaking it up dry to not breathe any coco dusts, and wanted to make the mix absorb the nutrients from the guano and supplements water.

Would earthworm castings be a good organic ammendment for coco?

Is there a limit? In peatbased mixes it can be like 30% castings with no problemo. Is it the same for coco?

Like:
20% castings
30% Perlite
50% Coco

Would that work with supplemental micronutrients via seaweed and cal-mag?

Or are the castings gonna throw things off? Would 30% castings be unreasonable as they are said not to burn so much and carry micronutrients in themselves?

Last edited:

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Slickster said:
What are the advantages to breaking it up dry and having it dry ready in the growing containers. Is there much expansion upon moistening? Do you add any other ammendments whatsoever after that or is she ready to go for growing and liquid feeding? I originally automatically wanted to avoid breaking it up dry to not breathe any coco dusts, and wanted to make the mix absorb the nutrients from the guano and supplements water.
It wouldn't hurt to flush the Botanicare coco....I have found that it's unneccesary...but others prefer to flush it....
Not sure if there are advantages to mixing dry...I've tried both (like Jessee )...and when it was wet...it was messier mixing it with the perlite....just a preference for me...once can wear a dust mask for the dust (it's not that bad IMO)...breaking up the bales is laborious as heck though....but I prefer that than mixing a wet mix

I'm unsure as to exactly how much it expands...I didn;t measure this or anything....just noticed I overflowed containers the first few times.....and it got messy....

I follow the cocogro instructions and just water with Botanicare nutrient.....

Can't share much on anything else you've asked (hopefully some others can)....

peace

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
cool VT

this is just the thread we need to get all those hand watering systems documented. great to see all the innovation with coco coir.

i would personally not mix any; guano or worm castings in my coco. unless we are talking about a earth grow supplemented with 20 to 30 % of coco. in which case the whole thing can be treated like any earth grow. but once you get to 50% coco or more, then it's no longer a good idea. stick with inert stuff, like lava-rock, hydroton, perlit.

or make your life so much easier and stick to pure coco coir watered daily and watch your plants shoot up. :D

maybe you can do a side by side once VT?

peace :wave:

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
lol... what's up Soul Rebel....

gaiusmarius said:
or make your life so much easier and stick to pure coco coir watered daily and watch your plants shoot up. :D

maybe you can do a side by side once VT?

peace :wave:
I can do that....I have two Mental Floss Seedlings...but I am thinking two clones is a better test...I'll give it some thought and do that...unless someone else would like to beat me to the punch :D .....would be a cool side by side

Thanks for all the posts everyone :wave:

(this forum is getting active...that's awesome)

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yes this forum is really taking off eh? just shows how many of us were just waiting for this place.

i think you are right a side by side will be better using 2 clones, rather then 2 seedlings.

later
gm

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Ok....there will be a side by side thread soon....two clones same strain/age

peace

damakkus

West Coast ICer
Hey guys, I am looking into using coco and found your thread. I thought you might like to know that they sell a loose bag now - Cocogro 42.5 Liter/1.5 cubic feet (loose)

I have not tried it but it is already loose and thought it would help those with the dust problem breaking it up. Just my .02