What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tending Your Reservoir for a Full pH Swing and Cleaner Cannabis

LostTribe

Premium user
I asked you a few questions in response to your pm. I'll be happy to help out when I have that extra bit of info. :)

I haven't seen any major influence from the additives regarding ph being affected. I am also not using full dosages on any of them. Today H202 didn't affect my Ph at all.

Are we certain root rot caused Ph to become more acidic??

I see my batteries are dying in this new pen. Will check again tomorrow once I grab new bats and re calibrate.

Thanks a lot brother!
LT

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Ok, so the main difference is the size of the pump and silica blast. Pro-tekt raises pH, and .5tsp would be noticeable, but I don't know if Silica Blast has the same pH reaction.

Normally, I would say your res size is too small for a 1k. It seems with the smaller pump you were wetting a lot less rock? Now you're most likely wetting the majority of the rock, yes?

Though this would evaporate more water overall, my guess is you have a larger root mass and your plants are using more nutes, yes? If the ppms are dropping as the pH goes up, everything is fine. I'd only recommend increasing the res size to slow the pH changes a bit.

Apologies for the delay, RL's had a crazy schedule the last few days. :) I've never experienced root rot and had the pH go up. Are there algae which raise pH? I don't remember off hand.

Aspenou812

Veteran
I haven't seen any major influence from the additives regarding ph being affected. I am also not using full dosages on any of them. Today H202 didn't affect my Ph at all.

Are we certain root rot caused Ph to become more acidic??

I see my batteries are dying in this new pen. Will check again tomorrow once I grab new bats and re calibrate.

Thanks a lot brother!
LT

LT you still having problems with that feed system?

Aspenou812

Veteran
I thought I knew all about ph swings.. I've always let it swing 5.7 to 6.2... Grew some great bud... What I'm seeing now I haven't seen before... My plants at day 33 look better than past harvest at 50 days... I use CES nutes and let it swing 4.5 to 6.6 my plants look Stunning... CES has an additive called plant Amp and its all about getting Calsium into the plants as a major element....

Douglas.Curtis

Awesome :D

That's a lot more of a swing than I've ever used. From the beginning of flower, how many days does it take to fully rise to 6.6?

Aspenou812

Veteran
Awesome :D

That's a lot more of a swing than I've ever used. From the beginning of flower, how many days does it take to fully rise to 6.6?

Its a one week process... After I mix ill set the ph at 6.0 and add the plant amp.. That knocks it back to 4.5 for about two days and then it climbs back up...6.5 by day 7

LostTribe

Premium user
I honestly have no clue what's the root of the problem no pun intended. I bumped back to 1000ppm. Going to try and swap my smaller pump in but not sure the manifold I built will work with it being so much smaller....worth a try.

I am only losing .5-1 gal h20 per day. System holds 2 gallons plus 16 in the rez. When they ebb I have about .5 gal left in the rez. may just have to pull 2 of the 6 plants. I normally just run 4. Since they are in vert I was getting 8-12oz per. Everything looked healthy before going in here too they were under t5's. I even dimmed the 1k down to 600 and raised the bulb all the way up.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Plant Amp says it has soluble calcium chloride. How about calcium carbonate?

like:
Calcium Magnesium Powder Supplement - CalMag Plus with Vitamin C & D3 - Gluten Free, Non GMO, Unflavored - Natural Calm & Stress Relief Cal Mag Drink

Pure Calcium Carbonate Powder (2 lb) by Pure Organic Ingredients, Multi-Purpose Powder, Dietary Supplement, Antacid, Acid Neutralizer

Aspenou812

Veteran

like:
Calcium Magnesium Powder Supplement - CalMag Plus with Vitamin C & D3 - Gluten Free, Non GMO, Unflavored - Natural Calm & Stress Relief Cal Mag Drink

Pure Calcium Carbonate Powder (2 lb) by Pure Organic Ingredients, Multi-Purpose Powder, Dietary Supplement, Antacid, Acid Neutralizer

This is working just fine... Look at day 32 of flower...
7+ pounds off a 5x10 space...

Douglas.Curtis

Its a one week process... After I mix ill set the ph at 6.0 and add the plant amp.. That knocks it back to 4.5 for about two days and then it climbs back up...6.5 by day 7
Interesting. I shoot for 7-10 days at the beginning of flower, which sometimes decreases to 5-6 days at peak flower bulking.

The plant amp definitely raises the pH. I've never used products with chloride in them before, so I'm curious what the end smoke and ash are like.

may just have to pull 2 of the 6 plants. I normally just run 4.
I'm leaning toward this being your issue. I believe your plants are using more nutes than one previous runs, so your pH is going up faster. You can slow it down by increasing the size of your reservoir.

I use calcium carbonate. General Hydroponics pH UP Powder. ;)

Aspenou812

Veteran
I've canceled the order on a cone bottom tank... I have a Peabody on the way...
I flush with to for 14 to 18 days letting the plants consume themselves... Dying on the vine... Then trim and dry and cure... The smoke is mellow and smooth the ash light grey almost white and the ash is light and flaky as well...

Aspenou812

Veteran
Lost Tribe if you had root rot and your res is 75 degrees your promoting its growth.. Cool that res down and keep it out of the light... 75 is prime for BioSlime causing root rot... Do you have any visible slime? Keep the res between 65 and 68 degrees to prevent and slow the growth of your issues

Douglas.Curtis

While I appreciate the sharing of info, let's do our best to keep things on topic. pH swing and cleaner cannabis. :)
Ty :tiphat:

Aspenou812

Veteran
While I appreciate the sharing of info, let's do our best to keep things on topic. pH swing and cleaner cannabis. :)
Ty :tiphat:

Lol oops sorry D.C... That was totally the wrong thread about the Peabody... Back to ph... A 175 gallon tank would take me out a week on a single res... Allowing a full PH swing from 4.5 to 6.5 in 7 days... That's vital because as we know different elements are pulled up by the plants at different ph... I also spoon feed... If an element is needed by the plants the weekly swing allows me to spoon feed at a lower dosage with the same ph... So simple a caveman could do it... Super clean plants with zero buildup in the pots... That's what a proper ph swing gets you...

Earlmarne

I got me a headbanger cut that plays hell with a calcium deficiency( I think).
Ive ran my recirculating rez so as to swing from 5.5 to 6.0 for a little while now.
I have changed my jacks ratio to 3grams jacks, 2.5 calnit, 1 ca-10 with 1 2 ml a gal fulvic and 2 mil slf 100 with great results.
Im going to experiment with the headbanger with starting ph at 4.5 and swinging up to 6.2 and see if I can coax some more calcium into her routine

Douglas.Curtis

I got me a headbanger cut that plays hell with a calcium deficiency( I think).
Ive ran my recirculating rez so as to swing from 5.5 to 6.0 for a little while now.
I have changed my jacks ratio to 3grams jacks, 2.5 calnit, 1 ca-10 with 1 2 ml a gal fulvic and 2 mil slf 100 with great results.
Im going to experiment with the headbanger with starting ph at 4.5 and swinging up to 6.2 and see if I can coax some more calcium into her routine
I know you'll see improvements, though I'm not expert enough to advise on your specific mis. Definitely interested in the results. :) Have you started a thread on this specific cut yet? It'd be great to have it documented for reference. It'd be a great reference as this thread progresses.

Earlmarne

I know you'll see improvements, though I'm not expert enough to advise on your specific mis. Definitely interested in the results. :) Have you started a thread on this specific cut yet? It'd be great to have it documented for reference. It'd be a great reference as this thread progresses.
I just jam everything into my main thread.

handwerker

well, thanks for the thread. shows me, that im fine with my ghettotech

as im a lazy guy with no hitech, i just use tap water with 0,5 ec + nutrients on a DIY NFT table. every one or two days i add some fresh water and change the water every two weeks. i check the ph twice a day. when water is fresh, i add ph down, but when its not fresh anymore, the ph goes down (had seen up to 3.9). then i add KH+