What's new

dark before 12/12?

G

I plan on switching to 12/12 this weekend, my plants are about 5 weeks from seed, and have been on a 20/4 lighting schedule lately.
I have read that some people like to give their plants a dark period before switching to flowering, and was wondering what people think about it, and how long should they be in the dark?
this is my first grow so all input is appreciated
thanks

G

I heard the samething somewhere and it seems to kind of make sense. I always veg mine on a 18/6 light period. You don't get quite as much growth, but they do seem to preflower faster. :)

seeyouaunty

I veg under 20/4 also. I don't bother with any dark periods before 12/12, i find the plants react pretty much straight away anyway. I have to admit i've never tried the dark period, purely because i worry it might stress the plants unnecessarily to mess with the photoperiod.

phillykid

I've never tried it but I'm gonna on the next go. The thseeds website reccomends a 36hour dark period for the plant to reset it's internal clock before going to 12/12.

G

well i goave them a 20 hour dark period, and started 12/12 today... I swear i could see noticeab;e( like an inch or 2) growth after this dark period, but who knows. thanks for the replies

seeyouaunty said:
I veg under 20/4 also. I don't bother with any dark periods before 12/12, i find the plants react pretty much straight away anyway. I have to admit i've never tried the dark period, purely because i worry it might stress the plants unnecessarily to mess with the photoperiod.
I found a flaw in aunty. She can't count. If you run a 20/4 you have incorporated a 4 hour DARK period. You contradict YourSelf in this post. Not as smart as you would like the IC community to believe you are eh? Have you grown that BMR yet aunty?HeHeHe

seeyouaunty

>> If you run a 20/4 you have incorporated a 4 hour DARK period.

Yep that is what 20/4 means, that is obvious, no? yes?

I think the original poster was asking about an extra dark period just before flowering over and above the already present dark period. Some people advocate 24 hours darkness or more right before switching to 12/12, this is what i was refering to having never tried.

>> I have to admit i've never tried the dark period, purely because i worry it might stress the plants unnecessarily to mess with the photoperiod.

I should have been more clear, but the above text of mine does implie a dark period different to the current 20/4 photoperiod by saying i didn't want to "mess with the photoperiod".

Once again, sorry i wasn't more clear, hopefully you know what i was talking about now? If not i can explain further, just let me know.

G

This might help guys,
I copied and pasted this info from thseeds.com. It is listed under "grow tips":

3. Light cycles tip
In growing "motherplants, cuttings, veg" the light cycle is 18 on and 6 off. When Inducing flowering of plants to give your plants a good start, it is important to reset it's internal clock. To do this give the plant 36 hours of darkness before the first 12 hours light 12 hour dark cycle. Remember the dark cycle must be kept 100 % dark, any distruption can cause the plant to start to reveg (grow again) and / or hermaphrodite and we don't want any of that...

Incase you dont know, thseeds are probably the dankest seeds in all of amsterdam. If thats how they get things done, I'll give it a try too!

Latest posts

Latest posts