What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are my Clones Okay? - Looks like powdery Mildew

growforme

I received both of the clones and it looks like the grower had clipped off some of the leaf tips (probably hiding some deficiency/issue I guess). They were only $7 each so I figure as long as they grow I am happy, but was a little disappointed with the state they were in.

I picked them up and saturday and got them transplated into my home-made RDWC (credit to blazeoneup tutorial) system in my 4x4 tent - they went straight under the 4200K phillips CMH bulb in my Greenbeams reflector. There were some issues with the clones when I got them (not totally happy) and I have described more below. I have been giving them foliar mists a couple times a day with clean PH'd tap water with a few drops of GH Rapid Root starter.

I noticed the some of the small white spots that were on the leaves when I got them are still somewhat apparent (they were also a little droopy when I got them). I have not tried wiping the leaves because they are so small and fragile. The 818 plant appears to be less happy than the Alien, and I have tried to capture some of the spots in my pics (sorry I had just misted them before I took the pics). Is it possible the white spots are from my PH tap water spray?

Does anyone have any input on this? I am wondering if I should just leave them AS-IS and see how they are doing in a couple days - or if I need to start some kind of treatment (try to wipe them) now. I am hoping it is not mildew - and have good ventilation in my tent.

Nutrients/PH/Monitoring:
-1x GH Flora Starter Pack
-PH UP/DOWN Solution
-1x Blue Combo PH/EC/PPM/Temp Meter
-Current Water Temp 66-70 Deg F (was getting over 74+ F before adding ice packs)
-Current Humidity with humidifier running directly to intake is 45-55%.
-Clean PH 6.0 tap water
-1/3 of recommend dose of micro, grow and rapid root nutrients (Currently about 300PPM (500PPM scale)).
-Tent air temp around 75-80 Deg F

Link to my grow: First Grow Ever - 4x4 - 315W 4200K GREENBEAMS CMH - 1x Alien 1x 818 - RDWC

Alien Day 3:
picture.php

picture.php

818 Day 3:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

mack 10

Veteran
Can't really tell if that's just the salts out of your water
( left after the water evaps)
Left after spraying your plants?
Or poss pm. You will soon know if its pm , cause it will get worse.

Edit, to add looking at the pics again it does look like those fluffy pm spores
Get a scope and have a look. Pm will look like loads of thread type structures.

jewcebox

left over salts 100% wipe it off with some water on a paper towel.

if it comes back its the PM

also seems a bit droopy, probably from the transplant

(ive battled the PM monster before and i feel that is not him or her)

growforme

Can't really tell if that's just the salts out of your water
( left after the water evaps)
Left after spraying your plants?
Or poss pm. You will soon know if its pm , cause it will get worse.

Edit, to add looking at the pics again it does look like those fluffy pm spores
Get a scope and have a look. Pm will look like loads of thread type structures.
Thanks for the quick response mack! Going to pickup a big magnifying glass today and will post more pics.

If it is PM - I need to wipe the leaves very gently with a wet paper towel and then treat with SM-90 solution, is that correct?

growforme

left over salts 100% wipe it off with some water on a paper towel.

if it comes back its the PM

also seems a bit droopy, probably from the transplant

(ive battled the PM monster before and i feel that is not him or her)
thanks! I will try to wipe them gently.

I agree the 818 plant is a little droopy - and the transplant was a little shaky. I didn't completely bury the starter plugs under the hydroton, is this okay? I can see some small roots near the top of the plugs that are exposed to light - will those cause an issue? I know the main mass is inside the plug and hopefully growing downward straight into the wet hydroton. Thanks again for your input! jewcebox!

jewcebox

id move plants outside. so no spores fall off anywhere, if you think its PM its time to clean everything and check your air intake.

it being winter there isnt alot of the spores floating around right now.

if you got PM it means it came from the room already or the plant had it going into it

jewcebox

thanks! I will try to wipe them gently.

I agree the 818 plant is a little droopy - and the transplant was a little shaky. I didn't completely bury the starter plugs under the hydroton, is this okay? I can see some small roots near the top of the plugs that are exposed to light - will those cause an issue? I know the main mass is inside the plug and hopefully growing downward straight into the wet hydroton. Thanks again for your input! jewcebox!

not the best on the hydro world. but the plug needs to be getting hit with some water constantly to feed the little roots.

how far were the roots extending out of the rooter plug?

id also bury the plug in hydroton a little more

growforme

not the best on the hydro world. but the plug needs to be getting hit with some water constantly to feed the little roots.

how far were the roots extending out of the rooter plug?

id also bury the plug in hydroton a little more
Not much - maybe 1/4-1/2" at most when planted. The water comes up about 1/2" into the net pot and I can tell it is wicking up through the medium. I have also been spraying them 2-3 times a day and making sure the plugs get wet on top (not soaked).

Is it worth trying to re-situate these in the pots? I figured i could add a few more pebbles as well and get the plugs a little deeper...

jewcebox

no you will be fine.

the spray is whats cause the white stuff, anytime i foliar feed with lights on this happens.

as the water dries out so fast.

growforme

no you will be fine.

the spray is whats cause the white stuff, anytime i foliar feed with lights on this happens.

as the water dries out so fast.
phew - thanks again. going to give them a gentle wipe and do my misting tonight when the lights go out. the humidifier helps as well and I know the bottom of plugs are getting water. I am going to pickup a magnifying glass just to be safe and have for future inspections. appreciate it!!

jewcebox

phew - thanks again. going to give them a gentle wipe and do my misting tonight when the lights go out. the humidifier helps as well and I know the bottom of plugs are getting water. I am going to pickup a magnifying glass just to be safe and have for future inspections. appreciate it!!

always good to be more prepared then need something and not have it.

you are onto a good start! keep it up

mack 10

Veteran
I would bury them cubes a bit more under the clay pebbels.

Personally I wouldn't try and wipe anything off the leafs.
Just spray them down with water.

Good luck.

growforme

I would bury them cubes a bit more under the clay pebbels.

Personally I wouldn't try and wipe anything off the leafs.
Just spray them down with water.

Good luck.
thanks mack! wish I would have read and headed this advice LOL...just added more pebbles and buried them a bit more, but also tried wiping them. I wasn't able to get ALL of the spots off, but did manage to make a small tear in one of the leaves on the 818 plant (they are so thin and fragile). I wore gloves and used almost no pressure but still created a small tear; the stems and everything are fine so I left as-is and I'm hoping just that leaf dies off.

Will post more pics a little later as they are re-seated in more/deeper hydroton and now -1 leaf for 818 :/

growforme

Update:

I reseated both the Alien and 818 clones in hydroton and feel better about the plugs being a little more buried and how they are sitting:

Alien:

818:

I also tried to wipe down the leaves gently - whether it was PM or salt I wanted to see if it could easily be removed - and that backfired quickly. While not a catastrophe, I ripped one of the leaves on the 818 clone when I was wiping gently. Most of the spots wiped off but some still remain (especially on the 818) and I am hoping they will get better soon. I have a humidifier in the room outside my tent and have dialed that down to bring down the humidity just in case it is indeed PM.

I also believe the 818 plant is over-watered. The Alien seems fine but 818 is clearly droopy today and I can see the plug is pretty wet. Going to stop misting this guy for a while and see if he perks back up. I also upped my nutes just a little to about 410PPM (500PPM scale).

Alien post wipe:

Broken leaf on bottom left :/

Will keep this thread alive as I monitor the girls over the next few days. Thanks for the input so far!

growforme

After doing more research last night and picking up a magnifying glass - I am almost 90% sure that these girls have PM and that the white spots are not salt deposits. I wasn't able to get my camera to focus, but looking at it through the glass I could tell the little white spots actually look more like "threads".

Since my time/water/nutes are way more valuable than the $14 I spent on these two girls, I have decided to trash these two and start fresh with some healthy teens from another grower :) This will also shave some time off my first grow, so that will be nice.

I am cleaning down the entire room and mylar tent with a H2O2/water mix solution and will transplant the new girls tonight.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
I clip the leaf ends on my clones to stop them touching each other, spray with Trichoderma solution and that'll feed on the mildew

growforme

I clip the leaf ends on my clones to stop them touching each other, spray with Trichoderma solution and that'll feed on the mildew
thank bush dr - I actually already cut my losses with these two and will have 2 new teens transplanted tonight. It is a brand new grow environment (and my first grow) so I decided to ditch them and thoroughly cleaned down my entire room and system today.

I'll keep this in mind if I end up cloning in the future :)

jewcebox

if your colorado based i have some big ole clones always on deck like i wouldnt feel good giving someone clones that small lol

growforme

if your colorado based i have some big ole clones always on deck like i wouldnt feel good giving someone clones that small lol
Sure am! I'd send you a PM but don't think I can do that yet :/ I agree these 2 clones were in rough shape when I got them - and learning more everyday I now know they weren't a great starting point.

growforme

Sorry for the late update! Been a bust week at work.

I scrapped the two clones I started with since they definitely appeared to have PM. I cleaned the entire grow area down and sterilized everything. I also added a bug screen with carbon insert to the intake on the tent to help prevent future issues and will be adding hydroguard to my system for the new teens I am starting.

Thanks everyone for the help in this thread!