What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

bare chip or optics when running cobs at 125w

Cork144

planning a 4 chip vero gen 7 3500k light made up of two seperate bars using HLG-240h-c1750b drivers, giving me upto 125watts per chip to cover a 3x3 area, but im really scratching my head on if to use angelinas, bare chip or 100mm lenses.

Will be actively cooling each chip with a 120mm silent PC fan over a 150mmx150mm extruded heatsink to try maintain decent efficacey while driving at high power.

what would you do if you were planning to spend IC, as so far with angelinas its looking to cost 404pounds, or with lenses about 430

Koondense

Veteran
I have cobs at 50 and 100w, no lens or reflectors, working perfectly well.
I would use focusing equipment with low intensity cobs(25-40w) tight together.

Cheers

Cork144

I have cobs at 50 and 100w, no lens or reflectors, working perfectly well.
I would use focusing equipment with low intensity cobs(25-40w) tight together.

Cheers

thank you chap i had an assumption that lenses are better when driving at lower wattages to focus the photons better, appreciated, il just design it to take angelinas using the clamps

Koondense

Veteran
Cool, you can still take them down easy, if not needed.
I find it a bit strange you're going over 100w, the efficency will drop a bit over 100w. 2x60w would be better.

cheers

Cork144

Cool, you can still take them down easy, if not needed.
I find it a bit strange you're going over 100w, the efficency will drop a bit over 100w. 2x60w would be better.

cheers

more points of light really vs HPS, at 125w it should be about the same lumen per watt as a 600 hps, 125w is just the maximum juice I could give it, 250w per bar is better suited to cover a 4x4, probably will be running at 90-100watts, with the option of extra juice should i ever expand my space, plus im having more issues with IR than i am ventilation, my space is heating up too much with a 600w hps and ambient temps cant cool it enough, my fans strong enough to carry away heat from the heatsinks as the pc fans will blast that heat up andf toward it

Last edited:

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have been told that using reflectors can decrease the light output by 8%. I was told this by the manufacturer who included the reflectors for nothing, so I feel he had no reason to lie about it.

You can also moves the lights a bit closer to the canopy because you're getting a wider spread and not focusing the light into narrower beam.

Case in point - last run I had to keep the lights with reflectors ~16 inches away from the top buds or they would start to bleach. This run without reflectors I'm within 12 inches and have yet to see any bleaching. Same clones.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have been told that using reflectors can decrease the light output by 8%. I was told this by the manufacturer who included the reflectors for nothing, so I feel he had no reason to lie about it.

You can also moves the lights a bit closer to the canopy because you're getting a wider spread and not focusing the light into narrower beam.

Case in point - last run I had to keep the lights with reflectors ~16 inches away from the top buds or they would start to bleach. This run without reflectors I'm within 12 inches and have yet to see any bleaching. Same clones.

brown_thumb

It's often a delicate balance between complicating things enough for best efficiency... vs. keeping things simple for cost/ease/reliability/sanity.

Koondense

Veteran
I had 4x 95W in a 4x4 and it went pretty ok.

Will upgrade to 6x 95W, it's a figure I believe is near the optimal light levels.

Cheers

Cork144

I had 4x 95W in a 4x4 and it went pretty ok.

Will upgrade to 6x 95W, it's a figure I believe is near the optimal light levels.

Cheers

nice one chap appreciate that, do have my head scratching to if its worth me driving more chips with less power though, but think i will try out the four at about 90-100watts each, see how that goes and then tinker if i feel it needs it

Cork144

will definitely take head of that chap, going to run bare chips now i think based on mateys fairly unbiased opinion, he had no reason to tell you that if he was chucking them in for free, saves me a few pennies overall too:woohoo: