What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tagging Clones for identification Writing on MJ with Magic Markers

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
url

large around moms, small around cuts

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Those are some great ideas. I remember seeing 6 coloured pack of zip ties around here. I'll go shopping tommorow to see if i remember where i've seen them.. :D

but what to do when you don't know yet which are females? Then you also need to write down a number to identify related clones and mothers.

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
Those are some great ideas. I remember seeing 6 coloured pack of zip ties around here. I'll go shopping tommorow to see if i remember where i've seen them.. :D

but what to do when you don't know yet which are females? Then you also need to write down a number to identify related clones and mothers.

I write on zip ties with micro sharpies..

L

LolaGal

lots of good ideas, so far my favorites are the plastic swords, plastic ties and I like the glitter glue on the stems too.

good ideas ya'll!!!

so far the ink is staying on the clones. Looks like it will work. knock on wood.

L

LolaGal

I have a tendency to run 7 or 8 strains at one time. So it gets a little out of hand... Then of course each female from each strain must be cloned, don't wanna lose any possible good moms.

So I might have 10 or 12 different types of clones to keep separate.

where is that durn fedex truck today?

KnuckleHedd

I use Rapid Rooter Cubes in flats of 50. I draw a diagram of the flat and as I place cuttings in the flat I write the strain and a number representing the mother plant in the appropriate square. When they have rooted, I Plant them in little pots and place a piece of masking tape on it bearing the info. As I pot up, I simply transfer the piece of tape to the new pot. Works well for me.

KnuckleHedd

I forgot to mention that I too run multi strain grows. Hence the need for accurate labels. Currently 6 strains. I've never run more than 7 at once. Feeding gets too complicated with strains having very different nutrient requirements.

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
1" bits of twisty-tie stuck in pucks... it comes in 34721345823 different colors. All I've had to do is use what comes with my bread, and I have a 10-color coding system for my peat pucks. Hasn't failed me yet!

-s

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
http://www.balatrading.com.au/KeyTag.htm

these always worked pretty well for me, if you decide not to write on the leaves

I really like this idea, I found 1000 tags for 25 bucks online, I think shipping will be like 5-10 bucks. Still, it'd make everything MUCH easier and be reusable! I may try out Moldys colored zip tie deal, with my own flavor (add a little white tape flag so I can write strain name, date clone taken, and anything else). My vision sucks, or I'd try the write on them with a micro sharpie thing.

LOL at "dolphin-raping sharpie" MarquisBlack! :laughing:

L

LolaGal

Let's see currently running
WR, WW, Grape Krush, Sourbubble, Apophis, SSSDH/JH, Cali Orange, Ice Cool... surely I got one or two more I can't remember right now...

Got a few more strains today.

Sweet Seed Jack47, and the entire DinaFem sample line... blue widow, ww, power kush, blue hash, Moby Dick.

Also got some Hazelope, CaseyJones/Geisha, Mr. Nice Haze, and a couple more on the way... :)

I wanna buy some beans so I can get some of the freebie Pine Tar Kush that Benji sent in.... mwahahahahahaha

Last edited:

BudGood

Veteran
Sure is nice when you have so many strains keeping track is hard! One of those pain in the asses I like! ;) Nice line-up! :yes:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

lordy, this threads been up for nearly two days before I'd finally
noticed the title didn't say "Tagging Clowns for identification..."

M

medi-useA

I really like this idea, I found 1000 tags for 25 bucks online, I think shipping will be like 5-10 bucks. Still, it'd make everything MUCH easier and be reusable! I may try out Moldys colored zip tie deal, with my own flavor (add a little white tape flag so I can write strain name, date clone taken, and anything else). My vision sucks, or I'd try the write on them with a micro sharpie thing.

Combine those tags with the cocktail swords and you might be into something worthwhile...

muA

BudGood

Veteran
Combine those tags with the cocktail swords and you might be into something worthwhile...

muA

Nah, I disagree. The whole point is to have something that won't fall off or get lost, otherwise I'd just use regular old plant markers you stick in the soil. I want something thats physically attached to the clone, savvy? To each their own, eh? :wave: