What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Figuring out Cannabis

Foliage ft2 x cell density = light absorption = photosynthesis+photochemistry/RH+Co2 = transpiration rate = water/nutrient used / Time = Yield

Light
Most all growing place light from the top down witch becomes more inefficient the large a plant gets with more fan leaves. Well that's why you thin a plant. No! You want all those photo centers absorbing that light processing water and nutrients. The answer is to spread that light out from angles besides bottom up. To reuse light make sure it not wasted growing use reflective material. When you should have light from a vertical 290∠ horizontal 360∠ obviously. Maximizing total light absorption efficiency not depend Diffuse reflection from reflective service.

Nutrient
Proper NPK+Micro use with waist being most efficient/effective

Equipment
-IoT Computer
-Controllable Light intensity
-RH sensor
-Fan/controller
-Air temp sensor/Heater/AC
-Rez temp Sensor/heater/chiller
-Ion-Selective Electrode N/P/K +Micro
-EC/PH Probe
-Pumps

Ask a Question: How close is Lucas formula to optimal NPK ratio.

This is good subject to start with by using Ion-Selective Electrode probes to track cannabis plants use of nutrient over plant growth and development.

CaliNewby

Have you tried the "inner lighting?" I saw a LED from Dutch Lighting Innovations that you hang in between the plants. What do you think this will do for plant development?

Have you tried the "inner lighting?" I saw a LED from Dutch Lighting Innovations that you hang in between the plants. What do you think this will do for plant development?

96W Interlight Fixture little over powered optimal light spread wont be as efficient as can be.

My preferred lighting is an unusual choice of spectrum witch I have specific reasons to for. To accomplish even light distribution I'm working with LED lighting strip. 14.5W - 18W meter I will discus specifications of the light I'm using very soon. I am planning this all out to gain as much from this experiment.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I notice you're using an IoT. I am using a Raspberry Pi for monitoring. I have an Arduino that I am getting ready to interface for control.

Love to see your app. Here's a screenshot of mine. I monitor temp, RH, CO2, Light Intensity with IR, barometric pressure and moisture in the pots.

I can monitor my flower room and veg room by clicking on the pics of each room at the top of the page. I also did a cute little time lapse thing a while back.

I love my RPi. LOL I need to get the Arduino interface going. Then, the Arduino can make adjustments in the parameters based upon the RPi data. Pretty fun stuff.

Just curious what type of IoT setup you have.

attachment.php

Attachments

• RPi interface.jpg
    RPi interface.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 15

Speed of green

I notice you're using an IoT. I am using a Raspberry Pi for monitoring. I have an Arduino that I am getting ready to interface for control.

Love to see your app. Here's a screenshot of mine. I monitor temp, RH, CO2, Light Intensity with IR, barometric pressure and moisture in the pots.

I can monitor my flower room and veg room by clicking on the pics of each room at the top of the page. I also did a cute little time lapse thing a while back.

I love my RPi. LOL I need to get the Arduino interface going. Then, the Arduino can make adjustments in the parameters based upon the RPi data. Pretty fun stuff.

Just curious what type of IoT setup you have.

View Image

I would love to be able to log my data like this, is there a tutorial on how to do this?

I have no experience with raspberries.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I would be more than happy to share all my code but you would have to have a certain amount of computer and programming knowledge just to set it up and get it running.

In short, the Raspberry Pi is a LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) server and there are a zillion sensors you can buy to attach. Think of it as a smart phone with a bunch of input / output connectors. LOL

Here is a decent place to start if you're really interested.... http://www.raspiviv.com/raspberry-pi-vivarium-controller

Speed of green

I would be more than happy to share all my code but you would have to have a certain amount of computer and programming knowledge just to set it up and get it running.

In short, the Raspberry Pi is a LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) server and there are a zillion sensors you can buy to attach. Think of it as a smart phone with a bunch of input / output connectors. LOL

Here is a decent place to start if you're really interested.... https://www.raspiviv.com/raspberry-pi-vivarium-controller

Thanks for the info! my buddy is a computer whiz and has agreed to hold my hand so i will be starting in on this for my greenhouses.

do you know of a good PAR sensor for the PI?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
If we are going to discuss this, we should start another thread so we don't take it away from the OP.

I did start a thread a long time ago but no one seemed interested so it died.

I'll see if I can dig it up and bump it.

There are a zillion sensors available for the RPi. Some are better than others. I'll bump that old thread and list the sensors models that I'm using.

A proper electron prob setup is $$$ to figure out NPK MG/S MICRO consumption. This is going to take
me some time to get i also need too build air tight grow chamber to control all variables and max
transpiration water use efficiency is very important to accurately log. I'm currently reading
Plant Secondary Metabolism 31 Dec 1998 by David S. Seigler

The grow spectrum I will be using will be very different to most grow light.

vOAShkr.jpg

Attachments

• Industrial Grow Lightsetup .jpg
    Industrial Grow Lightsetup .jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Absolem

Do you plan on sending in leaf and flower samples to a lab and have them tested for macro and micro nutrient levels on a weekly basis to help confirm nutrient uptake and usage?

Nice setup.

Last edited:
Figuring out the optimal nutrient concentration in hydro water solution is going to be fun! First I will be discussing the different nutrient I will be using to maintain nutrient concentration subject to change.

Base nutrient +chelated micros
-5-11-26 Peters Hydroponic Special 5-11-26 6-0-8

Supplement/Control nutrient
-Calcium Powder Amino Acid 5-0-0 0-15-0
-Ferti-Nitro Plus 13-0-0
-Potassium Nitrate 13.7-0-46
-MonoAmmonium Phosphate 12-61-0

Micro Boost
-Peters Professional S.T.E.M

Do you plan on sending in leaf and flower samples to a lab and have them tested for macro and micro nutrient levels on a weekly basis to help confirm nutrient uptake and usage?

Nice setup.

Yes, macro and micro nutrient levels testing are important part of this.

thanks.