What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New grow room almost underway!

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
Hey guys I posted this over in the grow room design and setup without much opinion and advice. And what little advice I have got is slow and not really responisve. But here goes, gonna post this situation here and hopefully get more help. You can read through my plans and modify or adjust, I am completely open minded on this and just trying to figure out the best way to set up and vent my room.

Here goes---->

I am in the middle of constructing a new grow room. It is underground in a well constructed cellar burrowed underground completely except for the front 3rd of the wall. It is the only part exposed to the outside. So this place is very well insulated.

I have all gaps and cracks sealed, 3 coatings of masonry drylok, there is no moisture leaking in except for the window which will be boarded up and sealed soon.*

The total room area is 6ft and 2 inches high, 16 feet in length and 8 foot deep.*

I just got done building a studded wall out of 2x4s down the ceenter and left a 2 foot walkway/lung room. I am splitting the room into two sections and doing a flip flop so I can save on heating through the winter. That way while one room is on and the other is off there is heat (somehow) recirculating into the lights off room and vice versa at the switch/flip flop.*

I will be running 4,000 watts for now. The floors are gravel and dirt for now and I will be covering them in plastic and heavy duty tarps for the FIRST run. Then once I get some money built up on my next run in actually going to dig the rooms out about a foot more and concrete the floors. But for now I am on a budget and needing to get this built ASAP and thrown together which I plan on having it finished by the beginning of next week.*

I do have a veg/clone room in a separate location, this place is dedicated strictly to flowering...

Now what I really need right now is help venting this room and where to go with it all using the flip flop plan I have laid out. How many fans, What size fans, how many filters, etc am I going to need for the room size? I am going to use 6 inch insulated duct. I would have rather went with 8 inch but I already have tons of 6 inch equipment.*

Please someone direct me in the right way so I can get my grow going. I will have the room ready to vent by the weekend.*

Screenshot_20171207-072744.jpg

Screenshot_20171206-064509.jpg

Screenshot_20171206-064222.jpg

Dankdude

A figment of your imagination
Mentor
My question is, where are you venting out to?
If your venting into the other room it may create a problem with moisture.
The room with the lights on will have plants releasing moisture.
If it goes into the other room, it can cause a problem with powdery mildew and mold.

MountainBudz

My question is, where are you venting out to?
If your venting into the other room it may create a problem with moisture.
The room with the lights on will have plants releasing moisture.
If it goes into the other room, it can cause a problem with powdery mildew and mold.

Hey Dankdude, thanks for the quick response!

I can vent into the lung room, into the opposite room or I can vent outside.

As you can see in my sketch, I have many options. I originally wanted to use my heat from lights on to warm my lights off, And vice versa at the flip flop to save on heating costs. But I am not set on that as I don't know if it will work or not.

I don't know wether to run the room completely open (the entire grow on 12/12) or split the rooms and do a flip flop. I don't know if my dehu should be in the lung room or grow room or even if I will need 2 if I decided to to run them in a flip flop. I have two vent holes 3x3 inches That go outside, that were already made in the front of the cellar. They are located at each far end of the front wall about 5 feet above ground close to the ceiling in the lung room. I could chip these holes out large if needed or attach the duct to the wall and pull cold air in through one, through my hoods and out the other side.

I am trying to figure out the easiest but most efficient way of venting, heating and cooling and environmental control.

If this were your room, how would you vent it and set it up?

A sketch would be an amazing help to me because I learn much better with diagrams and by picture. Thanks again!

:tiphat:

Dankdude

A figment of your imagination
Mentor
Personally I would try to vent it out side.
That way your intake will use the lung/hall more efficiently.
The problem with underground grows is moisture. As long as you eliminate as much as you can, you'll be fine.

MountainBudz

Personally I would try to vent it out side.
That way your intake will use the lung/hall more efficiently.
The problem with underground grows is moisture. As long as you eliminate as much as you can, you'll be fine.

Sounds like a plan bro. I believe you are right about running a duct straight through from the outside cold winter air, through the hoods to cool the lights then back outside again. Then have another hole somewhere in the lung room to pull separate air as well for the intake? That's the part I need to figure out. I have the part of venting the lights but what about heating and cooling and environmental control?

Where is air in the lung going into the main grow? And would you run them flip flop or fully open 12/12 at the same time??

Rodehazrd

You might just, vent the lights into the lung room and put the dehuey there so far this run mine hasn't been needed. Also in my mind its easier to have them all on the same schedule, if you're well insulated temps won't drop that much if you don't bring in cold air. I just hang small fans up high and put an EZCO2 bag over each I had a vent fan set for 85 but it never ran so I shut the vent. The room gets a shot of fresh air when I come and go but otherwise I just stir it around. I run two 5x8 rooms one for veg with CFL and LED bulbs and one 1kHPS the hps keeps me warm so far twenties when the real cold comes single digits I burn a ventless propane heater on low. I have been told to make the passive intake four times the active output size. Six inch fan twenty four inch inlet. :tiphat:

MountainBudz

Fuck man I am so confused right now on venting and room setup it is driving me insane lol. I have been trying to figure this out for over a week now and I can't.

Is it possible to pull in the cold winter air through one vent in the wall from outside, through my lights to cool them then through back to outside and vent the hot air out and somehow still get fresh air into the room?? I mean my plan in flip flopping was to recirculate the hot air to keep the lights off room warm using the heat from the lights by venting it into my lung room and an intake in the opposite room wall sucking in that warm lung room air and at the same time it would be pulling the cool winter air through into the room from those vents/holes in the wall anyway.

I have to get this figured out asap.

SwampyTHC

I'd definitely vent to the outside you said you were using 4000watts are you running hps?? Me personally I'd run it solely as a flower room but if you are thinking of operating a separate veg area then perhaps you could get a TJunction to extend the cold air intake to vegroom. And again just get a Tjunction to add to the exhaust last thing you want is moist air being put into the flower room, that's going to cause you more head ache than the design.

Also the size of your room you might struggle to stabilise the climate/humidity etc with just 6" equipment minimum I'd say is atleast 10". I'm currently in the middle of setting up a large room, once complete ill send you some pictures ill be running 6000w under hps I could hide a midget in my filter if I wanted to lol granted I'm not underground nor have I ever been underground. But I can only imagine that's going to create a hell of a lot more moisture???

MountainBudz

I'd definitely vent to the outside you said you were using 4000watts are you running hps?? Me personally I'd run it solely as a flower room but if you are thinking of operating a separate veg area then perhaps you could get a TJunction to extend the cold air intake to vegroom. And again just get a Tjunction to add to the exhaust last thing you want is moist air being put into the flower room, that's going to cause you more head ache than the design.

Also the size of your room you might struggle to stabilise the climate/humidity etc with just 6" equipment minimum I'd say is atleast 10". I'm currently in the middle of setting up a large room, once complete ill send you some pictures ill be running 6000w under hps I could hide a midget in my filter if I wanted to lol granted I'm not underground nor have I ever been underground. But I can only imagine that's going to create a hell of a lot more moisture???

Hey man, thanks for the reply!

I do have a good sized veg room already in a separate location so this entire cellar is used for flowering only.

What you have said here sounds nice. I will consider it.

Here is a few more blue prints I thought up for what it's worth, anyone can chime in.

Screenshot_20171210-045917.jpg

Screenshot_20171210-045925.jpg

MountainBudz

Just want to say, I got it all figured out now thanks to a genuine intelligent fellar on a different forum...

Thanks anyway folks!!

:woohoo: