What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3" Rockwool Blocks are wrapped in plastic

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Hi,

3" Rockwool blocks are bare in the bottom, and have the plastic on the side.

Do they make a rockwool block with a biodegradable paper on the side you don't have to peel off before planting?

Thanks.

hazyfontazy

Veteran
the wrapping is to send the roots downwards ,,you dont really need to remove it ,,just cut an x in the slab you going to plant on and put the rooted block on top of it .

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Thanks. But I'm putting the block in soil. I'm using the rockwool to air prune the root system and give the girls a good root ball before they go in the yard.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
they have nice biodegradable brown cubes made from pressed coco, they are twice as expensive as RW and the whole is too big for the small cloning cubes and too small for the large plugs, lol. the plants do love them though, very good root development and the roots grow out the sides due to not being wrapped.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
If I use the small rockwool cubes, I could go that route as long as they'd take to the yard.

How old do you think these are? I'm trying to schedule things. lol

fa1e03a74ffc881b656d428c2d26e5f8--photo-credit-roots.jpg

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Awesome. Do you see an issue with planting them in forest soil at this point?

I have 400 acres of mature bush in my yard (plus numerous drainage creeks) and I want to take advantage of several hundred years of organic forest humus. :)

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i don't have much experience with planting in forest soil, the times i did it i used bigger cubes to start them off with, but if the climate is good and the soil is ok, they look more then ready.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
In my experience, rockwool holds too much water when planted in soil. Easy to cause a stem rot condition. It's designed to rapidly drain while sitting on a flat surface, and it cannot do it as well in soil. :( Though I have little experience, I would suggest using something which the horticultural world normally uses with transplanting to soil.

hazyfontazy

Veteran
In my experience, rockwool holds too much water when planted in soil. Easy to cause a stem rot condition. It's designed to rapidly drain while sitting on a flat surface, and it cannot do it as well in soil. :( Though I have little experience, I would suggest using something which the horticultural world normally uses with transplanting to soil.

true that ,,probably best to put the little rockwool cubes in into soil then repot to larger pots after :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts