What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help with orange stuff in the res

Dr. J

Hello I started using maxibloom trying the kiss method with tap water around 280 ppm. I am measuring 7 gr/gal of maxibloom and 5 ml of cal mag also adding 3 ml/ silica and 1ml/gal of root excel. I went to my res today and noticed everything had a real orange almost rust looking film over everything that was kind of salty. I have a pump at the bottom of the res doing a water fall loop with the water so it can mix and adding air stones. Any help would be awesome thanks!

Bwanabud

I just went thru the same problem with my large rez, it took a bit of diligence to solve the issue....element fallout

1) Make sure the rez water is room temp(above 68F)before mixing nutes.
2) Mix all nutes/additives in a 5 gal buckets, stir and let sit for at least 30 minutes before adding to rez.
3) Lower your Maxi mix rate, your base water is high elements...the saturation point is causing fallout/snowfall.
4) If you're using coco and have 280 ppm base water, chances are good that CaMg isn't needed...it's already present in the base water.
5) Rinse or clean rez and pumps every 2 weeks with fresh water, if the film/silt is pink it's Maxi,,,if it's orange it's probably Iron fallout.
6) Add a large whole house cartridge pre-filter to rez water line, to remove deposits and filter additional sediment from water...much of this becomes fallout.

Do you have a well or city water ?

Dr. J

Hey bwanabud thanks buddy! I do beilive it so be orange which sounds like it could be iron dropping out. Instead of 7grams/ gallon should I take it down to 5grams/gallon. I will also not be using the cal mag then and get a pre filter for the res! I am in city water and have it fill a res and let it bubble for 24 hours before using

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Sometimes to much aeration in the reservoir will cause strange colors or foam. Especially waterfall set ups.

Orange or red is normally related to iron. Is your water naturally high in Fe?

Bwanabud

Hey bwanabud thanks buddy! I do beilive it so be orange which sounds like it could be iron dropping out. Instead of 7grams/ gallon should I take it down to 5grams/gallon. I will also not be using the cal mag then and get a pre filter for the res! I am in city water and have it fill a res and let it bubble for 24 hours before using

Depending on age & how dark green the girls are, I'd drop down to 4ish grams of Maxi and see how they like it...many many times LESS is MORE. I just got thru some issues of over feeding, and developed strange yellow spots...same road you're heading down.

The silt/residue that lies on the bottom, is a very strong potion of elements that will wreck havoc with your plants. Lock-outs of elements will follow, in which generally you add more nutes to fix...bad move :biggrin:

I'd also dump the air stones, you don't need them for oxygen to the roots...surface provides most all of the oxygen anyway, and the air pump is driving very warm air into the rez...which leads to other problems. Stick with a circulator pump, I run all of mine on cycle timers to come ON for 5 minutes @ 1 time every 2 hours.

ALSO: I'd make a trip over to your local fish/aquarium/pet store and pick up a Calcium test kit, very cheap and will give you a real idea what your Ca levels are...a full water report should be available thru your local water company.

But at 280ppm base, and Maxi at 5% Ca...plus you add 5ml per gallon of CaMg, you're heading for serious problems soon.

Dr. J

Dude you da man bro!!! Spot on I definitely see the problem ahead continuing this way! I forgot to ask but you answered my question if the water was basically trash with the orange silt. So question are the circulator pumps the ones that sit outside of the res and are plumbed in? Or is it just a pump at the bottom of the res that comes on 5 min every 2 hours?

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Like stated it's the roots excel causing the film. If you need to use it then handwater it into the plants. Also ditch the airstones and that cal mag, not needed. also there is always some crap from maxi that sinks to the bottom, it's just a binder and nothing to worry about. roots excell has humic/fulvic in it that always causes shit to grow in a res.

Bwanabud

My fall-out problem has been a fight for a while, I don't use any [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]roots excel in my system. My sediment looked like creamy peanut butter, coating pumps/bottom of rez/wires...in my case it's from all of my listed issues in above posts, over saturation of elements force them to hit bottom.

A guy said "imagine your rez holds 100 Red marbles(saturation of elements), that's it's total capacity. And you want to add 10 Blue marbles, if you just add the Blue's...something falls out, you must remove 10 reds for them to "fit" in the same capacity"

It makes sense to me anyway, and it works.
[/FONT]

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
My fall-out problem has been a fight for a while, I don't use any [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]roots excel in my system. My sediment looked like creamy peanut butter, coating pumps/bottom of rez/wires...in my case it's from all of my listed issues in above posts, over saturation of elements force them to hit bottom.

A guy said "imagine your rez holds 100 Red marbles(saturation of elements), that's it's total capacity. And you want to add 10 Blue marbles, if you just add the Blue's...something falls out, you must remove 10 reds for them to "fit" in the same capacity"

It makes sense to me anyway, and it works.
[/FONT]

I don't worry about a little gunk that comes from all nute brands mixed in a res. I feed by ec. keep it low even in bloom 1.2-1.3 ec and you are never adding too many marbles. Put a screen on the pump and clean it and the tank once in awhile. No problemo. His problems are adding cal mag and roots excell and maybe too high a ec of maxi. I've tried almost all nute brands, slime happens. one thing also is you got to make sure no light is present in that tank.

Dr. J

I actually have had the lid of my res off as well. I am beginning to think I have a multitude of problems. So I am going to try putting a lid on, run a pump bi-hourly, kill the air stones, no more cal mag, and will be feeding the roots xl sepertly. Yeww thanks guys really do appreciate the help!!

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Are you using halos or something and plan on feeding plants in bloom that way from a rez? I tried to run maxi from a res and then through blumats to feed the plant. Didn't work. Not enough N in maxi and it caused the plants to start yellowing up in early bloom. Also feeding maxi like they say at 7gr per gallon comes out to an ec of 1.6-1.8 which is fucking crazy and will make yer buds taste like shit. I'm getting ready to try again and this time I'll go 1:1 maxigro and maxibloom at a ec of 1.3 tops. later in bloom I'll dial back the maxigro.

Dr. J

Yeah I just made some diy halos I do plan on feeding from a res. I do agree about it being hot for sure! This is going to Ben my first run using maxi as I switched from H&G. I am going to give the mg a run and try a 2:2 and try to stick to around 4grs/gal. How did you start off your run gr/g wise.

Bwanabud

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I carefully checked Maxi the other day here....7 gms.= 916 ppm + base water[/FONT]

Dr. J

Well I believe I got the problem resolved! I grabbed a bag a maxigro and used 4gr/gal,2ml/silica, ph down. I let it mix for 30 minutes and with water starting at 280 the maxigro and silica put it to 840 ppm with a 6.3 ph and no more residue!! Thanks for the help amigos!