What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What do I do with 100s of last year's lbs

Humboldt-hermit

This thread is intended to decide what is the best and most cost effective way to process bulk raw whole flower into a concentrate form in order to stabilize the products value and long term shelf life.

HWY36

This thread is intended to decide what is the best and most cost effective way to process bulk raw whole flower into a concentrate form in order to stabilize the products value and long term shelf life.

Going off GW's numbers, you're looking at 54 to 63 grams per pound. Typically, extractors want half the return so the picture is not so rosy. IF the extractor is completely honest and IF you get a 20% return, you're looking at 20lb of oil per 100 lbs of flower, of which you would get half (10lbs). So, your 10 pounds of oil turned into clear at 60-70 percent would yield you 6 to 7 pound of clear of which you could expect to get half=3 to 3.5 lbs of clear.
Most of the wholesale clear I see around here sells for between $7 to $12 depending on how high quality it tests. So, if everything worked out perfect and your distiller was highly competent and gave you back 3.5 lbs of clear that tested at 90ish %, you would get $19,068 selling all 3.5 lbs of clear for $12 a gram. That works out to $190 per lb of flower IF the scenario rolls out that smoothly. If you processed the oil yourself and found a competent distiller willing to work for half, your take would double to $380 per lb of flower. IF you took the distillate and made pens you could significantly increase that number. If I were stuck in your position I would eliminate the if's and dump the flower at 3 to $400 a lb and move on. I'm saying this and I have access to a large extractor. Hope this helps, best of luck.

PDX Dopesmoker

the bud to hash to rosin process requires very little cash input and likely results in a better end product, although maybe slightly less of it.

Easy7

Veteran
Static dry sift. There is a thread around where talk of mechanical static machines. No way is anyone going to hand static 100s of pounds.

CaptainDankness

Move it out East I can't keep up with the demand. California is one of the worst places to grow weed these days everyone and their brother moved out west to grow weed I almost went a few years ago myself a few friends have moved out there most moved back here. :)

Gtir

As has been noted above, your product continues to degrade and devalue, so I would suggest making a concentrate out of it.

If it is last years harvest, much of the chlorophyll will have converted to brown pheophytin, which will make the extract dark.

If the darker concentrate isn't readily marketable, there are some alternatives, such as bleaching it, making Clear, or growing crystals, which there is a market for.

Bleaching!? what is this! and how to I remove that pesky pheophytin?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bleaching!? what is this! and how to I remove that pesky pheophytin?

Bensonite clay for bleaching. Try by itself or add enough citric acid to turn the alcohol solution bright yellow, and then filter through Bensonite filters to bleach and neutralize.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
If this sits around long enough under light and heat, won't the THC begin to convert to CBN?

Isn't CBN being touted as the next CBD? One of the Breeders (might have been Med Tree or CBD Crew) was talking about how they are now focusing on CBN for their medicinal products.

If you pressed a pound or 2 and had it tested, and found the extract to be high in CBN, it might make it more valuable to some buyers.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If this sits around long enough under light and heat, won't the THC begin to convert to CBN?

Isn't CBN being touted as the next CBD? One of the Breeders (might have been Med Tree or CBD Crew) was talking about how they are now focusing on CBN for their medicinal products.

If you pressed a pound or 2 and had it tested, and found the extract to be high in CBN, it might make it more valuable to some buyers.

CBN is an anti bacterial, anti inflammatory, anti convulsant, analgesic, sedative and stupefying. Throw in a little b-myrcene and you might have the ultimate drooling couch lock.

It also tightens up the muscles at the base of my skull, which I often refer to as a Charley horse between the ears and leaves me with a hangover headache.

I understand it is also an appetite stimulant and promotes bone growth.

In my own case, it might be about perfect for lying around recovering from a broken limb, fighting to keep my eyes open long enough to stuff my face.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
It also tightens up the muscles at the base of my skull, which I often refer to as a Charley horse between the ears and leaves me with a hangover headache.

I have never had that from smoking but I get it after 5 beers. LOL Sometimes if I play drums all night I get it the next day.

I call it my "11's" headache from the Mel Brooks movie Life Stinks. LOL

You're the only other person I ever heard that had it. I thought mine was because I fell off a tractor some years ago and that part of my neck is all full of arthritis and broken up shit. LOL

So, you're saying CBN is worthless (or, pretty much so)?

OK, back to the raffle idea. LOL

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Bensonite clay for bleaching. Try by itself or add enough citric acid to turn the alcohol solution bright yellow, and then filter through Bensonite filters to bleach and neutralize.

Shouldn't that be Bentonite?

cheezhead

Humbolt Hermit- it would depend on the color. If you dried it properly it should still have a decent color. If not and it was wet when you sealed them, it's probably brown or very dark in color. If it's brown or dark in color, make it into distillate. With 50%+ of the market being concentrates you have plenty of options. If it's still got good color...move that shit cheap!

I saw somewhere in this post that it was a bumper crop last year for Oregon...Bullshit! I know people who lost 90% of their crop to mold. I talked with a 72 yr old grower that said that was the most rain we'd seen in 42+ years. You gotta know when to hold em and when to pull em! Good growers pay attention to weather and the plants, PERIOD! After all it's just farmin'...

Latest posts

Latest posts