What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

?? Rosin - Best Parchment Paper... or Something Else ??

brown_thumb

***This is a double post. I posted the same question in the "Harvesting and Processing" section but I think that was an error.***

I searched google and this forum but found no definitive answers.

For the first time today, I tried making rosin. It worked fine but it seemed to be soaking into the parchment paper making it very difficult to remove. The parchment is a budget 'store brand' but their stuff is usually pretty good.

The buds are home grown, cured for a month and stored in sealed glass jars at 70 percent relative humidity. The press is a vulcanizer with dual-heated plates.

Temperature was set to 210F as confirmed by an oven thermometer with the probe lightly held between the plates. The parchment paper is labeled as good to 450F. Press time varied between 5 to 20 seconds (experimenting). Pressure applied varied. The first attempt was too much pressure and the paper tore... other attempts the paper wrinkled just a little but it didn't tear. The temperature remained the same. What varied was time and pressure. All results were similar in ability to remove the extract... difficult and some soaked into the paper.

I've read that the silicon in the paper may not hold up well to the terpenes in cannabis, particularly limonene. Could that be my problem?

I've read that some folks have good luck with PTFE sheets (Oil Slick?) but others do not.

Is there a better brand of parchment paper or some other sheets suitable for making rosin?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Reynolds works better for me than any of the brown parchments. The thicker the paper the better, and ensure it is coated with silicon, not Quillon.

Wrinkling can be caused by excessive moisture in the material, among other factors.

Dixie brand, OilSlick parchment and Black Label seem to be the best based on reviews. I'm a cheapass and stick with Reynolds for now but I think I will order Dixie soon.

wilton parchment is good too. event the stickiest, tackiest rosin cleans up nice. you can get it at like hobby/craft/baking stores, or sometimes you can even find it at winners for a steal.